We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 12:41:02 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 12:31:41 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 12, 2017, 12:12:22 PM
Anyone that thinks DC will get banned is away with the fairies.

If procedure had been followed and he had been sent off then a 12 week ban was a certainty - the way it has been done thought is a balls and it looks like the lads are trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted.

If he does get off it will be a very strange message to send. I'm disappointed he's appealing, because he can't appeal severity of sentence, that's the minimum. He can't appeal that he didn't touch the linesman, because it's obvious, so it must be some sort of procedural point he is appealing on.

It's a procedural technicality he'll be looking for so CHC will upload the suspension and then it's appeal & DRA.

While he's totally guilty, I find the piety a little hard to take - the whole GAA disciplinary system depends on which game features on the Sunday game and who's the analyst. Graham Reilly get a long spell on the sidelines after the Dublin v Meath game last year?
The CCCC will zealously consider phone cam evidence of infractions sent to them by post. If they cannot identify  who the protagonists are, the Tommy Lee Jones wannabees will hunt them down until the evil doers are snitched out and justice is served.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:14:18 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 12, 2017, 08:05:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the ban. It's how it has been done that seems to be the problem

Absolutely. I understand that. I also understand the frustration when other get away with other stuff. However this is important. If the GAA is seen as being soft on protecting its officials, then we're heading down a dangerous path.

But considering the complete balls up made, is it not possible (likely) that the officials themselves felt they didn't need 'protecting'?

mup

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 12, 2017, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 02:32:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 02:25:08 PM
Heffo, what would you ask be done to the 3 Carlow lads? The Maor Uisce didn't do much except jump up and down and roar and shout.

All Connolly had to do, as hundreds of times every year, is do a bit of pulling and dragging, and then drop the ball and walk away. He only got thick when he saw the line ball was for Carlow. He wasn't complaining about the Carlow lads trying to take the ball off him.

Under rule are three players allowed physically remonstrate with a player off the field of play? If not, why is it Connolly's job to complain about it? Why didn't the ref throw up the ball at that point? Why didn't the linesman tell the ref what had happened? Why wasn't it included in the supposed debriefing?

Are team officials allowed roar at match officials in order to influence their decisions?

'You cannot put your hand on an official' though.

You're aware that it was called (incorrectly perhaps but called nonetheless) as a Carlow ball, right? Connolly was holding on to the ball, remonstrates with with the ref, puts a hand on him and yet he's still the victim??

Thats what t looks like to me. Mind boggling stuff.

Hound

In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.
FFS, if Branagan actually believed for one second that he was being pushed around, he would have told the ref to issue a red card instantly.

AZOffaly

But sure he was pushed, surely there's no question about that?

Buttofthehill

Not in my mind no. But there seems to have been in the linesman and ref's. Otherwise why not take immediate action?

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on June 12, 2017, 09:01:54 PM
FFS, if Branagan actually believed for one second that he was being pushed around, he would have told the ref to issue a red card instantly.

Obviously the linesman saw the incident and decided not to alert the ref. However, per the rules, if the ref didn't see it, then he can't be considered to have adjudicated on it at the time and so any sanction afterwards is valid

tonto1888

I don't think anyone has a problem with the ban. It's how it has been done that seems to be the problem

Absolutely. I understand that. I also understand the frustration when other get away with other stuff. However this is important. If the GAA is seen as being soft on protecting its officials, then we're heading down a dangerous path.

As an Armagh man, that frustration is high for me given Geezers ban.
I wish the ref had have just sent Connolly off and then all this discussion would not be happening

5 Sams

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2017, 02:31:14 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 12, 2017, 02:28:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 02:25:08 PM
Heffo, what would you ask be done to the 3 Carlow lads? The Maor Uisce didn't do much except jump up and down and roar and shout.

All Connolly had to do, as hundreds of times every year, is do a bit of pulling and dragging, and then drop the ball and walk away. He only got thick when he saw the line ball was for Carlow. He wasn't complaining about the Carlow lads trying to take the ball off him.

Totally out of character ;) ;) ;) :P :P

Is he the Down lad that training Carlow? Meant to be a decent trainer.

Thats him. Stevie Poacher. He certainly knows what he's doing when it comes to preparing teams. He has been with our club for about 5 or 6 years now. Working wonders with our lads but barking mad on the sideline...Davy Fitz is Mother Teresa compared to him (sorry Stevie  ;)) but a sound man who will get a big job soon.
The Aristocrat Years

lenny

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 12, 2017, 09:22:56 PM

As an Armagh man, that frustration is high for me given Geezers ban.
I wish the ref had have just sent Connolly off and then all this discussion would not be happening

The bottom line is, if this had been joe bloggs from carlow who had touched brannigans shoulder none of the sky tv boys would've been interested in it and the ref wouldn't have been told to put it in his report. Let's face it, it was a completely trivial incident which has been blown way out of proportion. A 12 week ban is ridiculous in this situation.

AZOffaly

I genuinely don't think that's true. Let's be honest here, he didn't 'touch his shoulder' he pushed him back. If it was a Carlow lad I'd be saying the same.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 09:57:11 PM
I genuinely don't think that's true. Let's be honest here, he didn't 'touch his shoulder' he pushed him back. If it was a Carlow lad I'd be saying the same.

Branagan had to take two or three steps backwards so he obviously put a bit of force into the push. "Nothing incident" my backside.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 12, 2017, 10:02:24 PM

Branagan had to take two or three steps backwards so he obviously put a bit of force into the push. "Nothing incident" my backside.

But why not do something about it then?

Wildweasel74

Dont forget the close up finger pointing too! Connolly has had issues but supporters try to find excuses for him! The appeal cultures by managers is rife even when players break the rules! How about a player take some self responsibility!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 12, 2017, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 12, 2017, 10:02:24 PM

But why not do something about it then?

Officials, like players, can get caught up in the heat of the moment and upon further reflection may decide that they should have taken a different action at the time.