We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 08, 2017, 09:36:33 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 07, 2017, 04:16:51 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 07, 2017, 03:34:02 PM
Way off topic here but you Mayo guys are unreal, look at this youtube clip. It has KK's red card in slow motion. It is absolutely crystal clear that KK struck MM with an open handed slap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlPbGHVA8FU

Definitely clear in this video, however Murphy should also have received a red in this case.

Why?

He has a hold of Keane's jersey, he doesn't throw a punch or strike a player.

Yellow for Murphy, red for Keane would have been the correct call there. If some lad grabs your jersey or gives you a bit of a shove and you react like Keane did and take a swing then you're looking at a red card. Brainless stuff from Keane at the time.

Murphy did more than simply hold his jersey and should have received worse punishment than Keane.

No, he didn't. Murphy did not swing at Keane. He grabbed his jersey and shoved Keane. Keane responded by swinging at Murphy and hit him in the face. Keane was a red card offence, there was no red card offence in what Murphy did.

nrico2006

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 08, 2017, 10:54:22 AM
Way off topic here but you Mayo guys are unreal, look at this youtube clip. It has KK's red card in slow motion. It is absolutely crystal clear that KK struck MM with an open handed slap...

Definitely clear in this video, however Murphy should also have received a red in this case.

Why?

Yellow for Murphy, red for Keane would have been the correct call there. If some lad grabs your jersey or gives you a bit of a shove and you react like Keane did and take a swing then you're looking at a red card. Brainless stuff from Keane at the time.

Murphy did more than simply hold his jersey and should have received worse punishment than Keane.

No, he didn't. Murphy did not swing at Keane. He grabbed his jersey and shoved Keane. Keane responded by swinging at Murphy and hit him in the face. Keane was a red card offence, there was no red card offence in what Murphy did.

Murphy shoved Keane in the face with a closed fist, the fact that he was also holding his jersey shouldn't hide the fact that this is also a strike.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Did any of ye hear what Marty Clarke said on BBC "The Championship" on Sunday that in Aussie rules if there is a scuffle during a break in play the ref throws the ball up again and play resumes which ends the messing.
Would be interesting to see does this work in GAA.

Hardy

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 08, 2017, 10:20:39 AM
Hardy said back in page 1 that the CCCC can refer incidents back to officials and ask them if, in the light of video evidence, they are happy with how they dealt with it.

Joe Brolly said "Once it's in the referee's report then the CCCC are entitled to act on it. If it hadn't been in the report there was a serious problem. The CCCC would have had great difficulty in dealing with it because it would be usurping the referee's function."

So go back to Hardy's point if the ref hadn't mentioned it in his report does the CCCC have no power to ask the ref to look at video evidence afterwards?

Why don't they just change this rule to allow the CCCC to look into any incident using video evidence and ask the referee to review his decision.
I was working from memory in stating that the CCCC can refer incidents back to officials and ask them if, in the light of video evidence, they are happy with how they dealt with it. I decided to check the rule. (Memo to self - check the rule before posting about the rule.) Here's what the relevant parts of Rule 7.3 say (part (e) seems to qualify part (f), so I'll put them in the reverse, but logical order):

(f) Disciplinary Action alleging Misconduct at Games Infractions may only
    be commenced by the Competitions Control Committee where:
       (i) The Referee's Report discloses the alleged Infraction; or
       (ii) The Referee has failed to submit his report within a
       period of 10 days after the Game concerned; or
       (iii) Clarification of the Referee's Report is received stating
       that the Referee did not adjudicate upon the subject matter
       of the Request

(e) The Competitions Control Committee may make a written Request for Clarification from a Referee:
       (1) where there is any ambiguity in his Report, or
       (2) where the Competitions Control Committee is in the
       course of investigating a possible Infraction not stated in his
       Report (even if the incident itself is disclosed).

So the rule doesn't mention video evidence. It does - in f(iii) – allow for clarification of the referee's report, on request from the CCCC.

However, it seems the clarification clause doesn't apply in the Connolly case. The CCCC may commence disciplinary action per section f(i), as I understand the referee's report does disclose the alleged infraction.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 08, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
Did any of ye hear what Marty Clarke said on BBC "The Championship" on Sunday that in Aussie rules if there is a scuffle during a break in play the ref throws the ball up again and play resumes which ends the messing.

I was at one of our league games in Clonoe a few weeks back, for the life on me I can't think who we were playing, but there was a alot of pushing, pulling, with perhaps ten players involved, the ref had blown for a free, then he just threw the ball up between two players not involved, it was so funny as you never seen ten players move so fast to get back into the game especially the defenders involved, it was really funny to watch how the players reacted to it. It sorted the messing

greatpoint

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 08, 2017, 10:59:30 AM

Why?

Murphy shoved Keane in the face with a closed fist, the fact that he was also holding his jersey shouldn't hide the fact that this is also a strike.

Murphy nearly squeezed the last ounce of life out of Keane, if Keane hadn't thrown that dig we would have been dealing with a crime scene.

Il Bomber Destro

Why?

You can't strike some one when you're holding their jersey unless it was made of spandex or 10x too big. It would be physically impossible to generate any sort of leverage. It was a shove and Keane stupidly overreacted. There is never a red card offence in what Murphy did. There is in what Keane did.

westbound

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 08, 2017, 08:04:40 AM
There is absolutely no chance that Connolly will serve a 12 week ban. Surely nobody thinks that, given recent history, this will not get either overturned or significantly reduced.

I don't see any possible way for the ban to be reduced as the minimum ban for the offence is 12 weeks.

Overturned? possibly!

It'll be either 12 weeks or nothing.

I personally think it'll be 12 weeks. I don't think it'll be overturned.

nrico2006

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 08, 2017, 01:53:01 PM

Why?

You can't strike some one when you're holding their jersey unless it was made of spandex or 10x too big. It would be physically impossible to generate any sort of leverage. It was a shove and Keane stupidly overreacted. There is never a red card offence in what Murphy did. There is in what Keane did.

Of course you can strike someone when holding their jersey.  What do you class as a strike?  Murphy pushed his closed fist into Keanes face, contact was made.  It wasn't a blatant haymaker, but still a strike.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TabClear

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on June 08, 2017, 11:24:38 AM

I was at one of our league games in Clonoe a few weeks back, for the life on me I can't think who we were playing, but there was a alot of pushing, pulling, with perhaps ten players involved, the ref had blown for a free, then he just threw the ball up between two players not involved, it was so funny as you never seen ten players move so fast to get back into the game especially the defenders involved, it was really funny to watch how the players reacted to it. It sorted the messing

I think  Aussie Rules deal with this really well. Any scuffles the ball gets put back into play immediately and generally you are only left with the two original protagonists still involved. Everyone else justs gets back into position. Really think GAA shoudl go down this route.

Just on the Murphy incident as well, the "jumper punch" is being cracked down on now in the AFL. It was a  loophole, seemed to be if you had a handful of jumper all bets were off and you could do what you want. Those guys got  good at it though

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/trent-cotchin-in-trouble-after-jumper-punching-fremantles-lachie-neale-in-the-face-ng-b88475548z

Fuzzman

So regarding the wording of the rule then.

Does that not mean that even if the ref hadn't mentioned it in his report, could the CCCC still not have requested Clarification of the Referee's Report, stating that the Referee did not adjudicate upon the subject matter
of the Request or is Brolly's point that he did adjudicate that no action was needed?

Where is the grey area here?

Does this mean that if in a game, a ref gives a lad a yellow card but the CCCC think it should be red then they can or they cannot ask him to review it?

Stall the Bailer

In Aussie rules that is ok as you have two refs. One can continue with game while other can make sure it ends. At county level, you could get the linesmen to keep an eye on the melee as ref continues with game. Any carding offences spotted by the linesmen could then be issued later. At club level though, it wouldn't work.

twohands!!!

Quote from: TabClear on June 08, 2017, 02:41:28 PM

I think  Aussie Rules deal with this really well. Any scuffles the ball gets put back into play immediately and generally you are only left with the two original protagonists still involved. Everyone else justs gets back into position. Really think GAA shoudl go down this route.

The only problem is what happens if a ref throws up the ball and 2 or more lads continue messing - what happens if one of these lads gets a broken jaw or something similar.
Also is the ref supposed to keep an eye on the two lads or is he supposed to track the action?

I would assume the AFL penalise/cite the players after the match if they continue messing when play goes on.
There's also the fact that it's somewhat easier to hand out match bans or fines in a professional game.
If you ban someone for 3 games in AFL, Rugby or Soccer it's a severe punishment but it doesn't mean the end of their season - if the GAA were to hand out 3 game bans for an offence in a championship game, the odds are high it will end a players entire season.

Edit : I was typing while Stall the Bailer posted about the two refs in AFL

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 08, 2017, 02:38:29 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 08, 2017, 01:53:01 PM

Why?

Of course you can strike someone when holding their jersey.  What do you class as a strike?  Murphy pushed his closed fist into Keanes face, contact was made.  It wasn't a blatant haymaker, but still a strike.

Not a strike. It was a push as he had a hold of his jersey. If you consider that a strike then half the Down and Armagh players will be facing bans for their next game. A strike is not making contact with someone, it needs a punch to be thrown and there was no punch thrown by Murphy. He grabbed Keane's jersey and shoved him back.

TabClear

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 08, 2017, 03:04:38 PM
Quote from: TabClear on June 08, 2017, 02:41:28 PM

The only problem is what happens if a ref throws up the ball and 2 or more lads continue messing - what happens if one of these lads gets a broken jaw or something similar.
Also is the ref supposed to keep an eye on the two lads or is he supposed to track the action?

I would assume the AFL penalise/cite the players after the match if they continue messing when play goes on.
There's also the fact that it's somewhat easier to hand out match bans or fines in a professional game.
If you ban someone for 3 games in AFL, Rugby or Soccer it's a severe punishment but it doesn't mean the end of their season - if the GAA were to hand out 3 game bans for an offence in a championship game, the odds are high it will end a players entire season.

Edit : I was typing while Stall the Bailer posted about the two refs in AFL

Agreed the two refs does make a big difference and I think Aussie rules have no in-game sanction, i.e. you cannot be sent off. Its all retrospective based on video and Umpire report. Not sure how its dealt with at  at club level over there when I assume they dont have multiple refs.

In AFL a hop/bounce ball is the normal way to restart if there is a sideline/maul etc even if there is no foul which helps. A player with the ball in AFL can be tackled as soon as the Umpire calls play on, he doe snot need to kick it.   Generally a scuffle in the GAA follows a foul so the referee cannot dictate how the game restarts as the team awarded the foul have to take their free.