We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

If it was the other way around ie. a Carlow player done the exact same thing, same match etc. would he deserve 12 weeks?  I think he would

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 07, 2017, 12:46:55 PM
If it was the other way around ie. a Carlow player done the exact same thing, same match etc. would he deserve 12 weeks?  I think he would

Did Brendan Murphy get cited for abusing Brannigan too?

Il Bomber Destro

Keane didn't strike Murphy though apparently.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 07, 2017, 11:17:59 AM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 07, 2017, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 07, 2017, 09:46:45 AM
Such a crying session about Connolly. Dublin will walk into the All Ireland semi-final. Go and enjoy the summer and learn the lesson.

Exactly. I'm a Dub. DC deserves to be suspended for 12 weeks. Can't see county board appealing this. Time to be move on.

I think you're right. This will be accepted and Dublin will move on. They don't need Connolly until August anyway (if at all), they'll sail through the games up to that. Appealing a decision involving aggression towards an official would send out the wrong message.....not least to officials. Discretion will be the better part of valour here I'd guess.
If he'd been red carded during the game, there would be no question of an appeal for this. Just like the recent Philly McMahon suspension was accepted.

But the way it's been handled leaves a bit of a bad taste in my opinion.

Everyone agrees that the hand on shoulder was minimal contact, but also that it techncially can result in a red card and 12 week ban. It's similar to swearing abuse at an official. And likewise it's up to the official to decide to let it go as heat of moment / no menance, maybe give a verbal warning not to do it again - or to decide that this is serious enough to warrant punishment.

(Incidentally, in my view the finger pointing close to the face was a lot worse, but its the more trivial "hand on shoulder" that's causing the ban.)

Branagan clearly decided immediately that this was "nothing". This is a linesman who has no fear about bringing incidents to a ref's attention (unlike some who try to keep their involvement to a minimum). He's clearly not intimidated by Connolly during the incident (the calmest person on the line by a huge distance!) and hearing Marty Clarke talk about him, he's seems to be a very confident in himself type.

Not long afterwards he called the ref over to get Brendan Murphy his second yellow card for an incident the ref had not seen (he also did similar in the league final).

In my view, Branagan decided this was an incident that did not deserve a card (there have been many similar instances in recent years of a player grabbing a ref to get his attention - pictures easily found of O'Connor, Gooch, Donaghy, McMahon and presumably many more, and the ref letting it go as trivial). But something between the end of the game and the ref's report being finalised changed the mind of Branagan. I think Dublin should (try to) find out the truth about what that was and then decide whether it warrants further appeal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 12:53:33 PM

Nice disguised Jersey hold-Punch from Murphy as well! We will just ignore that! I think you are right about Keane he should serve a year ban for that clip! Starting from the beginning of the this championship!

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 07, 2017, 12:37:23 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 12:16:32 PM
Quote from: blast05 on June 07, 2017, 09:32:22 AM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 07, 2017, 08:11:56 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 11:26:55 PM
Quote from: blast05 on June 06, 2017, 11:22:35 PM
Put yourself in the linesmans shoes .... you have 3 or 4 players jostling for the ball on the sideline after a kickout. Ball goes over the line. You award the line ball to Carlow but the Dublin guy holds on to the ball and a bit of jostling starts. Then ...you have Diarmuid Connolly screaming at you and pointing his finger, Diarmuid Connolly FFS, you have Carlow sideline and a few thousand people in the stands screaming at you, you know there is a TV camera behind you. Your heart is jumping out of your chest, you're can barely remember what has just happened. OK, calm down, gather your thoughts - what the fcuk just happened there? I don't know .... it was a blur, maybe i got the line ball call wrong given Connollys reaction. Was it much of a reaction ? sure all the Carlow lads were screaming at the same time. Oh fcuk it, let the game run, next time.

After the game....  'ah bolloux, he did put a hand on me, he was screaming in my face. Why the fcuk didn't i take a bit more time to gather my thoughts. Well f**k it. Sean ... come here to see this side line incident on my phone. I think we fcuked up and we should have made a call on it. It needs to go in your report'

Yes, of course i made it all up but this scenario (linesman and ref realizing afterwards as they togged in that they messed up and should have adjudicated on the incident) allows for CCCC intervention as i understand it.

The perhaps more amazing thing from the game is how completely ineffectual Connolly was. 1pt from a 45 with the last kick of the game. 2 pts from play in his last 3 championship games. Its all fine and well Connolly showing his genius when Dublin are hammering some team or other in Leinster, but (and please correct me if i am wrong Dublin folks) he hasn't consistently made a big enough contribution when it counts in the Dublin colours.

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has then, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

As a matter of interest and balance, do you find Colm Boyle's reactions to refereeing decisions acceptable? In big games in the past few years I've seen him jumping up and down in front of a referee and roaring in his face and the only punishment he has received is the ball being brought further forward.

Cillian O'Connor is far worse than Boyle for roaring at referees

You're use of the word 'roaring' undermines the point you are trying to make wrt O'Connor. What we do have throughout the GAA is a culture of players pleading their case with the referee. I don't like it and it should be stamped out. There perhaps is room for the captain to take a discussion a la rugby.
What we don't have - thankfully - is a culture of laying hands on the official in a threatening tone/manner and pointing fingers at the ref in an equally threatening tone or manner.

Is roaring in the referees face and aggressively gesticulating and motioning to him after he has made a decision or about to, showing the referee respect?

Mayo are certainly the most guilty county with it comes to attempting to put undue pressure on match officials. It's about time referees clamped down on Cillian O'Connor trying to referee games.

When did Cillian referee a game? News to me

Think he refereed a recent Hollymount Game! You of all people should know that!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2017, 01:03:10 PM

Nice disguised Jersey hold-Punch from Murphy as well! We will just ignore that! I think you are right about Keane he should serve a year ban for that clip! Starting from the beginning of the this championship!

How can you punch someone when holding their jersey. Keane is probably 13 or 14 stone so unless his jersey was made of spandex it would be scientifically impossible to punch him.

Keane struck Murphy, it was a red card offence all day long and should never have been overturned. Seeing Mayo people deny the blatantly obvious tells you what you're dealing with. Some even claim O'Shea never dived against Feemanagh last year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 01:08:39 PM

How can you punch someone when holding their jersey. Keane is probably 13 or 14 stone so unless his jersey was made of spandex it would be scientifically impossible to punch him.

Keane struck Murphy, it was a red card offence all day long and should never have been overturned. Seeing Mayo people deny the blatantly obvious tells you what you're dealing with. Some even claim O'Shea never dived against Feemanagh last year.

Of course Keane hit him. I am all for him getting a retrospective year ban.

macdanger2

Quote from: Main Street on June 07, 2017, 01:44:14 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2017, 12:08:34 AM
What's the wording of the rule relating to whether a ref sees an incident but decides it's not worthy of a sanction??

@tonto,  you're arguing with a troll, have a look at a few of his posts/threads ffs
Read GAA Official Guide part 1
rule 7.3 Procedures for Disciplinary and Related Hearings
Initiation of Disciplinary Action

Cheers main street

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2017, 01:21:00 PM

Nobody is talking about a year ban. Some of your own just have problems recognising indiscretions due to the jersey worn.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 01:31:53 PM

Nobody is talking about a year ban. Some of your own just have problems recognising indiscretions due to the jersey worn.

Who is not recognising indiscretions due to the Jersey worn? Name and Shame.

Farrandeelin

He didn't strike him in the face. Anyway, he should have pointed to the scoreboard instead of shoving him away.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2017, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 07, 2017, 01:31:53 PM

Who is not recognising indiscretions due to the Jersey worn? Name and Shame.

Five Points is one anyway.

Farrandeelin another one just there.

Farrandeelin

What did I not recognise? You can clearly see Murphy's hand blocked his face. If he did strike him in the face I would be the first to condemn it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 07, 2017, 01:42:13 PM
What did I not recognise? You can clearly see Murphy's hand blocked his face. If he did strike him in the face I would be the first to condemn it.

He did.