We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 06, 2017, 02:56:21 PM
Brolly giving an alternative view of it all on twitter.

Imagine Brolly being contrarian? He's always on about his U16s or whatever, how does he square that circle?

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2017, 03:02:36 PM

Imagine Brolly being contrarian? He's always on about his U16s or whatever, how does he square that circle?
His point is that the linesman and, by extension, the referee knew about the incident at the time. Therefore the incident has been adjudicated on and the CCCC can't get involved. That's what I took from it anyway.

yellowcard

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 06, 2017, 03:21:41 PM

His point is that the linesman and, by extension, the referee knew about the incident at the time. Therefore the incident has been adjudicated on and the CCCC can't get involved. That's what I took from it anyway.

Which, if taken in isolation, is totally correct. However it is a bit ironic since I'm fairly sure that there have been several instances of trial by TV over the years where suspensions have been handed down after pundits highlighted and blew up incidents.

It's no coincidence that a Kerry man and a Meath man were the 2 pundits calling for a 12 week suspension. On the other hand I never heard Spillane comment yet on the failed drugs test. It's agenda based commentary to suit their own needs. I'd say Brolly is just being contrary now to try and wind up Spillane. Every year, there is a growing circus with pundits and it is like a sideshow to the championship, particularly in the early rounds when nothing much is happening on the field, to see which of them can be the most outspoken or controversial.   

WT4E

Sorry if this has already been asked/pointed out.

Say Connolly does get banned surely its from the point of the disciplinary meeting cause as it stands hes still eligible to play at the moment?

mrdeeds

If Brolly says he will get off then he probably will seeing as Brolly is a Barrister by trade. Yet again we're talking about loopholes im the disciplinary procedure. This is every summer in recent years. Why not get someone qualified in legalities to reword the procedure to eliminate these loopholes. And how would Pat Spillane comment on drug testing when he's way out of touch. FFS DJ Carey said players should just eat fruit.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2017, 10:51:31 AM
Gaelic football will soon be a non contact sport. The truth is that the disciplinary system is managed by pundits in the Sunday Game studio who dictate by their reaction how incidenets are dealt with. Spillane and O'Rourke were in dreamland on Sunday night. Some lads need to grow up and lose the outrage and hysteria at what was a trivial enough incident, either that or just give Joe Duffy a ring to let of some steam. Connolly constantly seems to always be angry enough about something and is either as thick as two planks or just has a fuse shorter than ankle socks, but on this occasion I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill.   

Gaelic football is non contact. By the rules, the only contact you can legally make it with a shoulder charge. Any other contact with the ball carrier is a foul.

yellowcard

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 06, 2017, 04:15:12 PM
If Brolly says he will get off then he probably will seeing as Brolly is a Barrister by trade. Yet again we're talking about loopholes im the disciplinary procedure. This is every summer in recent years. Why not get someone qualified in legalities to reword the procedure to eliminate these loopholes. And how would Pat Spillane comment on drug testing when he's way out of touch. FFS DJ Carey said players should just eat fruit.

Out of touch with what? I'm not sure what you think he is out of touch with but it has never stopped him offering an opinion before.

nrico2006

Sure they still haven't tried to fix the loophole in the black card rule, that is if they even realise how ambiguous it is.Embarassing how the GAA is governed, everybody has an agenda and usually it involves bettering themselves and themselves only.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mrdeeds

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2017, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 06, 2017, 04:15:12 PM

Out of touch with what? I'm not sure what you think he is out of touch with but it has never stopped him offering an opinion before.

In this case it would be modern conditioning but also modern football. Any defensive strategy is simply referred to as the blanket regardless of what the set up is.

Boycey

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2017, 03:38:29 PM

Which, if taken in isolation, is totally correct. However it is a bit ironic since I'm fairly sure that there have been several instances of trial by TV over the years where suspensions have been handed down after pundits highlighted and blew up incidents.

It's no coincidence that a Kerry man and a Meath man were the 2 pundits calling for a 12 week suspension. On the other hand I never heard Spillane comment yet on the failed drugs test. It's agenda based commentary to suit their own needs. I'd say Brolly is just being contrary now to try and wind up Spillane. Every year, there is a growing circus with pundits and it is like a sideshow to the championship, particularly in the early rounds when nothing much is happening on the field, to see which of them can be the most outspoken or controversial.   

What would Paul Caffreys agenda for saying Connolly should get a 12 week ban?

Is it only people whose opinion is different than yours that have an agenda?

Maybe some of us just think what he did was wrong and he should suffer the consequences..

yellowcard

Quote from: Boycey on June 06, 2017, 05:27:23 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2017, 03:38:29 PM

What would Paul Caffreys agenda for saying Connolly should get a 12 week ban?

Is it only people whose opinion is different than yours that have an agenda?

Maybe some of us just think what he did was wrong and he should suffer the consequences..

His agenda is that he gets remunerated to write newspaper articles for the Daily Mirror. Controversy sells and Caffrey has stirred debate which is what a lot of these pundits do. Look at pundits like Bernard Flynn, Brolly and Parkinson, they know what buttons to push to keep themselves relevant in order to hoover up the media work.

longballin

Been reported he got 12 weeks, won't be back until All Ireland semi-final. Echoes of Paul Galvin

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: longballin on June 06, 2017, 05:48:37 PM
Been reported he got 12 weeks, won't be back until All Ireland semi-final. Echoes of Paul Galvin

Nothing on Babestation - I've just, ahem, checked

ballinaman

Quote from: longballin on June 06, 2017, 05:48:37 PM
Dublin barristers on the way

yellowcard

Victory for media pundits and those expressing faux outrage. The referee presumably had it in his report. Which begs the question why didn't the linesman tell the referee at the time and give him a red card or was he influenced by the reaction on the Sunday Game afterwards.