Mother and Baby Home Report

Started by Godsown, January 13, 2021, 09:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 13, 2021, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 13, 2021, 10:56:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2021, 09:59:40 AM
Watching a Danish thriller on BBC player, called DNA, when I say Danish its French/English and Polish..

Anyway the storyline is about a convent that takes in unmarried pregnant mothers and 'sells/adopt's' their babies off, Obviously fictional storyline but based on events that went/go on in modern day Poland, so this stuff was and is still going on around the world!!

Terrible that a institution like the Catholic Church allows this to happen

Allows is too kind of a word MR.

The Catholic Church created a culture where the likes of a young girl getting pregnant out of wedlock was seen as a shame and stain on the family and indeed parish/community and needed to be hidden away from "decent" society.

They were aided and abetted by weak governments driven by the same dogma through time.

What was uncovered in Tuam would make any organisation involved in that ashamed to their dying day, pro life my arse.

That pretty much sums it up for me, the culture of fear that existed in society which was created by the church (and abetted by the state) is a disgrace to us as a country

The blame lies 100% at the church and its closeness to the state. These people educated our parents and grandparents, created this climate of fear and shame and then compounded it by running these hell holes. It is the main reason that would not darken the door of their rotten churches. If there is a hell that's where you will find them, those bishops, nuns and priests.

whitey

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Window-June-Goulding/dp/0091902053

If you have the time , read this book written by a midwife who worked in the Bessborough home

The reason this book is so important is that it was written by someone who had first hand experience of what went on, but unlike the "holy" nuns she was in the side of the "inmates"

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on January 13, 2021, 12:30:42 PM

If you have the time , read this book written by a midwife who worked in the Bessborough home

The reason this book is so important is that it was written by someone who had first hand experience of what went on, but unlike the "holy" nuns she was in the side of the "inmates"

I doubt I could stomach it. I read someone else earlier saying they feel shame for this. I say cast of your catholic upbringing, stop giving these f**kers money. Pray direct to your god if you want to. You will feel a whole lot better about yourself. We should not feel shame about something that happened that we had no control on. 25 years ago I told the church to f**k off, best decision I ever made.

dublin7

An issue for me would be the fact someone leaked the report to the indo for a few quid. There's no political or personal gain for anyone or any party by doing it so it can only have been done for money.

Survivors of the home who expected to be given the report ahead of its publication would have seen it splashed all over the front of the paper last Sunday. That wasn't right but of course we'll never find out who leaked it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on January 13, 2021, 12:54:52 PM
An issue for me would be the fact someone leaked the report to the indo for a few quid. There's no political or personal gain for anyone or any party by doing it so it can only have been done for money.

Survivors of the home who expected to be given the report ahead of its publication would have seen it splashed all over the front of the paper last Sunday. That wasn't right but of course we'll never find out who leaked it

I would say the families would have wished this was leaked out when it happened!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on January 13, 2021, 12:39:07 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 13, 2021, 12:30:42 PM

I doubt I could stomach it. I read someone else earlier saying they feel shame for this. I say cast of your catholic upbringing, stop giving these f**kers money. Pray direct to your god if you want to. You will feel a whole lot better about yourself. We should not feel shame about something that happened that we had no control on. 25 years ago I told the church to f**k off, best decision I ever made.

The crazy thing is the nuns actually tried to trap this lady into never being able to leave to get married. If I have it on Kindle I'll post up the details......apart from the other stuff, which we already knew, this was absolutely mind boggling

sid waddell

The climate of fear then which led to things like mother and baby homes, Magdalene laundries and industrial schools finds its equivalent in today's reactionary right-wing

It is Gemma O'Doherty, Hermann Kelly, anti-mask demonstrators, conspiracy theorists, John McGuirk and "Gript.ie", Leo Sherlock and "theLiberal.ie", David Quinn, Maria Steen and the IONA Institute, Peadar Toibin and AontĂș, Lucinda Creighton and Renua, the No campaign in the Repeal the 8th referendum, rogue, lying, vulture crisis pregnancy agencies like Giannacare, the No campaign in the marriage referendum, anti-immigrant demonstrators, public figures like George Hook

It is important to know our rotten history and who and what was responsible for it

It is even more important to see who perpetuates that ideology today

They haven't gone away you know

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/appalling-death-rates-the-mother-and-baby-homes-investigated-by-commission

The Commission's report details how one entry from 1933 stated that a TD was responsible for "her trouble."
She had been "going to Leinster House and creating scenes there, trying to see him" and had been sent to Regina Coeli "by the porter from Leinster House".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

And there was me thinking that the reason mother and baby transitioned from an idea, to a policy, to a secret, to a scandal was because for decades nobody was willing or able to question whether the state was acting in our best interests.

Silly me and my rabbit holes.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on January 13, 2021, 01:44:37 PM
And there was me thinking that the reason mother and baby transitioned from an idea, to a policy, to a secret, to a scandal was because for decades nobody was willing or able to question whether the state was acting in our best interests.

Silly me and my rabbit holes.
Like a lot your posts, that's very cryptic

Please do expand

trailer

Every story is harrowing. Unique. Individual. Personal to that Mother, Child and Family. What happened are some of the most heinous of crimes of the 20th century. These institutions stole children. They stole Women. They stole lives. In many cases they murdered innocent children, deliberately and through sheer neglect. The Nuns, Priests and State all working in perfect unison. A perfect murderous dance. A factory. The similarities to what the systematic persecution of Jews and other groups by the Nazi party are uncanny. Forced Labour in concentration camps. A lot of people should be looking at a long time in prison. The thought of those mothers having their children stolen, as a father it makes me unbelievably angry.

Schools, Convents and these "homes" always attracted a certain Priest or a certain Nun. They should not be trusted and they should be told so.

Armamike

While most of us weren't around during those times our generation is impacted through our family links back to these homes.  Some on this board may have had parents or grandparents born into these places before going on to be adopted.  The sense of shame and stigma that was fostered by the church ran deep within families and the lengths many went to to cover up the pregnancy is hard to fathom now.  There was a veil of silence around this where it was never spoken of again and only a small group of family members would have been privy to the truth. Birth fathers, inlaws etc. were often kept in the dark.  This was the kind of omertĂ  that the church and its affect on society brought about.  As we've seen in many other situations, this level of demonisation allowed the perpetrators (nuns) to exercise sickening levels of inhumane treatment to mothers and innocent babies. I hope for their sake their God has shown them more mercy.  I think of the mothers who had to go through the rest of their lives carrying this terrible burden. Not knowing what became of their son/daughter, and not able to share their pain with others. As a parent now myself it's extremely sad.
That's just, like your opinion man.

whitey

The country was brainwashed

People actually believed back then that they would burn in Hell for all eternity-the buck with the horns, hot pokers..... the works

You didn't dare cross, contradict or defy a priest or damnation would come down upon you and yours for generations to follow

five points

Quote from: whitey on January 13, 2021, 03:21:34 PM
You didn't dare cross, contradict or defy a priest or damnation would come down upon you and yours for generations to follow

Not really true, by the way. Local priests in my neck of the woods were mocked, sometimes to their faces, and ignored when I was growing up.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on January 13, 2021, 03:25:05 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 13, 2021, 03:21:34 PM

Not really true, by the way. Local priests in my neck of the woods were mocked, sometimes to their faces, and ignored when I was growing up.

Id suggest this was a minorty, you aren't suggesting that this was the way it was in wider society?