Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

JimStynes

Serious Maradona nostalgia! He didn't play anywhere near as long as Messi, his stats are nowhere near as impressive as Messi or Ronaldo, was caught on drugs and all sorts and played for some seriously crap teams. Although his peak was something else and he is the loveable rogue type character but for me he's 3rd after Messi and Ronaldo. Messi's actually shown a bit of a nasty streak in him during this tournament which is great to see!

Zidane is the level below along with the likes of the Real Ronaldo.

imtommygunn

He was coked up to the eyeballs half the time though  ;D

I imagine he was as gifted but you watch that documentary and he had such a mad life I doubt he could consistently be the best player in the world.

illdecide

For the record i couldn't care less but i reckon CR7's antics the last while back will almost certainly drop him down people's pecking order.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

In the 2006 World Cup Zidane was on a different level, went and fucked it up with a moment of madness in the final then

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on December 14, 2022, 04:19:16 PM
For the record i couldn't care less but i reckon CR7's antics the last while back will almost certainly drop him down people's pecking order.

But Messi's antics are ok?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Depends the age of posters on here. I notice the majority don't seem to remember the outlawing of tackling from behind which changed the sport from the defender to forwards advantage. I still have Maradona over either. Both played for strong club teams with alot great players round them. Maradona hadn't much with him at Napoli but done rightly. I have messi slightly ahead of Ronaldo but not by a lot.

Wildweasel74

We go for superman over Ironman too as discussed earlier. lol.

JimStynes

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 14, 2022, 05:15:58 PM
Depends the age of posters on here. I notice the majority don't seem to remember the outlawing of tackling from behind which changed the sport from the defender to forwards advantage. I still have Maradona over either. Both played for strong club teams with alot great players round them. Maradona hadn't much with him at Napoli but done rightly. I have messi slightly ahead of Ronaldo but not by a lot.

He only scored about 100 goals for Napoli.  And his career was down the pan after that. The nostalgia of Maradona definitely sways people. If it was a favourite player then I'd maybe have the likes of him  and Ronaldinho but for best it has to be Messi and Ronaldo. The goals they've scored in the best competitions in the world is ridiculous. Ronaldo's is even more impressive considering he started as a winger and scored in all leagues. It'll be 10 and 20 years after they are retired that people will really appreciate them!

gawa316

Is Haaland going to blow these boys' numbers out of the water? Remember reading a stat about the number of goals he has until now compared to what Messi and Ronaldo have, and it was ridiculous

quit yo jibbajabba

couple reasons why i always find these "who was better" debates pointless

- back in the day there was far less footie on tv so how much of maradona, cryuff and the likes did people really see whereas nowadays its near every week
- flip side is likes of messi, ronaldos teams so much stronger in depth in comparison to barca/real teams back in the day so their stats imo are skewed. Impressive nonetheless.

Similar as to why city/pool teams are breaking points records steady now, and haalamd gonna break scorin records. The strong are v much stronger

Having said that its deffo Messi >>>> Ronaldo 😉😉
The wee mans definitely the best ive ever seen with the caveat that in comparison i havent watched as much of maradona pele etc etc

Itchy

People are entitled to disagree of course but I personally find it bizarre there is even a debate on it as Messi is just the most incredible player of this generation and as brilliant a player as Ronaldo is, no one is better than Messi and way coaching and football is going in general I don't think there will ever be a better player than him.

Armagh18

Quote from: gawa316 on December 14, 2022, 06:01:58 PM
Is Haaland going to blow these boys' numbers out of the water? Remember reading a stat about the number of goals he has until now compared to what Messi and Ronaldo have, and it was ridiculous
Remember seeing that he could score 35 a year for 15 years and still not get close. One big thing Messi and Ronaldo had is that they were very rarely injured, Haaland looks fairly injury prone

seafoid

Between them they have won 12 ballons d'or

Zidane and Cruyff combined won 4.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or

snoopdog

Just 2 unbelievable talents. Best not to compare but just enjoy. Ronaldo probably at the end of a great career  messi in the twilight. 

David McKeown

I don't even think either are the best footballer of the past 20 years. It's all subjective mind and will never be settled.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner