Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2019, 08:26:38 PM
Joe is not the same player, injury and the amount of years playing top level hurling has taken its toll, he'll never get back to that level again I fear, I could be wrong though.

but he'd be an unreal sub to bring on

You clearly didn't see any of the league where he was the best hurler in the country

Playing him in a sub role?

Laughable comment

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2019, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 10, 2019, 01:12:13 PM
KK would remind you of Galway from a few years back, decent side but overly reliant on one class player.  Take TJ out of that KK team yesterday and insert Joe for Galway and there would have been a pretty decent margin at the end.  Both sides have plenty to work on all the same.
I was thinking exactly the same about KK. TJR gets 55% of scores

T.J. Reid is an unreal hurler - consisently 9/10 in every game he plays.  Not only solid on frees but his workrate without the ball is unreal. Decision making is first class also.

I think he deserved an All Star last year, if only for his league performances when KK won the league.  He carried them to that win.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clonadmad on June 10, 2019, 09:05:35 PM
Joe is not the same player, injury and the amount of years playing top level hurling has taken its toll, he'll never get back to that level again I fear, I could be wrong though.

You clearly didn't see any of the league where he was the best hurler in the country

Laughable comment

Ok, league is for playing in, I'll judge him this year come championship, he's unreal but I feel he's had a long go at such a high level club and county that he like most, he  will dip in form.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonadmad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2019, 09:34:18 PM

Laughable comment

Ok, league is for playing in, I'll judge him this year come championship, he's unreal but I feel he's had a long go at such a high level club and county that he like most, he  will dip in form.

So your now predicting a dip in his form when does come back?

Is that in the sub role you've assigned for him?

🙄

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clonadmad on June 10, 2019, 10:02:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2019, 09:34:18 PM

Laughable comment

So your now predicting a dip in his form when does come back?

Is that in the sub role you've assigned for him?

🙄

Let's see, I've said he's not the same player as a few years ago, I don't think he'll hit those heights again, I could be wrong. Now if you think I've said something wrong then judge it over the championship when he plays.

Galway have done alright when he hasn't played. They're a better team and not a one man show.

The dip in form will be there as he's not fit, been 11 weeks since his dead leg, sorry groin injury (resulting in groin op) in the semi loss (in the league) against Waterford. Getting up to speed with that time off will not be easy!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

Canning is just too good not to make an impact however he plays, even fitness issues not withstanding. Absolute hurling system.

Reid is also superb, though I would maybe posit not quite as consistent as Canning. Was hot and cold in last year's c'ship a bit, didn't score from play in Salthill for e.g. His performance last Sunday was incredible, surely as good as he's given for KK.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on June 12, 2019, 12:40:32 AM
Canning is just too good not to make an impact however he plays, even fitness issues not withstanding. Absolute hurling system.

Reid is also superb, though I would maybe posit not quite as consistent as Canning. Was hot and cold in last year's c'ship a bit, didn't score from play in Salthill for e.g. His performance last Sunday was incredible, surely as good as he's given for KK.

Even if he was just taking frees..
The goals were very pleasing as was the performance of Concannon
A lot done. More to do.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2019, 04:26:40 AM

A lot done. More to do.

Galway need fresh blood in the mix to keep them in contention.

Concannon has been there or thereabouts for a few years now. Needs to make the step up and consistently.

TJ is the best hurler out there at the minute IMO.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 12, 2019, 10:27:37 AM

They tried out a wide range of players during the League.
The reliance on the same players was a focus over the winter.

TJ is great as long as he doesn't get injured. Galway have a better spread of scorers

Concannon and Loftus were minors in 2015 afaik.

A lot done. More to do.

Concannon has been there or thereabouts for a few years now. Needs to make the step up and consistently.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2019, 11:24:35 AM

TJ is great as long as he doesn't get injured. Galway have a better spread of scorers

A lot done. More to do.

Early 20's then, should be ready to deliver then.

Other than Loftus and Concannon and the usual suspects like Davy Glennon, the Galway bench doesn't offer much thereafter in terms of new blood come championship.

There were a few new names in the league, but no gametime as yet.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 13, 2019, 09:24:01 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2019, 11:24:35 AM

A lot done. More to do.

Early 20's then, should be ready to deliver then.

Other than Loftus and Concannon and the usual suspects like Davy Glennon, the Galway bench doesn't offer much thereafter in terms of new blood come championship.

There were a few new names in the league, but no gametime as yet.

2.2 GALWAY: C Callanan; D Morrissey, J Fitzpatrick, S Kilduff (0-2); G Lally, P Mannion, A Harte (0-1); J Coen (0-2), S Loftus (0-1); C Mannion (0-1), J Canning (0-10, eight frees), J Flynn; T Monaghan (0-2), B Concannon (0-1), D Glennon.
Subs: S Bleahene for Glennon (inj, 10 mins); S Linnane for Lally (h/t); R O'Meara for Monaghan (65).

16.2 GALWAY: 1 F Flannery, 2 J Grealish, 3 R Burke, 4 A Harte (0-1); 5 K Hussey, 6 P Mannion, 7 G McInerney; 8 C Mannion (0-4), 9 S Loftus (0-1); 10 N Burke (0-1), 11 J Canning (0-8 frees), 23 C Whelan (0-1); 12 S Bleahene (0-2), 15 D Glennon (0-1), 14 J Glynn (0-1).
Substitutes: 22 T Monaghan for D Glennon (56 mins inj), 19 P Killeen for 5 K Hussey (67 mins), 26 K Cooney for 14 J Flynn (69 mins), 21 S Kilduff for 9 S Loftus (72 mins), 24 J Mannion for 12 S Bleahene (72 mins).

23.2 GALWAY: J Skehill; S Linnane, P Killeen, D Morrissey; J Hanbury, G McInerney, J Fitzpatrick; S Loftus (0-1), S Kilduff (0-1); N Burke (0-1), B Concannon (1-1), K Cooney; C Whelan (1-2, one free), J Flynn (0-13, eight frees, four 65s), R O'Meara.

10.3 GALWAY: F Flannery; J Grealish, R Burke, A Harte; K Hussey, P Mannion, G McInerney; C Mannion, S Loftus; J Canning (0-7, six frees), C Whelan (0-2), N Burke (0-3); D Glennon, J Flynn (1-1), B Concannon (1-0).
Subs: S Bleahene for Flynn (53 mins), S Linnane for C Mannion (55 mins), P Killen for Grealish (64 mins), S Kilduff for Linnane (69 mins, inj), J Hanbury for Burke (73 mins).

12.5 Galway: C Callanan; J Grealish (0-1), R Burke, A Harte; P Mannion (0-1), G McInerney, K Hussey; C Mannion (0-3), D Burke (0-1); N Burke (0-6 0-6f), J Flynn (0-3), B Concannon (0-1); C Whelan (0-4), C Cooney (1-3), D Glennon (0-1). Subs: J Coen for Glennon (50 mins), Paul Killen for R Burke (54), J Hanbury for Hussey (54), S Loftus for Grealish (67). Yellow cards: C Mannion

2.6 GALWAY: 1 C Callanan; 5 P Mannion, 3 D Burke, 4 A Harte; 18 S Loftus, 6 G McInerney, 24 J Cooney; 8 J Coen, 9 D Burke (0-1); 10 C Mannion (0-1), 11 N Burke (0-4, three frees, one 65), 12 J Flynn (0-6, three frees, one 65), 14 C Cooney (0-1), 13 C Whelan (0-3), 15 B Concannon.
Subs: 25 J Glynn for 11 N Burke (42 mins), 7 J Hussey for 8 J Coen (51), 21 J Hanbury for 24 J Cooney (60), 23 D Glennon for 15 B Concannon (66).

9.6 GALWAY: 1. C Callanan; 4. A Harte, 3. Daithí Burke, 2. J Hanbury; 5. P Mannion, 6. G McInerney, 7. J Cooney; 8. S Loftus, 9. David Burke (0-1); 12. A Tuohey (0-2), 11. J Glynn (0-1), 10. C Mannion (0-8, one free); 13. C Whelan (1-2), 14. J Flynn (0-3, two frees), 15. B Concannon (1-2).
Subs: 21. J Coen (1-1) for Loftus (half-time), 23. D Glennon for Tuohey (59 mins), 24. N Burke for Concannon (64 mins).

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-battle-lines-drawn-ahead-of-hurling-s-d-day-1.3924777

Jackie Tyrrell: Battle lines drawn ahead of hurling's D-Day
Kilkenny under no illusions about scale of the challenge facing them at Wexford Park

Wexford versus  Kilkenny in 2017  – Wexford Park is without doubt the most hostile environment I have ever played in. The Wexford fans have the ability to create a real noise level, an eerie vibe to the place. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho
Wexford versus Kilkenny in 2017 – Wexford Park is without doubt the most hostile environment I have ever played in. The Wexford fans have the ability to create a real noise level, an eerie vibe to the place. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho

There's a bit of a World War II feel about the hurling championship, with battle being waged on two fronts – Eastern (Leinster) and Southern (Munster). If that's the case, then we're heading into D-Day this weekend, for the battles that will decide the direction the rest of the summer takes. Every game is important, none more so that when Kilkenny go to Wexford.

Wexford Park is without doubt the most hostile environment I have ever played in. The Wexford fans have the ability to create a real noise level, an eerie vibe to the place. There's a tribal war feel to the stadium that makes you feel uneasy as soon as you set foot in the place.

It's like they're saying, 'Hey, this is our house and we will protect it with everything we have'. Anytime I went there, I always felt like a young lad robbing an orchard, looking over your shoulder waiting for a farmer to chase you out the gate with a pocketful of apples. You never felt comfortable, you were always on edge.

Wexford dominated at Leinster under-21 level in the early and middle part of this decade and these players have filtered through to the senior ranks
I never liked going there. Normally, the only nice thing from days going to Wexford Park was the steak in the Ferrycarrig Hotel after the game. Beautiful county, great spot to visit, lovely people. But a brutal place to go and hurl.

We played down there in an under-21 Leinster final in 2001 and they beat us that day, 0-10 to 1-5. They sensed it from early on that there was blood to be got here – it was potentially a big scalp for them and like good assassins they took it. When the game finished, they ran through us like we didn't exist – this is the supporters I'm talking about! They flooded the field after the final whistle and claimed it.

They had been down for a few years and had taken a few beatings from Kilkenny. This was payback. You could see the sense of relief in them as they let all that built-up hurt out and let a few of us know about it along the way. I admired that from them. It was not a pleasant place to go.

Which is exactly how it should be. Wexford supporters are one of the most passionate set of hurling fans I've witnessed. They make their voices heard and it takes very little for them to get excited. All you have to do is look at the Leinster final crowds over the past few years – 29,000 in 2016, then 60,000 in 2017 and back to 40,000 last year. No prizes for guessing which year Wexford were there.

But it has levelled out now. Wexford dominated at Leinster under-21 level in the early and middle part of this decade and these players have filtered through to the senior ranks. They've clawed Kilkenny back to the pack and have made this a really tight rivalry. The O'Connors, Liam Ryan, Conor McDonald and Lee Chin now make up such a strong backbone. They've grown up beating Kilkenny and there is no emotional hang-up in the fixture for them.

Clean possessions
More than that, they love it when Kilkenny come to town. The atmosphere down there on Saturday night will be buzzing because they know they have every chance of a win. Their mouths will be watering and it won't be for the local strawberries – it will be the thoughts of getting their teeth into Kilkenny.

And there's plenty for them to get their teeth into. I wrote here last week of the concerns about Kilkenny's overreliance on TJ Reid and that holds even more weight after the Galway game. TJ has taken his game to a level that's not even on planet Earth anymore. It's only where the elite can survive.

When players of the calibre of Padraic Mannion and Gearóid McInerney can't hinder TJs influence, then you know you're operating at a different stratosphere. It reminded me of Henry Shefflin in the drawn 2012 All-Ireland final against Galway when he was in a place where nothing could curtail him. He was everywhere the action was and his influence over the game was unstoppable.

Leave aside his scoring figures, which are unprecedented obviously. Think about this on top of them – TJ caught nine clean possessions on Sunday. Nine! In a single game. You will see a lot of interesting stats and figures over this summer but I'm saying here and now that nine catches in a game will not be beaten or even threatened. I don't think I caught nine balls in 14 years playing for Kilkenny.

There have been subtle changes to Wexford since they turned Kilkenny over down there in 2017. Shaun Murphy isn't the sweeper any more – Kevin Foley is now the nominated spare man and he offers more forward-thinking ideas and options. They still do a lot of their attacking from deep rather than keeping men forward and getting the ball into them. But when they push forward at the correct times, picking scores and creating overlaps, they are dangerous.

Structurally, they like to push up man-on-man for puck outs, particularly when they play with the breeze at their back and are putting the squeeze on teams. Rory O'Connor has offered a real goal threat to an attack that, for all its honesty and work-rate, lacked that X factor. Liam Óg McGovern offers a different dynamic since he came back from his injury and he's a quality finisher with real pace.

So how do they set about Kilkenny? Just like it was for Galway, TJ has to be the starting point for Davy Fitz and Wexford here. The big complicating factor is the availability of Walter Walsh. It's no accident that TJ caught nine balls when Walter was sitting in the stand. On another day, with the pair of them there, Darren Brennan would have been aiming at least half his puck-outs at Wally.

When Kilkenny are in a corner and backs are to the wall, they go back to what they know best. Dogs of war hurling, fight for every inch
So if Brian Cody can get him on the pitch, he will. Wally's physicality in the middle third as he drops into midfield is so important for Kilkenny. He fills pockets of space in front of the Kilkenny half-back line and offers them a security blanket. That's before he does any attacking, which they need from him even more.

The reason he complicates things for Wexford is that anytime the teams meet, Matthew O'Hanlon picks him up. They are well matched physically and know each other well from their school days together. They more or less cancel each other out, getting into a wrestling match and hammering into each other like giants, taking blows that would level anyone else on the field and still coming back for more.

A conundrum
What's important with this is that O'Hanlon generally picks up the opposition's key forward, the bread winner who will win puck-outs, fight for scraps, get on breaking ball and give the team oxygen to breathe. The likes of Joe Canning of Galway, John Conlon, Séamus Harnedy are always on the menu for O'Hanlon.

But if Wally and TJ are both playing, it gives Davy a conundrum. What's the best match-up? TJ is the main man but if O'Hanlon goes on him, what do they do with Wally? The only other Wexford defender with the height and physicality for the job is Liam Ryan but I can't see Davy moving him out from the edge of the square. So Wexford are left with the same big question Galway faced last week – who has the defensive instincts, the pace and grit to try and stop TJ Reid?

Look at the Leinster final crowds over the past few years – 29,000 in 2016, then 60,000 in 2017 and back to 40,000 last year. No prizes for guessing which year Wexford were there. Photograph: Donall Farmer/Inpho

This is so nicely poised to be a belter – maybe not necessarily in quality but definitely in tension, atmosphere and drama. When Kilkenny are in a corner and backs are to the wall, they go back to what they know best. Dogs of war hurling, fight for every inch. There'll be nothing mysterious getting off the Kilkenny bus in Wexford Park.

Wexford will match them but I just about see Kilkenny finding a way through. It's D-Day for both and Wexford Park is Normandy. Let battle commence.

manfromdelmonte

Offaly relegated

They won't be sneering at Laois or Westmeath for a while

AZOffaly

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2019, 08:38:43 PM
Galway gone!

They were poor enough overall this year. Couldn't hurl consistently. Poor points difference .
Maybe a break and a new manager is what they need .