Leinster Minor Hurling 2019

Started by burdizzo, April 24, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Hurling is quite strong in the schools in Naas. They would have hurling clubs in their catchment area.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: burdizzo on May 14, 2019, 12:19:30 PM
I suppose they're all dual players, and the best of them will be diverted to football. Same as happens here outside the strong hurling areas.

There are a few hurling enclaves in Kildare that are quite passionate and wouldn't be football strongholds. Their problem is that it is only a small number of clubs - Naas, Coill Dubh. I think most of their senior hurling team play for Naas. Big county with plenty of money and resources. Wouldn't be beyond possibility that they can catch up with the likes of Laois.

GAA-SMART

They beat the 15s last weekend seeminlgy by a point- bowds well for counties like Kildare when they see their work in hurling catching up on some more "traditional" counties.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: GAA-SMART on May 14, 2019, 12:45:20 PM
They beat the 15s last weekend seeminlgy by a point- bowds well for counties like Kildare when they see their work in hurling catching up on some more "traditional" counties.

Great for Kildare but we need to make sure we keep ourselves up the pecking order! Would be much happier if Kildare were beating the other teams and we were closing the gap to the big guns.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 14, 2019, 12:31:10 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on May 14, 2019, 12:19:30 PM
I suppose they're all dual players, and the best of them will be diverted to football. Same as happens here outside the strong hurling areas.

There are a few hurling enclaves in Kildare that are quite passionate and wouldn't be football strongholds. Their problem is that it is only a small number of clubs - Naas, Coill Dubh. I think most of their senior hurling team play for Naas. Big county with plenty of money and resources. Wouldn't be beyond possibility that they can catch up with the likes of Laois.

Naas have teams hurling in underage leagues in Kilkenny

Laois Rising

This article is a few years old but it shows what is capable when a club is well run and you have lads with a genuine interest in developing the game involved. A town of 20,000 and in less than a decade hurling is flourishing...if only there was a town in Laois with huge potential for the development and growth of hurling by putting the right structures in place and getting the right people involved. Now let me think....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/naas-nurturing-a-generation-of-hurling-trailblazers-34138486.html

burdizzo

I remember playing Naas about 15 years ago in a practice match. We were senior at the time, but they gave us a right trimming, as far as I remember. They had a good, big clubhouse, and great facilities. I assume it's shared w/ football?
Aside from the collapse of Portlaoise underage hurling - which is a disaster for hurling around the middle of the county, I think - there is good work being done underage in Portarlington. Unfortunately, however, this seems destined to be strangled by the football-dominated club over there. Perhaps much like Slieve Margy in the south east.
Another thing - just what is the point in stuffing our development squads with dual players, when most of them will end up choosing football in the end? Seems like a terrible waste of time and effort from a hurling point of view.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on May 14, 2019, 09:27:48 PM
I remember playing Naas about 15 years ago in a practice match. We were senior at the time, but they gave us a right trimming, as far as I remember. They had a good, big clubhouse, and great facilities. I assume it's shared w/ football?
Aside from the collapse of Portlaoise underage hurling - which is a disaster for hurling around the middle of the county, I think - there is good work being done underage in Portarlington. Unfortunately, however, this seems destined to be strangled by the football-dominated club over there. Perhaps much like Slieve Margy in the south east.
Another thing - just what is the point in stuffing our development squads with dual players, when most of them will end up choosing football in the end? Seems like a terrible waste of time and effort from a hurling point of view.

Considering we have only 1 u15 team this year cut from 2 teams in previous years,the charge of stuffing a hurling development squad with dual players doesn't hold true any more

GAA-SMART

Quote from: clonadmad on May 14, 2019, 10:23:46 PM

Considering we have only 1 u15 team this year cut from 2 teams in previous years,the charge of stuffing a hurling development squad with dual players doesn't hold true any more

What is the dual count on the 15s / 16s? do we know? is there any Dual Minors?

clonadmad

Quote from: GAA-SMART on May 15, 2019, 08:27:48 AM

There are no dual players on the minor hurling,football managment gave them a very clear choice

Don't know about the 16's

Possibly 3/4 on both u15 teams

Zooming around

This is an amazing decision and surely a negative step. Over 50 lads were getting training last year and they did very well in their National Competitions

GAA-SMART

Quote from: clonadmad on May 15, 2019, 10:00:19 AM
Quote from: GAA-SMART on May 15, 2019, 08:27:48 AM

There are no dual players on the minor hurling,football managment gave them a very clear choice

Don't know about the 16's

Possibly 3/4 on both u15 teams

Think the 15s have more like 6-7 from what I heard. Either way to be fair to the hurlers whey were slower out of the blocks this year than the footballers were organised wise as far as I know.  The 16s is abit of a farce now tho in terms of losing a lot of players to the U17s. U14 is really only a starting place.

redsetanta

Laois drawn to play Westmeath who we've already played and beat well. Win that and it's a quarter against either Wexford or Offaly.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Jayzus, the Minors are just pulverizing Westmeath. Amazing job, lads!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Don Draper

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on May 24, 2019, 08:37:26 PM
Jayzus, the Minors are just pulverizing Westmeath. Amazing job, lads!
A bad week for Westmeath hurling. They'll do well to pull themselves off out of this.