All Ireland Club SFC Semi-finals Feb 2016

Started by general_lee, February 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Clonmel Commercials v Ballyboden St Enda's
Castlebar Mitchel's v Crossmaglen Rangers

Haven't seen a thread so apologies if there is one. Doesn't seem to be much chat on these games. Clonmel sprung a bit of a shock in winning Munster but that is indicative of the football renaissance going on in Tipp so they can't be taken too lightly. Dublin teams are always strong at this level and are 8/15 favs to win however both teams are novices at this level.

I think the winner will come from the other semi final. Castlebar looked impressive so far in Connacht as did Cross until they eventually got past a very stubborn Scotstown team. Think Cross are justified in the slight favourites tag, they've a lot more experience at this level and that could very well be the difference between the two..

Throw ball

Should be 2 good matches. Only saw Clonmel play the London champions on TV but they looked useful. Would expect Ballyboden to win though.

The other game could be close. Player wise Castlebar would probably be strongest but Cross are an unbelievable club and team. They probably have the smallest pick of the teams left but would not be surprised to see them win outright.

Anyway they may not be my club but I have to support my fellow county men and go for a Cross v Ballyboden final.

brokencrossbar1

I wouldn't say we are favourites by any manner of means.  Castlebar are physically big and strong,  they have a few serious players in Tom Cunniffe, Richie Feeney, Patrick Durcan, Neil Douglas and the big man in the middle Barry Moran.  They have also beaten the current AI champions in Corofin and they were fairly strong favourites to go the whole way again. 

We may be experienced at this stage but so are they and let's face it we are probably a few years early with this group as there are a fair few young lads on the team.  I just think their physicality will prevail in the end but I hope I'm wrong.

Cunny Funt

Castlebar are a side that rely heavily on goals to win if Crossmaglen prevent the goals from been scored they should win.

A Tipp side winning Munster was great to see and would be even better if they could reach the All Ireland final however Ballyboden will be a tough nut to crack.

tippabu

Despite only winning the munster under 21 championship and club munster its been an unbelievable year for tipp football, all ireland finalists in both minor and under 21, in post primary the high school clonmel are after reaching the corn ui mhuiri final which is massive and hasnt been done for a long time, clonmel commercials are 1 step away from an all ireland final. You just dont know really how saturdays game will go, im not going to make any wild predictions, I just hope we can put up a performance to be proud of and hopefully that will be a winning one. Clonmel have been super since the newcastle-west game where it looked like they were dead and buried, 1-7 to 6 points down with 5 minutes left, reeled off 6 points in the remainder. Probably the most satisfying match was the game v tir connell (london), TC saw this as a massive opportunity, they really saw this as an unbelievable opportunity, commercials beat them in the manner you would expect the likes of boden to do in the same situation.

tonto1888

PAULD123

Looking forward to the Cross v Castlebar match. Two heavyweights of the game. Cross carry a great ability to convert dead balls which gives them 4-5 points per game. That's a great foundation. They out-worked Kilcoo and Scotstown in Ulster. Teams play each other so rarely at this level it is impossible to call.

But if Cross bring the same hard working intensity and accuracy from dead-ball as before then they will definitely have an opportunity to progress. I hope they take it.

AZOffaly

The Clonmel game is earlier I think? 4 o'clock or something?

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Canalman

Think  it will be  a Mayo/ Tipperary final.

Imo anyway, BBSE team as a whole  for some reason is not better than the players on it.  Clonmel I presume will be hamming up the usual no one gives us a chance routine despited Tipp's dominance over Dublin at overage level recently.

Castlebar to win is just a hunch, nothing more.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on February 11, 2016, 10:21:13 AM

Imo anyway, BBSE team as a whole  for some reason is not better than the players on it.  Clonmel I presume will be hamming up the usual no one gives us a chance routine despited Tipp's dominance over Dublin at overage level recently.

Take that back. What are you insinuating?

Canalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2016, 11:12:09 AM

My bad. Typo .    Underage of  course.

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on February 11, 2016, 11:38:46 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2016, 11:12:09 AM

My bad. Typo .    Underage of  course.

They won a few matches - what's the AI breakdown like? One for Tipp, countless for Dublin..

twohands!!!

I find it hard to see Clonmel beating Ballyboden.

I just don't think they have the depth of quality of the other 3 teams in the semis.

From what I've seen they are not of the quality of heavy hitters as the other 3 teams left.

Cross v Castlebar I think will go to whoever performs on the day [with insight like this I'm obviously gunning for a lifetime slot on the Sunday Game] However I really don't think there is a huge amount between the two teams - wouldn't be a bit shocked for this to end in a draw.