Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 13, 2018, 05:18:47 PM
Quote from: westbound on March 13, 2018, 05:12:52 PM
Ye have me confused now as well!!

Are all the neutral games in croke park?
No mention of neutral games. Everyone will get one game in Croke Park

If not why does dublin's neutral game have to be in croke park (other than crowd size)?
See above

Is everyone who qualifies for super 8's guaranteed one match  (minimum) in croke park?
Yes

Thanks.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on March 14, 2018, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 13, 2018, 05:42:09 PM
Thanks for that input hound and I understand its not Dublin making up the rules .

Can I just have the name of Dublins home ground ?
Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground.

Like home grounds in some other counties its capacity isn't great for big grounds, so games get played in Croke Park. So while the hurlers play some home games in Parnell Park every year, the footballers haven't played there in quite a while (perhaps when we drew London in the qualifiers). So in recent years all the home games of the Dublin senior football team get played in Croke Park.

Certainly more Leinster QF and SF games should be played outside Croke Park, but the counties in Leinster like the money the Dublin fans generate when games are in Croke Park, and it takes a lot of persuasion to get even the very odd Dublin game moved out.
Dublin used to be beaten regularly in Parnell Park in the league
Croke Park is a very big advantage for them

AZOffaly

Everyone will get *at least* one game in Croke Park.

1 home,
1 away
1 in Croke Park (neutral).

But for the purposes of this, Dublin's home venue is Croke Park.

I also am interested to see what happens when the last 8 includes Kildare or Meath for example. Will a Super 8 game be allowed go ahead in Newbridge or the grassy, grassy banks of Pairc Tailteann?

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 04:24:58 PM

1 home,
1 away

I also am interested to see what happens when the last 8 includes Kildare or Meath for example. Will a Super 8 game be allowed go ahead in Newbridge or the grassy, grassy banks of Pairc Tailteann?

There will be some "agreement" involving money.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 04:24:58 PM

1 home,
1 away

More than likely won't be allowed to play at home instead given the choice what neutral venue they want to play their "home" game in.

Rossfan

If Kildare or Meath get a home game v Dublin there will be some quare pressure out on them to play it in Croke Park.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on March 14, 2018, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 13, 2018, 05:42:09 PM
Thanks for that input hound and I understand its not Dublin making up the rules .

Can I just have the name of Dublins home ground ?
Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground.

Like home grounds in some other counties its capacity isn't great for big grounds, so games get played in Croke Park. So while the hurlers play some home games in Parnell Park every year, the footballers haven't played there in quite a while (perhaps when we drew London in the qualifiers). So in recent years all the home games of the Dublin senior football team get played in Croke Park.

Certainly more Leinster QF and SF games should be played outside Croke Park, but the counties in Leinster like the money the Dublin fans generate when games are in Croke Park, and it takes a lot of persuasion to get even the very odd Dublin game moved out.

Jez Poor Dublin having to play Neutral or away fixtures all the time. Jez, next you'll be telling us ye don't get any funding of any kind and that all the Dublin players work!

From the Bunker

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 14, 2018, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 14, 2018, 11:14:35 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 10:59:57 AM
I was wondering if the Super 8s would benefit Mayo. The team has lost 3 finals by a single point.

I think it will benefit Galway! They will get to play a championship game in Croke Park without a win or bust scenario and this might help them get over their Croke Park Hoodoo! A weight that has been hanging over their heads for 17 years now!
Imagine having a 67 year drought hanging over yer head!  ;)

If you are 17, there's not much difference between a 17 year wait and a 67 year wait! ;)

How long is it since ye beat Kerry or Dublin in the Championship? 30 years? 40 years? 50 years?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 14, 2018, 09:43:02 PM
I was wondering if the Super 8s would benefit Mayo. The team has lost 3 finals by a single point.

I think it will benefit Galway! They will get to play a championship game in Croke Park without a win or bust scenario and this might help them get over their Croke Park Hoodoo! A weight that has been hanging over their heads for 17 years now!

If you are 17, there's not much difference between a 17 year wait and a 67 year wait! ;)

How long is it since ye beat Kerry or Dublin in the Championship? 30 years? 40 years? 50 years?
LOL! We are both a long way past 17 unfortunately FTB!!
Whatever the length of time, it's been much too long, that's for sure.  Nothing to be gained in looking backwards though, more bad days than good unfortunately.  They do however make days like our hurlers had last Sept all the more sweeter when they do eventually come around.
Best of luck for the remainder of the league and sure we'll see ye in May!

From the Bunker

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 14, 2018, 11:11:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 14, 2018, 09:43:02 PM

LOL! We are both a long way past 17 unfortunately FTB!!
Whatever the length of time, it's been much too long, that's for sure.  Nothing to be gained in looking backwards though, more bad days than good unfortunately.  They do however make days like our hurlers had last Sept all the more sweeter when they do eventually come around.
Best of luck for the remainder of the league and sure we'll see ye in May!

+1

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2018, 05:51:00 PM
If Kildare or Meath get a home game v Dublin there will be some quare pressure out on them to play it in Croke Park.
Sure it was obvious when the system was announced that some counties' home grounds would be deemed not big enough for a Super 8 match.

We already know Waterford won't play their home matches in the Munster hurling championship in Walsh Park.

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on March 14, 2018, 11:30:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2018, 05:51:00 PM
Sure it was obvious when the system was announced that some counties' home grounds would be deemed not big enough for a Super 8 match.

We already know Waterford won't play their home matches in the Munster hurling championship in Walsh Park.

The important thing is that the county gets to choose the venue. Kildare might want to play in Portlaoise or Kilkenny, Meath might have to resort to Breffni Park! 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

larryin89

The day the kildares and meaths  start insisting on bringing the Dubs to Newbridge and Navan with the home crowd making up the majority of the attendance putting the dubs support  on one small terrace and telling the rest tough shit its sold out ,booing their free takers in a hostile environment is the day the GAA grow a pair and stand up to this absolute farce of an unfair system.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on March 15, 2018, 05:55:44 AM
The day the kildares and meaths  start insisting on bringing the Dubs to Newbridge and Navan with the home crowd making up the majority of the attendance putting the dubs support  on one small terrace and telling the rest tough shit its sold out ,booing their free takers in a hostile environment is the day the GAA grow a pair and stand up to this absolute farce of an unfair system.
the GAA should fund the redevelopment of Newbridge.. It is 10 years since the crash and the ground is a kip. Time to move on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

I believe they're going to redevelop it but sure it's so hemmed in on all sides it'll never be bigger than 8/10,000.
You can imagine the media campaign if Larry's scenario came to pass - GAA preventing 60,000 people seeing a big match.
HQ on to the County Boards saying "You're responsible for a potential loss of €1.5m,  remember that when ye're looking for grants"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM