IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 06, 2012, 01:50:24 PM
Recently overheard a conversation between only what can be described as two very pro-union men. This conversation took place on Sunday morning and the topic was NI's destruction they received from the hands of the Netherlands the night before. The conversation quickly moved on to an All-Ireland team, as they believed NI is too small a state/country to challenge at this level. They also suggested the scrapping of all national anthems or maybe introducing something similar to Ireland's Call. In fairness they also suggested that games should be alternated between Belfast and Dublin. Personally I do not agree with any of this, and would prefer to keep the ROI team separate. I feel that these views offered by the two men are not real feelings on the situation, and that they only commented in such fashion due to NI's humiliating defeat the night before.

They may be pro-Union, but they clearly don't follow the NI soccer team

CitySlicker11

In my eyes they most certainly did follow the NI soccer team, as I pointed out at the end, I believe they were only offering these suggestions as their team had been beaten well the night before. Had NI drew or won the game, I believe they conversation would have been along the lines of 'OWC is great/We don't need those Catholics'.

nifan

They must be huge fans if the away defeat of our small team, missing most of its best players, by one of the best teams in the world has caused them to decide it'd be best to chuck it in and join the teams.
This doesn't even come close to registering as one of the more embarrassing results for NI.

CitySlicker11

From the conversation they were also basing it on having not qualified for any major tournaments recently, the small population and the previous nights defeat. As a NI fan yourself, do you feel James McClean's comments carry any weight?

deiseach

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 06, 2012, 02:58:23 PM
From the conversation they were also basing it on having not qualified for any major tournaments recently, the small population and the previous nights defeat. As a NI fan yourself, do you feel James McClean's comments carry any weight?

By that logic, supporters of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia should all be hankering to be 'reunified' with Russia

Olaf

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 06, 2012, 01:55:47 PM
In my eyes they most certainly did follow the NI soccer team, as I pointed out at the end, I believe they were only offering these suggestions as their team had been beaten well the night before. Had NI drew or won the game, I believe they conversation would have been along the lines of 'OWC is great/We don't need those Catholics'.

Would it now? :-\ Because we sure could have done without Jennings, O'Neill, Armstrong, Donaghy, , Doherty, (to name but a few) in days gone by when we qualified for a few Finals. ::) ::)

nifan

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 06, 2012, 02:58:23 PM

Well Ive never met a NI fan who wanted to merge - evewn when we where worse in the rankings than now and hadnt won a game in years. We are in a much better position now than we where when sammy mc was in charge  so these must be some fairly fickle supporters - or not real fans at all.

As far as mccleans comments go, i do take some of them on board, and in fact I agree with the removal of GSTQ for example.
However I take issue with him calling other players liars.
Was it not him who said of the ROI hadnt come in for him he would have played for NI?

deiseach

Quote from: nifan on June 06, 2012, 03:12:25 PM
Well Ive never met a NI fan who wanted to merge - evewn when we where worse in the rankings than now and hadnt won a game in years. We are in a much better position now than we where when sammy mc was in charge  so these must be some fairly fickle supporters - or not real fans at all.

I can imagine the reaction on Shannonside if someone were to suggest Limerick and Clare should merge so they could compete better with Cork and Tipperary.

screenmachine

If there was to be a merge, would one of the North's players get a run out at all for the All-Ireland team?  The only one I would think that has half a chance would be Steve Davis but outside that I wouldn't have one of them near it, maybe Jonny Evans at a push.

Northern Ireland fans have to realise that these young lads who they pick up from around the North at 13-16 just want to play football and see it as a great chance to play football professionally, a shop window if you like.  I'm pretty sure that 99% of all Catholics in Northern Ireland would support the Republic and so if the option arises to play for the Republic at a later stage then you can see why they make the switch.

On another note was there not a player, I think it was Alex Bruce, who was due to play for the Republic but was then hoovered up by the North and made the switch the other road?  Surely if there's such a song and dance about the whole switching to the Republic thing then you stick to your principles and don't do the exact same thing yourself?  Or is it OK because themuns were doing it as well?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

nifan

Quote from: screenmachine on June 06, 2012, 04:08:33 PM
If there was to be a merge, would one of the North's players get a run out at all for the All-Ireland team?  The only one I would think that has half a chance would be Steve Davis but outside that I wouldn't have one of them near it, maybe Jonny Evans at a push.

Evans would certainly be in there - "at a push"!
Chris Brunt.
Aaron Hughes would be considered though hes 32 now so pushing on - certainly a better option than mcshane or st ledger

Applesisapples

Quote from: nifan on June 06, 2012, 01:35:38 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 06, 2012, 01:10:26 PM
James McClean says what his problem with NI is. The response is to say that he's the one with the problem. The lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

McCleans comments regarding other catholics being liars of they say they feel at home is also quite breathtaking.
You can't actually prove that, being Uncle Tom's they would'nt want to offend their British colleagues.

nifan

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2012, 04:53:46 PM
You can't actually prove that, being Uncle Tom's they would'nt want to offend their British colleagues.

I cant prove what? Im not the one who claimed that a load of other people must be lying. Ive no idea what every catholic who plays for NI thinks - you seem to reckon you've a handle on their thoughts but i doubt its based on much.

Applesisapples

Quote from: nifan on June 06, 2012, 04:58:38 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2012, 04:53:46 PM

I cant prove what? Im not the one who claimed that a load of other people must be lying. Ive no idea what every catholic who plays for NI thinks - you seem to reckon you've a handle on their thoughts but i doubt its based on much.

No I don't but you can't prove McClean is lying, given the background of a lot of these players it is a sure bet he is right in most cases and they won't want to upset anyone as they see it as part of career development. The vast majority of Catholics in NI would support the ROI and at best would be uncaring or marginally interested in NI but more likely would like to see them hammered every time. So I reckon McClean is closer to the truth than you want to believe. For me personally it wouldn't matter what NI do as I would not support a team representing the six counties, I see my self as an Irish citizen and support the ROI. It is good to see fellow Northerners getting a chance with the National team. An d I respect your right to support NI. A unified team would be great but in the current claimate unacceptable to a lot of NI fans.

eddie d

Quote from: nifan on June 05, 2012, 07:21:40 PM
Quote from: eddie d on June 05, 2012, 06:00:40 PM
Gillespie must have forgotten everything that happened Lennon, and he must think songs in the stands aren't sectarian and he must think david healys marching band(?) celebration is quite welcoming to catholics..

what songs are these?
also healys flute celebration -  ive never seen him doing a flute celebration at wp. He made a flute gesture will having a bit of craic with some celtic fans while at a fulham game when he was getting a bit of banter from the celtic fans and was asked what he was doing on the twelth - is that really too relevant to windsor park?

i never mentioned wp in my post...even so the gesture still wouldnt encourage many catholics to play alongside him.. is he/was he not the captain?

red hander

It's beyond me why any nationalist would want to represent a bastardised statelet that treated their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents like third class citizens.  People like Uncle Tom Armstrong, who makes a good living out of being the IFA's little lapdog, is a total clown who hasn't the balls to discuss the real reasons why Catholic players born in the north opt for the Republic - his bosses at Windsor Avenue would soon have him out on his ear for not toeing the party line