Portlaoise GAA vs Laois County Board

Started by Bueller, May 18, 2016, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 10, 2016, 07:21:23 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 10, 2016, 12:32:57 AM
It's not rocket science lads

Oh that's an outstanding contribution- cheers!
But it's all laid out in the DRA report, that's where I got the info.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on December 10, 2016, 11:50:54 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 10, 2016, 07:21:23 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 10, 2016, 12:32:57 AM
It's not rocket science lads

Oh that's an outstanding contribution- cheers!
But it's all laid out in the DRA report, that's where I got the info.

The conversation has moved on to what happened at the Laois Convention.

SCFC

To be fair, while it mightn't be rocket science, it's fairly confusing from the outside!
Some here claiming it means anyone can transfer within any parish? I thought it was just Portlaoise parish because it contains the only "urban" club, Portlaoise.

The Monument Road

Quote from: SCFC on December 11, 2016, 11:00:22 AM
To be fair, while it mightn't be rocket science, it's fairly confusing from the outside!
Some here claiming it means anyone can transfer within any parish? I thought it was just Portlaoise parish because it contains the only "urban" club, Portlaoise.
It always was the case where players could transfer to other clubs within the parish they live. (Portlaoise being the exception as that was governed by this Bye Law everyone is talking about) For instance this year a young player from Annanough played with Stradbally.Kileen have had many players transfered from clubs within the Arles parish, recent past, Sean & Brendan O Shea transfered from Arles to Kileen and further back Kileen transfered a load of players from Ballylinan, Kelly,McDonald,DunneKavanaghs.

SCFC

Quote from: The Monument Road on December 11, 2016, 12:59:45 PM
It always was the case where players could transfer to other clubs within the parish they live. (Portlaoise being the exception as that was governed by this Bye Law everyone is talking about) For instance this year a young player from Annanough played with Stradbally.Kileen have had many players transfered from clubs within the Arles parish, recent past, Sean & Brendan O Shea transfered from Arles to Kileen and further back Kileen transfered a load of players from Ballylinan, Kelly,McDonald,DunneKavanaghs.
It's not automatic though. You have to apply and show change of address in most cases.

The Monument Road

Quote from: SCFC on December 11, 2016, 07:46:13 PM
It's not automatic though. You have to apply and show change of address in most cases.If i have an address in a parish i can play football/hurling in that parish. If that parish has  two or three teams i can choose whoever i want to. For instance if i live in Arles parish and played with Kilcruise. Then i wanted to play with Kileen do i need to change address... i dont think so

Downtheroad

Quote from: The Monument Road on December 11, 2016, 09:03:23 PM
It's not automatic though. You have to apply and show change of address in most cases.If i have an address in a parish i can play football/hurling in that parish. If that parish has  two or three teams i can choose whoever i want to. For instance if i live in Arles parish and played with Kilcruise. Then i wanted to play with Kileen do i need to change address... i dont think so
It's not automatic that you get a transfer if you live in a parish like Stradbally or Ballylinan. There is something about loyalty to first club in the official guide so if push comes to shove, the local  CCC usually find  in favour of the first club. As some of the posts suggest"Parish" is a toxic word at Croke Park level. They don't like hillbillies like ourselves going on about it which is fair enough but like most things in life, they can't have it both ways. On one side, a secular,  hip politically correct organisation reflecting the modern world and on the other hand imposing an outdated and quaint notion of loyalty to the local club.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote"an outdated and quaint notion of loyalty to the local club". 

What's outdated and quaint about being loyal to your local club ??  That's the whole ethos of the GAA and if that goes the whole thing falls flat on it's arse....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The Monument Road

Quote from: Downtheroad on December 11, 2016, 11:24:04 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on December 11, 2016, 09:03:23 PM
It's not automatic that you get a transfer if you live in a parish like Stradbally or Ballylinan. There is something about loyalty to first club in the official guide so if push comes to shove, the local  CCC usually find  in favour of the first club. As some of the posts suggest"Parish" is a toxic word at Croke Park level. They don't like hillbillies like ourselves going on about it which is fair enough but like most things in life, they can't have it both ways. On one side, a secular,  hip politically correct organisation reflecting the modern world and on the other hand imposing an outdated and quaint notion of loyalty to the local club.
It may not be automatic that you get the transfer within your own parish and maybe the CCC will try and stop it but at the end of the day if a lad wants to transfer he will get it. Kileen got the two O'Sheas from their neighbours at first glance. They also got a host of players from Ballylinan....CB had no choice...the players were living in the "Parish" and under the rules all you have to do is supply an address...Buggey plays with stradbally even though he is from Annanough....he is living in the "Parish ". And nothing to stop Graigue/Kileshin players transfering accross to one another if they wish to do so. They all live in the " parish". Here's another one for you.

SCFC

Quote from: The Monument Road on December 12, 2016, 03:16:15 PM
nothing to stop Graigue/Kileshin players transfering accross to one another if they wish to do so. They all live in the " parish". Here's another one for you.

Are you 100% sure of that?! I just don't think a lad from O'Dempseys can transfer to Port or vice versa as he wishes? I think there's more to it than that. "home club" is what the rule book says. Nothing about parishes.

The Monument Road

Home club is in the rule book and it is a factor. But it makes it a lot easier if the player looking for a transfer is already living in the parish of the club he wants to transfer to.

Bueller

Nice report on the double cross in this weeks Express

clonadmad

From reading the report in the Leinster,The 4 Portlaoise Parish Clubs Chairmen had a meeting and an agreement thrashed out and in place.

Yet when the county board meeting took place,lo and behold the Portlaoise Chairman seemed to have forgotten what was agreed despite the other 3 Chairman all singing off the same hymn sheet.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: The Monument Road on December 13, 2016, 10:49:21 AM
Home club is in the rule book and it is a factor. But it makes it a lot easier if the player looking for a transfer is already living in the parish of the club he wants to transfer to.

I'm not sure transferring to a club in the same parish is all that easy.
As other's have said, everybody has a "home club" and there is an "attachment to first club" that must be formally broken via transfer.