Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 14, 2018, 09:06:59 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-boost-as-cillian-mcdaid-tipped-to-end-afl-journey-37213403.html

Must be something to the rumours after all, a bit surprised he's coming back so soon but he is a player who could potentially give the Galway HB line a big boost next year.

Great news alright. Has the potential to be real top quality in a position of need for Galway. Surprised he's coming back so soon. He seemed mad keen to try AFL. Went to every trial going.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 14, 2018, 12:08:40 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-boost-as-cillian-mcdaid-tipped-to-end-afl-journey-37213403.html

Must be something to the rumours after all, a bit surprised he's coming back so soon but he is a player who could potentially give the Galway HB line a big boost next year.

Great news alright. Has the potential to be real top quality in a position of need for Galway. Surprised he's coming back so soon. He seemed mad keen to try AFL. Went to every trial going.

Did he not get a 2 year contract? Be great if he comes back but does he not have to see out the contract or how does that work?

mouview

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 13, 2018, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 13, 2018, 02:12:27 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 01:59:02 PM
Realistically, Galway need a new HB line.
Need to increase pace and work rate a la Mayo.
Probably the most important line on the field.

100% correct on the HB line issue, it's easier said than done though, the likes of Keegan and McCaffery aren't available to every county.

I though Bradshaw had a good year and Molloy is a serious talent too. With O'Ceallaigh and Kerin that should be 4 of the back 6 for next year which is a huge improvement from 3 years ago. Personally I would have Power in goals ahead of Lavelle but Walsh seems to really like Lavelle.

Bradshaw hadn't a bad year, but isn't the stopper / defensive shield we need and time is against him. If KW insists in picking Cathal Sweeney, Heaney, GOD, then he has to go.

Zulu

Was listening to Conor Nash and thought he said that himself, Conor Glass and McDaid were moving in together in November. Would have thought that would suggest he was staying.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2018, 12:25:28 PM

Was listening to Conor Nash and thought he said that himself, Conor Glass and McDaid were moving in together in November. Would have thought that would suggest he was staying.

I was actually talking to a guy from Monivea a few months back and he said McDaid loves it out there. Would be a big boost for Galway of it's true, he was excellent for the U21s last year.

Duine Eile

Quote from: mouview on August 14, 2018, 12:20:07 PM

100% correct on the HB line issue, it's easier said than done though, the likes of Keegan and McCaffery aren't available to every county.

I though Bradshaw had a good year and Molloy is a serious talent too. With O'Ceallaigh and Kerin that should be 4 of the back 6 for next year which is a huge improvement from 3 years ago. Personally I would have Power in goals ahead of Lavelle but Walsh seems to really like Lavelle.

Bradshaw hadn't a bad year, but isn't the stopper / defensive shield we need and time is against him. If KW insists in picking Cathal Sweeney, Heaney, GOD, then he has to go.

Bradshaw is grand when he can go forward but he's lost when the centre forward runs at him, the amount of times Kilkenny was on his own and the space he was given on Saturday was ridiculous. Also throwing Molloy on with ten minutes to go, getting well beaten at the time for his first bit of action all championship was an insult to the lad. I think this McDaid story has grown legs to be honest, he hasn't even a full year done out there yet has he?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 14, 2018, 12:51:40 PM

Bradshaw is grand when he can go forward but he's lost when the centre forward runs at him, the amount of times Kilkenny was on his own and the space he was given on Saturday was ridiculous. Also throwing Molloy on with ten minutes to go, getting well beaten at the time for his first bit of action all championship was an insult to the lad. I think this McDaid story has grown legs to be honest, he hasn't even a full year done out there yet has he?

Think he went over last autumn. You'd imagine Keys wouldn't have gone so strong with it unless he had a good source but I know how keen the lad was to go which makes me surprised he's coming back. There were some rumours going around alright but Keys must have heard something more concrete from somebody. Then again I guess we'll soon find out.

thebackbar1

What half back line would you have fielded instead this year  ?  We can talk about the deficiencies in the players Walsh has started but you need to throw up tangible replacements !

Maroon Manc

Disappointing but inevitable end to a good year; Losing to Monaghan whilst playing a full strength team was a killer blow, we had to beat Monaghan once he'd gone with such a strong team. Would like to have seen how Galway would have done with 3 weeks preparation facing the Dubs instead of the 1.

Echo the thoughts of the Galway posters on here, plenty to be positive about. It's been a very good year, there's been huge improvements all over he pitch from 12 months ago, don't see any reason why they kickon again next year given the age of the panel and that they've only just had one year in Div 1.

The way Galway setup defensively needs to be worked on too as well as personnel changes to the half back line. Dublin got too many soft scores in that first half probably as a result of having too many players covering the D;

The amount of steps Kilkenny takes needs addressing, he knows exactly what he's doing and it's one of the reasons why he's such a productive player.

Duine Eile

Wouldn't a half back line of Kieran Molloy, Daithí Burke and Cillian McDaid be fantastic, pity we'll never see it.  :(

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 14, 2018, 01:59:18 PM
Disappointing but inevitable end to a good year; Losing to Monaghan whilst playing a full strength team was a killer blow, we had to beat Monaghan once he'd gone with such a strong team. Would like to have seen how Galway would have done with 3 weeks preparation facing the Dubs instead of the 1.

Echo the thoughts of the Galway posters on here, plenty to be positive about. It's been a very good year, there's been huge improvements all over he pitch from 12 months ago, don't see any reason why they kickon again next year given the age of the panel and that they've only just had one year in Div 1.

The way Galway setup defensively needs to be worked on too as well as personnel changes to the half back line. Dublin got too many soft scores in that first half probably as a result of having too many players covering the D;

The amount of steps Kilkenny takes needs addressing, he knows exactly what he's doing and it's one of the reasons why he's such a productive player.

This is the huge challenge for next year. There are so many variables at the moment that it's impossible to predict how we'll go, there will be at the very least a new coach, possibly a whole new management team altogether.
Given how this year went I think that Galway are within in the top 5-6 teams at the moment, it's going to be a big job just to try and maintain that status as a Division One team year in year out besides anything else, every other team will be looking to get better as well and the Dubs clearly aren't going anywhere. The greater aim is to find another 3-4 players of the required standard to improve the team/squad and up the overall performance levels, easy say that, harder to do it. If the McDaid news is true then that is potentially (and only potentially) one of those players, you're looking for others to make a serious step up from underage or the current squad fringes (the likes of Molloy, D'Arcy, Cunningham) or for club players like Duggan who weren't seen in a Galway jersey previously to get a chance and take it.

I did feel that some of the Galway players who performed well in the league looked to be running on fumes by the time of the Super 8 stage, others seemed to be still going relatively ok. It will be interesting to see whether as much effort is put into the league campaign next year.
Some players who were in the squad this year will be gone next year, there were 11 changes to the make-up of the Galway championship squad from 2017 to this year, that is a substantial turnover in numbers and it could be as many again next year for all we know at the minute.

GalwayBayBoy

Just listened to the GAA Hour there and the big problem they identified in the Galway team is unsurprisingly the half-back line. Any team that competes for the AI title in recent years (Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone) has had an athletic hard running half-back line that can punch holes up the field and through opposition defences. They liked Bradshaw but felt Sweeney and Kelly are not fit for purpose at the top level. A bit harsh on Sean Kelly I thought who has shown a lot of promise for someone so young. I think he's more a wing-forward anyway. Bradshaw has been decent alright but realistically isn't getting any younger.

Duine Eile

Kelly is good but what exactly is his role? A runner between half back and half forward? In that case who plays his position at number 5, Johnny Heaney? It's not working if that's the case. Kelly has seen some amount of ball from his own goal line right up to the full forward line but you'd wonder what sense it's making, not doing him any justice either.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 14, 2018, 08:30:37 PM
Kelly is good but what exactly is his role? A runner between half back and half forward? In that case who plays his position at number 5, Johnny Heaney? It's not working if that's the case. Kelly has seen some amount of ball from his own goal line right up to the full forward line but you'd wonder what sense it's making, not doing him any justice either.

McDaid and Silke back next year
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Duine Eile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 14, 2018, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on August 14, 2018, 08:30:37 PM

McDaid and Silke back next year

Hopefully yes, I was more thinking about the role Sean Kelly played this year.