Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 11:39:04 PM
If you want to go thinking Mayo could have won the All Ireland this year fair play to your imagination sid, I genuinely don't care.
I didn't say they would have won it.

But they could of course have won it had things worked out a little differently, ie. had they got a home draw or had the Kildare game been played in Croke Park. In either of these situations Mayo would very likely have got over Kildare and gone on from that.

Could Dublin have won the 2014 final had Donegal not ambushed them? They very likely would have done.

Had Paul Durcan not kicked the ball staright to Kieran Donaghy in the final, could Donegal have won? They probably would have.

Basically what you're trying to day is that what happened was inevitable, that there was never any possibility of anything else happening. That's not how it works.

Had Justin McNulty picked out a pinpoint ball in 2001 instead of gormlessly telegraphing his kick and getting blocked down, Galway could have been out of that championship and Armagh could have been thrashing Meath in the final instead.

Margins are small, they're tiny, and one small incident can cast a long shadow.

An Fhairche Abu

Grand, continue to live in the land of what if, it is moot when pitted against actual events.

sid waddell

Quote from: straightred on August 11, 2018, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 11:43:08 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 11, 2018, 11:36:56 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 11:32:13 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 11, 2018, 11:27:28 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 11:16:25 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 10:34:38 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Lot of talk here about sides that didn't make the semi-finals. Lads Mayo were nowhere this year, who did they beat in a big game? Their overall competitive match record for 2018 is terrible and they are very lucky to be still in Division 1 next year. I appreciate that they have the hearts of the neutrals but there was nothing from them this year to suggest that they could replicate their AI performances from 16/17 against Dublin, a brutal injury list compounded the fact that they don't have a squad to match the quality of their first 15.
What did Mayo show in July 2016 or July 2017 to suggest they'd be challenging for the All-Ireland?

James Kielt had one kick of the ball to eliminate them in Castlebar last year and had he converted that free, Mayo would have been out, and people would have been saying "Mayo were at nothing this year".

In 2009 Sligo had a penalty to eliminate Kerry in a qualifier but missed it. It was in the middle of a run of three qualifier games where Kerry were deeply unimpressive. Yet Kerry went on to win the All-Ireland.

A classic outcome-based narrative.
But those teams actually made finals, Mayo 2018 went out in the third round of the qualifiers, there's a very clear and easy distinction to be made. If Mayo had gone out to Derry last year then, yes, they would have been at nothing.
Could Mayo have rocked up today and performed better than Galway? Absolutely possible, we didn't put the bar too high to surpass to be honest.
However, I don't think that Mayo with Parsons out, the likes of Boyle, Moran, Higgins a year older and (particularly in the case of Boyle) not playing as well as they have previously could have beaten Dublin, I don't think the Mayo of 2018 would have won an All Ireland or got within a replay/point of Dublin.
If you think that Mayo would have sprung into life if they made the semi-finals this year, fine, it's wishful thinking in my (and it is only my) opinion.
The fact that Mayo reached an All-Ireland final and lost by one point against Dublin showed they were not at nothing.

The very high likelihood is that had it been Dublin v Mayo today, Mayo would have come a damn sight closer to beating Dublin, if they did not beat them.

They lost to Kildare in a ding donger, that's football, but it doesn't mean Kildare are a better team than Mayo, and as of right now, were I to choose any two teams to try and beat Dublin, it would be 1. Mayo and 2 Kerry.
If my auntie had balls.........
Mayo this year were miles off Mayo last year so yes they would have got just as big a beating today IMO. Mayo need to find some young players and come again next year. This year is gone for them and they were only bit players

What do you base that on?

Mayo this year in the Connacht championship and up to Round 3 of the qualifiers played at pretty much exactly the same level as they did in the 2016 and 2017 championships up to that point.

I base it on the same guesswork that you're doing. Mayo were beaten by Kildare who subsequently lost all 3 of their super 8 games. Its not a great form line is it ?
Last year Mayo lost to Galway who went on to be destroyed by Roscommon. Galway were destroyed by Kerry. Yet Mayo then beat Kerry.

Formlines are not everything, they rarely are. If formlines mattered that much, Tyrone should hardly bother turning up tomorrow as Monaghan have already beaten them in the championship.

Certain teams have an ability to up their game when they need to.

I'm still waiting for anybody to tell me why Mayo wouldn't have done at least considerably better than Galway today. They wouldn't have faded out straight after half-time, for a start.
Why am i even responding.....
It's knock out football and they were knocked out. You can't go speculating about Mayo and what might have been and expect the rest of us to agree. We dont have to tell you why Mayo wouldn't have done well in just the same way as we don't have to explain why Antrim wouldn't have done well. Both are gone and you need to get over it.
The line I'm objecting to is the notion Mayo would not have done any better than Galway today because "they were at nothing".

It's an outcome-based narrative meant to try and prove that what happens was always inevitable, when that clearly isn't the case.

You're comparing Mayo to Antrim in terms of ability now.

That's a very foolish comparison, if I may say so.

Syferus

RIP Seafoid.

The greatest that there ever was. No one has a chance. No one else will be remembered.

Jayop

Mayo lads chill te f**k. If you played Dublin today you'd have probably only lost by a point. That's what mayo do. They play to the level of the team they play against (mostly my second team are sligo and I was at the final a few years ago). Ye have been brilliant for years but that team is ageing and I see no signs of it being rejuvenated.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jayop on August 12, 2018, 02:03:09 AM
Mayo lads chill te f**k. If you played Dublin today you'd have probably only lost by a point. That's what mayo do. They play to the level of the team they play against (mostly my second team are sligo and I was at the final a few years ago). Ye have been brilliant for years but that team is ageing and I see no signs of it being rejuvenated.

Point out the Mayo posters arguing that Mayo would have gotten closer to Dublin today! I think you will find it's posters from other counties lamenting the decline of Mayo. We are nice and chilled enjoying club league games this weekend and feel sorry our neighbors didn't get the performance they wanted in Croker today.

Jayop

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 12, 2018, 02:11:10 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 12, 2018, 02:03:09 AM

Point out the Mayo posters arguing that Mayo would have gotten closer to Dublin today! I think you will find it's posters from other counties lamenting the decline of Mayo. We are nice and chilled enjoying club league games this weekend and feel sorry our neighbors didn't get the performance they wanted in Croker today.

Fair cop. I could well be reading other countries posters as being from mayo. I think mayo would have been closer to Dublin today despite also thinking Galway are now better than ye. There's a certain game raising in this mayo team that's admirable that Tyrone, Galway and monaghan have yet to show.

Hope you have a great club season too! I'll surely get to a few games below

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 11, 2018, 11:36:11 PM
Dunno why Mayo are being dragged into this conversation, we lost in the qualifiers this year because we weren't good enough. The only reason for mentioning us imo is from a s&c point of view, we're one of the very few teams who come close to Dublin.

Tbh, the game today reminded me of our sf v kerry in 2011 when we were beaten from a long way out but didn't get hammered. Galway have more expectancy now than we had then though. Galway have a decent age profile like we had then

Probably the most sensible post on here. It's still a very young Galway side. 4 U-21s from last year. One player over 30. They are not ready yet clearly. They may never be for all I know but they will be there or thereabouts over the next few years despite today.

And sure we have minor and senior hurlers both in action on All Ireland final day. Our minor footballers are in the final and our seniors lost in the semi final to a side going for 4 in a row. Disappointed but probably some perspective needed. Many have it worse.

cornetto

Galway beaten fair and square,dubs are not going to be beaten by Monahan or Tyrone but I do expect the final to be a closer affair than sat semi final.
i listened to mayo fans in wards hotel salthill earlier
"oh mayo could get within a point of the dubs"
They could, did it make defeat "easier"!
Anyway my own theory is Galway looked a tired team,they have exceeded expectations in all fairness.
We have been reading as far back as feb the serious training Galway put in for the league and it showed with a league final showing running the dubs to 4Pts.
This over trained league team then went on to win the connacht championship.
Qualify for super 8s and reach a semi final all progress.
We are still short a centre back of calibre but the experience gained from this year's run is immeasurable.
Hopefully not as much effort needed to remain in div 1 next year and time our run like mayo in previous years to maybe get within a point of the dubs!!😁

BarryBreensBandage

Just a comment on the Super 8 setup:

We took 80 kids from our club to the match yesterday for a day out.
We couldn't believe we would get to see a Dublin match, but got the tickets and had a fantastic day.

There is no way we would have got these number of tickets for an AISF last year.
Maybe a positive point on the Super 8s is that it makes big matches more accessible for the neutral?

I would say there would be plenty of GAA folk who would have went to the match yesterday if they had known tickets were available.
It may take a couple of years for this to filter through, but I could see this actually energising the championship.
If your own team is muck, head to Croker for the day when the big matches are on!

Whatever the style and brand of football, nothing beats going there for a big game.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

seafoid

I presume the Dubs will win the final. This winter Kerry will be fixated on the unthinkable. The Dubs win the 5 in a row. Nothing would stick in the Kerry craw more than that.  Nobody has ever done it. It is Kerry's birthright,at least in Kerry. Next year should be very interesting. The affairs of empires. 

https://youtu.be/Wxgju-2xbfQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

straightred

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2018, 09:08:48 AM
I presume the Dubs will win the final. This winter Kerry will be fixated on the unthinkable. The Dubs win the 5 in a row. Nothing would stick in the Kerry craw more than that.  Nobody has ever done it. It is Kerry's birthright,at least in Kerry. Next year should be very interesting. The affairs of empires. 

They'll have a new manager and probably a few retirements. Its a big ask to expect them to challenge straight away.

Dublin should win 4, 5 and maybe more unless they have a meltdown somewhere along the way. Its unlikely but who knows what can happen. If galway had taken their chances yesertday they would have been well up at half time. As it turned out it wouldn't have been enough but a more experienced and battle hardened team might be able to close it out if they got a lead.

It must be soul destroying for teams to look at the dublin subs coming on. Every one of them would be starters for every other county

highorlow

By the 50th minute yesterday the Galway lads appeared to be gassed compared to Dublin who didn't appear to break a sweat all day.

Major questions for the management on that front.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on August 12, 2018, 08:54:27 AM
Just a comment on the Super 8 setup:

We took 80 kids from our club to the match yesterday for a day out.
We couldn't believe we would get to see a Dublin match, but got the tickets and had a fantastic day.

There is no way we would have got these number of tickets for an AISF last year.
Maybe a positive point on the Super 8s is that it makes big matches more accessible for the neutral?

I would say there would be plenty of GAA folk who would have went to the match yesterday if they had known tickets were available.
It may take a couple of years for this to filter through, but I could see this actually energising the championship.
If your own team is muck, head to Croker for the day when the big matches are on!

Whatever the style and brand of football, nothing beats going there for a big game.

Your enthusiasm is admirable but is put in the shade by your efforts in giving 80 kids a brilliant day out in a great stadium with the Dubs in their pomp and their supporters in full voice (even if it was about the referee at times). Just a pity the Galway players and supporters didn't turn up to compete.

mouview

Quote from: straightred on August 12, 2018, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2018, 09:08:48 AM

They'll have a new manager and probably a few retirements. Its a big ask to expect them to challenge straight away.

Dublin should win 4, 5 and maybe more unless they have a meltdown somewhere along the way. Its unlikely but who knows what can happen. If galway had taken their chances yesertday they would have been well up at half time. As it turned out it wouldn't have been enough but a more experienced and battle hardened team might be able to close it out if they got a lead.

It must be soul destroying for teams to look at the dublin subs coming on. Every one of them would be starters for every other county

Not necessarily. It was easy enough for the Dublin subs to come on yesterday, they weren't kicking under any pressure. Cormac Costello still isn't starting games for Dublin yet; McMenamon (sp?) rarely finishes games for Dublin he starts. Eoghan O'Gara is average enough. Dean Rock is a great freetaker but his contribution from play is often enough negligible, he's definitely not the best of his type in the country. Niall Scully was quiet yesterday and was replaced. But that's this Dublin team, collective greater than the sum of individuals. Mannion, Con O'Callaghan and Ciaran KK were/are the main threats. These need to be marked tightly to have a chance, (and a ref to clamp down on KK overcarrying.) Some team will crack it soon.