Lee Keegan - Player of the year or spoiler of the year?

Started by Fuzzman, May 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Who then fuzzman should have been awarded the prize?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 16, 2017, 12:40:17 PM
Good man Lar, at least you're man enough to admit that Keegan does practice the dark arts and I agree he's far from the worst of them. I suppose I just wish he'd stick to playing the ball rather than the man so much.
Did you see him in the league game v Dublin with him holding on to O'Gara so much?
Yes of course Tyrone and other teams done the same but that doesn't make it right. When Cavanagh did the rugby tackle that year Brolly was amazed that Martin Carney gave the man of the match award to Sean. So was I.

He's one of your best attacking defenders and if he wasn't getting involved so much with man handling his man he could be kicking more scores for Mayo. How would he fare in the half forward line?

As you can imagine living in Dublin, I'm keen to see the Dubs get beaten like many others from outside the capital and I've no love for Connolly but I just think Mayo/Keegan are a bit too obsessed with trying to stop Connolly to the detriment of Keegan's own game. You've got plenty other good defenders who could mark Connolly.

What is the point of this thread Fuzzman?? You start off with a fairly black & white stance on Keegan , chief spoiler/cynical/dark arts expert/blight on the game (albeit a talented attacker) who is crushing the beauty of the game and in this case the undoubted brilliant natural attacking flair of Diarmuid Connolly. Then you throw in the odd, there is worse out there than him or he is far from the worst etc....
So what is it?? Is Keegan the evil chief spoiler who was a questionable player of the year winner on moral grounds as the title suggests , or miss used brilliant attacking asset (or arguably redeployed through lack of other defensive options) who plays on the edge physically while defending??

I would like to point out on the miss used attacking threat ala Keegan, that last year Ger Caff (our best man marker) was out injured and our other main man markers Chris Barrett and Stephen Coen were struggling with injuries. With only Brendan Harrison fit as a traditional man marker Keegan was the only other option we had to deploy against the top teams. Higgins and Boyle are brilliant defenders and readers of the game but neither are sticky man markers. Durcan or Vaughan are not specific man markers either.

Some come on Fuzzman stick to your guns or admit this thread, while based on a valid argument, was wrongly focused on Keegan due to sour grapes over the quarter final and the general dislike you and the majority of GAA fans have developed for this Mayo team!!

(or you could be just shit stirring for the fun of it and I would then say to you , job well done ;D )

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Bart McQueen on July 31, 2017, 12:25:23 PM
Yet again great man marking from Leroy yesterday. Out played and out scored Enda Smith
if by 'man marking' you mean pulling the shirt off him, then yes.

If I did that in a club game the umpires would alert the referee, I'd be given a yellow card and if I repeated it I'd be off

twohands!!!

Quote from: Bart McQueen on July 31, 2017, 12:25:23 PM
Yet again great man marking from Leroy yesterday. Out played and out scored Enda Smith

I think the handling of Keegan yesterday is a damming indictment of McStay and McHale - giving the current POTY and 4 time All-Star the freedom of the park  is just reckless beyond belief.

Imagine for a second what McStay would have said if he was still a pundit and some other manager had done this?

AZOffaly

However I thought it was quite smart of them to move Smith in full forward, knowing that Keegan would follow him in there. It really took him out of the game for quite a while.

Rudi

In fairness we would love if Keggan played for us. I like him he is the best half back I have ever seen. Regarding the booing of Moran where I was in the Cusack their was none at all. I would never boo a player myself, Moran comes across as a Mother Theresa character however his classless antics in Kiltoom proved otherwise. If you live by the sword you die by the sword.  In my area of Cusack the Ros and Mayo supporters got on with supporting their teams not a bad word between any of us. Think social media has a lot to answer for it gives faceless egits free reign to fabricate or exaggerate stuff. I mean reading the Mayo gaa blog or worse the banter page would make you want to go on a rampage. Very little actual analysis on any of these gaa sites other than petty shite. Think I will find better more productive things to do with my time.

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 31, 2017, 02:29:47 PM
However I thought it was quite smart of them to move Smith in full forward, knowing that Keegan would follow him in there. It really took him out of the game for quite a while.

Yeah and I thought Rochford was utterly daft for having Keegan follow him in there.

Putting your main scoring threat that far from the opposition's goals  ::)

It was just typical of the game with both sides mistakes balancing one another out.

AZOffaly

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 31, 2017, 02:36:33 PM

Yeah and I thought Rochford was utterly daft for having Keegan follow him in there.

It was just typical of the game with both sides mistakes balancing one another out.

I made reference to that last week. Keegan seems damned to be allocated the oppositions best/most dangerous player as identified by SR. It's an understandable ploy given his effectiveness at it, but it really does seem to be a Hobson's choice because he's so dynamic a player himself. Would Boyle or Barrett or even Higgins not be an effective man marker as well?

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 31, 2017, 02:39:17 PM

I made reference to that last week. Keegan seems damned to be allocated the oppositions best/most dangerous player as identified by SR. It's an understandable ploy given his effectiveness at it, but it really does seem to be a Hobson's choice because he's so dynamic a player himself. Would Boyle or Barrett or even Higgins not be an effective man marker as well?

The thing is that its one thing when the opposition player is out around the middle of the park as there will be opportunities for Keegan to break forward and threaten scores, it's a hell of a different kettle of fish when the opposition player goes to hang around the Mayo goal and Keegan is miles from the opposition's posts. When you think of how consistent a score-taker Keegan is (and how Mayo have struggles in that area) it seems madness to me, especially as I think there are others in the Mayo squad who could do a reasonable job on the defending side of things. I'd love to see some side put a sticky corner back man-maker on Keegan and see how this affects his and Mayo's overall game (I'd love to see someone do the same to Peter Harte for Tyrone and Ciaran Kilkenny for the Dubs)

From the Bunker

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 31, 2017, 02:48:56 PM

The thing is that its one thing when the opposition player is out around the middle of the park as there will be opportunities for Keegan to break forward and threaten scores, it's a hell of a different kettle of fish when the opposition player goes to hang around the Mayo goal and Keegan is miles from the opposition's posts. When you think of how consistent a score-taker Keegan is (and how Mayo have struggles in that area) it seems madness to me, especially as I think there are others in the Mayo squad who could do a reasonable job on the defending side of things. I'd love to see some side put a sticky corner back man-maker on Keegan and see how this affects his and Mayo's overall game (I'd love to see someone do the same to Peter Harte for Tyrone and Ciaran Kilkenny for the Dubs)

Horan tried Keegan as a half forward in the League a few years ago.......it flopped! Done the same with Boyle as a corner back.....Serious flop!

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2017, 03:13:04 PM

Horan tried Keegan as a half forward in the League a few years ago.......it flopped! Done the same with Boyle as a corner back.....Serious flop!

I'm not saying Keegan moves to half-forward - just keep him where he is most valuable to the team - in the half-back line with licence to get forward.

macdanger2

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2017, 03:13:04 PM

Just because it didn't work once when tried briefly a couple of years ago doesn't mean it should never be tried again. We have decent options in the HB line so I think it'd be worth a go. What we're doing might be good enough to beat roscommon but it won't be enough to beat kerry/Dublin

Gold

Keegan ripped the Jersey clean off his man time and again ;D

Im convinced the umpires are statues
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Captain Obvious

Lee Keegan is the best man marker on the Mayo team and nearly always marks the opposition best player out of the game. This has been the case for Mayos last 3 managements and not just a thing that Rochford found out about Keegan. A man marker follows his marker wherever he goes. The last 15 minutes Rochford moved Keegan off Smith but Keegan didn't get the same space for scores as he got in the 1st half and Enda Smith was more involved in the game when Keegan was off him.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 01, 2017, 12:09:19 AM
Lee Keegan is the best man marker on the Mayo team and nearly always marks the opposition best player out of the game. This has been the case for Mayos last 3 managements and not just a thing that Rochford found out about Keegan. A man marker follows his marker wherever he goes. The last 15 minutes Rochford moved Keegan off Smith but Keegan didn't get the same space for scores as he got in the 1st half and Enda Smith was more involved in the game when Keegan was off him.

Smith was more involved in the second half regardless of who was on him. He set up more than a few scores.