2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I'm surprised at your comment junior. Of course it's worth going to. First chance of silverware in years and good outing to celebrate promotion. I also highly doubt it'll be as low scoring. I think we'll open them up a bit more (and maybe then to us also) in croke park. It won't be tense either, we've both got promotion in the bag so it should be a looser game. Arriving to Dublin around 1.30 will be fine. Traffic is grand. The lads will definitely appreciate the support and i think it's a good time for us to celebrate promotion, relative positivity around Laois football, a chance to beat our local neighbours again, first time in croke park for Laois in years and a league title on the line!

Giovanni

Well after looking at that last Sunday, I certainly won't be going (and I've literally flown thousands of miles to support Laois in the past). I think your optimistic approach is really admirable but honestly I can't find any reason to celebrate promotion from this Division or, indeed, to celebrate Division 4 silverware if we win it. I'm not particularly interested in going to an empty Croke Park either. I would be surprised if the players will be getting too excited by it either.

Apart from a marginal improvement in the quality of the tackling, I could see pretty much nothing in our display on Saturday that was an improvement on last year. A lot of it looked Division 4 stuff to me.

We are a small county whose potential is limited by its small size and therefore we have to be realistic in our ambition. Still,  I'm just not able to get excited by a one point win over Carlow in a totally unimaginative, low-speed performance. I'd agree with High Fielder about the workrate of some, especially in the forwards. Just not good enough I'm afraid. 

I admire those supporters like Tony that are keeping the flag flying but let's not pretend that we have achieved anything of note. We really haven't.

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Quote from: Giovanni on March 26, 2018, 11:11:27 PM
Well after looking at that last Sunday, I certainly won't be going (and I've literally flown thousands of miles to support Laois in the past). I think your optimistic approach is really admirable but honestly I can't find any reason to celebrate promotion from this Division or, indeed, to celebrate Division 4 silverware if we win it. I'm not particularly interested in going to an empty Croke Park either. I would be surprised if the players will be getting too excited by it either.

Apart from a marginal improvement in the quality of the tackling, I could see pretty much nothing in our display on Saturday that was an improvement on last year. A lot of it looked Division 4 stuff to me.

We are a small county whose potential is limited by its small size and therefore we have to be realistic in our ambition. Still,  I'm just not able to get excited by a one point win over Carlow in a totally unimaginative, low-speed performance. I'd agree with High Fielder about the workrate of some, especially in the forwards. Just not good enough I'm afraid. 

I admire those supporters like Tony that are keeping the flag flying but let's not pretend that we have achieved anything of note. We really haven't.

Whilst I see you point if you go back before the Golden Era we would have been glad of trips to croker .Yes its division four but its where we are at and it would be nice to win it.

No pressure game in croker with a chance to win silverware I think the players will be looking forward to it.Its a great match for John as well to prepare for Wexford  as it will tell him a few more things about his newer players in what will be a big occasion for some.

I'm looking forward to it and a few pints around Croker before and afterwards....hope to be up there for 12 get the all day breakfast in and get a couple of pints before it.
LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

I don't think there's any great mystery with Carlow. They look for Murphy to gain possession and the bearded lad to put them on the front foot. Stop both of them at source (easier said than done) and you'll have done a lot of work. Our build up was slow because they had 14 men behind the ball. They know the minute they open up and lose the ball could be disastrous for them. Even with the 14 men behind the ball, you could see that their backs were loose and panicky. Hence all the holding. I'm sure they saw plenty in us to expose too, because let's face it, we have a lot of frailties. I hope as many of us as possible make the journey. We got what we wanted from Sugrue and the team (promotion) so they deserve our support and thanks for that. We're a great county for thinking we're better than we are and thumbing our noses at the occasion.

Laoisguy

Quote from: High Fielder on March 27, 2018, 09:31:23 AM
I don't think there's any great mystery with Carlow. They look for Murphy to gain possession and the bearded lad to put them on the front foot. Stop both of them at source (easier said than done) and you'll have done a lot of work. Our build up was slow because they had 14 men behind the ball. They know the minute they open up and lose the ball could be disastrous for them. Even with the 14 men behind the ball, you could see that their backs were loose and panicky. Hence all the holding. I'm sure they saw plenty in us to expose too, because let's face it, we have a lot of frailties. I hope as many of us as possible make the journey. We got what we wanted from Sugrue and the team (promotion) so they deserve our support and thanks for that. We're a great county for thinking we're better than we are and thumbing our noses at the occasion.

Good post as usual High Fielder,8 and 9 are the threats ridiculous pace actually ....curb their enthusiasm and watch the fouls Carlow can be taken

I was impressed by defence in particular Attride Timmons Begley and Collins

We were slightly unfortunate with Ross slipping and a pass or two that didn't stick in my opinion

On another issue that Stephen Poacher seems a right .....x

Laois Abu

Giovanni

Not sure whether you're referring to my post here but my point was that noone should think that this is an achievement. Noone should think we're "better than we are" because we are clearly very poor indeed. Fair play if lads want to go on a bender after beating Waterford, Limerick and London but  it's not for me.

According to the Carlow player interviewed in On the Hop's post, they found it easy to funnel players back because our attack was so slow. I think that's closer to the truth. They had more scores on the board than us and on another day could have added two goals. And Carlow were on the beer for half the week...... Certainly, I'm not thinking we're better than we are.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Laoisguy on March 27, 2018, 09:51:40 AM

Good post as usual High Fielder,8 and 9 are the threats ridiculous pace actually ....curb their enthusiasm and watch the fouls Carlow can be taken

I was impressed by defence in particular Attride Timmons Begley and Collins

We were slightly unfortunate with Ross slipping and a pass or two that didn't stick in my opinion

On another issue that Stephen Poacher seems a right .....x

Laois Abu

I'd say Sean murphy is a threat but Brendan is as slow as a week in jail he is strong but slow and he took on mental shots on Sunday as did their full forward Foley which cost them.

Sean Murphy is a freak the speed he can pick up and even left Dillion and Collins for dead at one stage and they ain't slow!Did he not get man of the match last year against Dublin!
LAOIS ABÚ

on the hop

I would be of the same opinion. We really struggled to deal with their system, the lack of movement in the forwards killed us, and it's not going to change with Evan looking like he is injured, so we may play to our strengths like isolating Donie and Gary. We were most dangerous on turn overs when they committed numbers forward but for some reason we went to a point, stopped and allowed them to get numbers. I would hope that both wing backs trust their pace and drive at them. A big fear would be the pace of the two midfielders and the wing back Morrissey who caused us problems. Who marks them will be a big issue.

Unlaoised

Quote from: on the hop on March 27, 2018, 10:29:29 AM
I would be of the same opinion. We really struggled to deal with their system, the lack of movement in the forwards killed us, and it's not going to change with Evan looking like he is injured, so we may play to our strengths like isolating Donie and Gary. We were most dangerous on turn overs when they committed numbers forward but for some reason we went to a point, stopped and allowed them to get numbers. I would hope that both wing backs trust their pace and drive at them. A big fear would be the pace of the two midfielders and the wing back Morrissey who caused us problems. Who marks them will be a big issue.

Where is this pace for there second midfielder coming from brendan Murphy is far from fast he is powerful a good footballers and a giant of a man but fast??

LAOIS ABÚ

Laoisguy

9 with the ridiculous pace but Brendan no slouch either

Actually Robbie and lillis got through to him and blew himself out by the end of it

Don Draper

I remember Carlow came giving it big licks back in 07 in the Leinster minor final. Pity we don't have Conor there this time, but we'll have enough, I believe in this management team and these players. Get to Croker ye shower of f**kers, its a national final, and your county need you.

GAA-SMART

I see Laois GAA put up a video of past glories and how we are getting excited for the weekend lets take a reality pill folks  If anyone in Laois is getting excited about a Division 4 final they have very little to be worrying about. Its a shambles that Laois were ever in D4. Effectively scrapping past Carlow, London& Waterford along with conceeding 3 goals against Leitrim, Where is the ambition gone? Showing the videos of the past, being in D1 and Leinster Championships is ridiculous. Understand Laois on a road to recovery but I wont be celebrating a D4 win I can assure you. It is purely expected at minimum. Next year is where we start seeing where Laois are at, and the year after that, year after that...