Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Some super advice can be found among gaaboarders and I'm sure any regular posters would be more than happy to chat over PM.

NAG1

Quote from: Rois on February 15, 2018, 09:33:38 PM
Some super advice can be found among gaaboarders and I'm sure any regular posters would be more than happy to chat over PM.

+1

theskull1

This Joe Rogan podcast is really worth a listen to in regard to understanding the types of things that bring about depression in the society we live in

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/johann-hari
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rois on February 15, 2018, 09:33:38 PM
I have written before about my experience of depression and I'd be very willing to help anyone I can. I've no problem with anyone sending me a PM.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tintin25

Long time lurker on this particular thread.

Have probably had stages of mild depression from time to time, generally brought about by failed relationships and comparing myself against those in my peer group.  I found that reading self-help books has helped my confidence and taught me to 'live in the moment', whilst I usually avoid/unfollow pages on Facebook and the like which would just put you in a bad mood (some of those Belfast Live and Belfast Telegraph articles are just toxic).

Thankfully I'm pretty positive at the moment and I'm now able to identify when I take a turn and how to manage it.

Rois

Quote from: tintin25 on February 17, 2018, 10:40:15 AM
Long time lurker on this particular thread.

Thankfully I'm pretty positive at the moment and I'm now able to identify when I take a turn and how to manage it.
It must be a tough enough time when you know it is coming but great that you can tell what to do now.

My colleague at work recently got married to this guy - fascinating story and one where talking to the GP really seemed to help.
http://www.the42.ie/paul-gleghorne-mental-health-hockey-interview-3379361-May2017/

johnneycool

Soul destroying news last night as one of our U16 hurlers took his own life, lovely young fella who was never any bother and extremely talented hurler. I know a lot of our younger hurlers looked up to him and he'd always look after the young fellas he was playing with.

Harrowing stuff for his Dad, Mum and younger sister who's in my house all the time as well as the family who are heavily involved in the club in so many ways and as a parent I fail to see if you could ever truly get over such a thing, I know I couldn't.

Hard to know what to say in such circumstances and more so what to do.

Minder

Quote from: johnneycool on February 23, 2018, 09:31:57 AM
Soul destroying news last night as one of our U16 hurlers took his own life, lovely young fella who was never any bother and extremely talented hurler. I know a lot of our younger hurlers looked up to him and he'd always look after the young fellas he was playing with.

Harrowing stuff for his Dad, Mum and younger sister who's in my house all the time as well as the family who are heavily involved in the club in so many ways and as a parent I fail to see if you could ever truly get over such a thing, I know I couldn't.

Jesus that's desperate JC
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

I think he's in my nephew's year at school where my sister teaches.  Absolutely devastating news and I'm sorry for you and your club JC. 
I feel so so so sad that a youngster thinks there's no way out in third year at school. 

paddyjohn

Shocking news JC. Not easy for the family, club and wider community.

Dire Ear

That's terrible. RIP young man

johnneycool

Quote from: Rois on February 23, 2018, 09:56:43 AM

I think he's in my nephew's year at school where my sister teaches.  Absolutely devastating news and I'm sorry for you and your club JC. 
I feel so so so sad that a youngster thinks there's no way out in third year at school.

The one and the same Rois, he's a third year in OLSPK.

The Gs Man

Terrible altogether.

Thoughts with his family and friends.
Keep 'er lit

spuds

May he rest in peace.

Thoughts with his family and friends. Tough times ahead for all that were close to him.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

brokencrossbar1

I recently read an article that more people on Northern Ireland have died from suicide since the ceasefire than ever died during the Troubles. Let that sink in. Suicide and mental health issues are dreadful and the support structure are not there. There are great groups and they provide support but they need greater government support. I actually see it getting worse in the future as young people on particular don't see a bright future and see not other option.

RIP to this young man. I remember the first person I ever knew who committed suicide did so when he was this wee mans age. It broke my heart then as a 15 year old. There is so little to say when it happens and so little comforts the family. The first few days are the whirlwind and with so many about the family kinda get through that on a wave of initial support and emotions.  After that, that is when they really need help. The Tuesday night when they look at his hurl standing in the bedroom and can't fathom why.....that is when they need support.