Started by Myles Na G., October 28, 2010, 10:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

'It inspired a nation...'

Absolute bollix.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 29, 2010, 10:06:42 PM
Quote from: red hander on October 29, 2010, 07:30:32 PM
'The Provos used the sectarian strife of 1969 as a platform from which to relaunch their ancient struggle. Little to do with conditions in the north at the time.'

In the Pantheon of steaming bullshit that constitutes your laughable contributions to this board, that is up their with the worst ... congratulations
So the provos were so concerned with the plight of northern Catholics that they proceeded to kill more of them than any other armed group? That makes sense.

I would strongly suspect that the British security forces, directly or indirectly, hold that little record. Unfortunately I doubt if they will own up to involvement in too many of them.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Zapatista

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 30, 2010, 11:14:22 AM

Absolute bollix.

Just because the political leadership at the time didn't agree doesn't mean the country didn't. It was inspired ordinary people throughout the world.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Zapatista on October 30, 2010, 12:04:03 PM

Absolute bollix.

Just because the political leadership at the time didn't agree doesn't mean the country didn't. It was inspired ordinary people throughout the world.
Jack Charlton and his boys were more of an inspiration to the Irish people than the hunger strikers ever were. Sorry if that grieves you, but it's the truth.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 30, 2010, 11:14:56 AM
'The Provos used the sectarian strife of 1969 as a platform from which to relaunch their ancient struggle. Little to do with conditions in the north at the time.'

In the Pantheon of steaming bullshit that constitutes your laughable contributions to this board, that is up their with the worst ... congratulations
So the provos were so concerned with the plight of northern Catholics that they proceeded to kill more of them than any other armed group? That makes sense.

I would strongly suspect that the British security forces, directly or indirectly, hold that little record. Unfortunately I doubt if they will own up to involvement in too many of them.
More republican mythology.

ardmhachaabu

Zap you are forgetting the biggest thing that came into play and why the IRA were run down deliberately.

Touts.

So called military operations were sabotaged/exposed, key operators were taken out, both figuratively and literally.  Hughes mentioned the murder of Joe Fenton, it was important because it indicated that there were higher placed informants.  I wonder who gave the order to kill him and why they gave it before Hughes got to interrogate him.  I also wonder if Donaldson or the driver were the informants or if there were others higher up

Everything was done to ensure that SF would become dominant over the IRA.  I remember speaking to a shinner way back about the idea of a ceasefire, I was a very naive 20 year old who believed in the struggle for peace.  This shinner laughed in my face at the idea of it.  This was at a time, looking back, when there were very definite moves for peace on behalf of the shinners.  Overtures were being made from graveyards and columns in AP/RN etc  At around the same time, many people in republican communities were of the opinion that it looked like the IRA were talking to the Brits.  One of Cahill's daughters, whom I knew quite well at the time through her partner, asked him if there were talks going on.  He told her that there definitely were no talks going on as he would know if there were.  As it turned out, either he was lying to his daughter or he was being lied to.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they decided to stop killing, that created the space for the loyalists to do the same and now we have an imperfect peace.  The hypocrisy of it these days really galls me though.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 30, 2010, 12:08:08 PM

No it's not, unfortunately he's probably right, collusion was rife on both sides.  The Brits were in it up to their ears
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Nally Stand

Widespread collusion with loyalists by the British government/security forces is just republican mythology?? As I've said before, who are you to tell almost a thousand families that they are wrong in suspecting collusion in the deaths of their loved ones?

So widespread collusion was a myth and the hunger strikers didn't inspire the people of Ireland?
How can anybody debate with this clown.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 30, 2010, 12:18:34 PM
Widespread collusion with loyalists by the British government/security forces is just republican mythology?? As I've said before, who are you to tell almost a thousand families that they are wrong in suspecting collusion in the deaths of their loved ones?

So widespread collusion was a myth and the hunger strikers didn't inspire the people of Ireland?How can anybody debate with this clown.
Okay, I'll indulge you this once. In what way did they inspire the people of Ireland? What form did this take?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: TransitVanMan on October 29, 2010, 04:22:45 PM
Lynchboy can't see past 1969, why don't you answer my question, if SF accepted the principle of consent (1986) what was the armed campaign and all the suffering  for in the intervening years (1994)?
....the obvious
a more equal status had been won , the systematic oppression and persecution had been mostly eradicated and there was no longer the virtually impossible to lead life for nationalists/Irish/Catholics/working class.
the attack had been staved off. I dont see where you are coming from here. obv we have different perspectives but I just cant get yours..

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 29, 2010, 06:24:59 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 29, 2010, 02:32:55 PM
The request for reunification came about as it was seen as a solutin to the problem - not the requirement.
My understanding was that it was (at least seen by Republicans as) the only solution to the problem, and therefore the requirement.
well that wasnt the case for any of the members of IRA/INLA that I knew (and its more than a few!!).
chances are that they would know more about their motivation/objective than you or I !!

lynchbhoy

the usual bullsiht argument from you when you have nothing else to say.
even if this was true, it woul dindicate that the IRA etc were not 'sectarian' in their targetting - and they only picked military targets.
which one would you prefer !
either way your persistent moan and inaccuracy is yet again smashed !

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 30, 2010, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on October 30, 2010, 12:04:03 PM
Absolute bollix.
Jack Charlton and his boys were more of an inspiration to the Irish people than the hunger strikers ever were. Sorry if that grieves you, but it's the truth.
grand. that may be true for you.
but you cant speak for everyone else.

I think you will find clubs and things named after hunger strikers and even streets in Iraq or somewhere in the middle east named after some of these guys.
of course they didnt inspire people !
::)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 30, 2010, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 30, 2010, 12:08:08 PM

No it's not, unfortunately he's probably right, collusion was rife on both sides.  The Brits were in it up to their ears
No, he's wrong and republicans shouldn't be allowed to put that crap across unchallenged, as it allows them to distract attention away from the central fact that the IRA killed more Catholics in the north than any other armed groups. No one is disputing that there was collusion, or that British forces were involved in some instances of clandestine murder. But to move from that position to claim that there was a widespread campaign of murder that resulted in the deaths of thousands is absolute drivel. It suits republicans to push this notion. The rest of us should condemn it for the crap that it is.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 30, 2010, 12:31:49 PM

the usual bullsiht argument from you when you have nothing else to say.
even if this was true, it woul dindicate that the IRA etc were not 'sectarian' in their targetting - and they only picked military targets.
which one would you prefer !
either way your persistent moan and inaccuracy is yet again smashed !
Well we know that bit isn't true.