Gerry 'Whitey' Bradley

Started by Myles Na G., October 28, 2010, 10:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11641365

Read his book earlier this year, a book which resulted in him being ostracised from the republican 'family' of which he had been an active member for so long. His offence was to paint a picture of IRA life warts and all and to question what the struggle had actually achieved. Liam Clarke did a good piece on him last year.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6860162.ece

Kerry Mike

No doubt Gerry Adams will be all praise and be at the funeral with his shoulder to the coffin for the photo Op like he did with Brendan Hughes and others.

Another sad addition to the never ending list of victims of the troubles. Hopefully he finds some peace now.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Trout

Only certain people like Gerry Adams and Danny Morrison are allowed to write books about the "struggle".
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Zapatista

Why do you choose to believe one IRA man over another? Surely Adams and Morrison have as much credibilty as Bradley? Maybe none of them are credible.

deiseach

At the risk of being accused of whataboutery, casting apostates out is standard practice in NI. How many prominent Unionist politicians gave Gordon Wilson a wide berth because he dared to talk to the Provos? You had to admire the way Joel Patton took exception to being expected by Eoghan Harris to share a stage with Sean O'Callaghan

Trout

Quote from: Zapatista on October 29, 2010, 08:57:25 AM
Why do you choose to believe one IRA man over another? Surely Adams and Morrison have as much credibilty as Bradley? Maybe none of them are credible.

I didn't say I choose to believe one IRA man over the other. I didn't know Adams was in the IRA. I haven't read Bradleys book. The point I am making is if you are "off message" or question the legitimacy of the armed struggle in any way you are on your own.   
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Doogie Browser

Most papers chose to omit the fact that this man has been suffering with depression for many years now, well before his book was published.  Another sad victim of suicide, RIP.

glens abu

Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 28, 2010, 10:42:29 PM
No doubt Gerry Adams will be all praise and be at the funeral with his shoulder to the coffin for the photo Op like he did with Brendan Hughes and others.

Another sad addition to the never ending list of victims of the troubles. Hopefully he finds some peace now.

Yes may he rest in peace,but what has it got to do with Gerry Adams who will not be at the funeral as it is a private cremation.You are like a lot of clowns on this forum who think they all know what Adams is thinking and what he will do in certain situations and to be honest you know sweet FA.RIP Whitey

lynchbhoy

was reading the opening post when I saw that the article was written by liam clarke.
straight inthe bin as this guy knows feck all and even then cant tell the truth or would even know the truth if it was tatooed on the inside of his eyelids!

Zapatista

Quote from: Trout on October 29, 2010, 09:12:11 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on October 29, 2010, 08:57:25 AM

I didn't say I choose to believe one IRA man over the other. I didn't know Adams was in the IRA. I haven't read Bradleys book. The point I am making is if you are "off message" or question the legitimacy of the armed struggle in any way you are on your own.

Sorry I was more commenting on the general opinion as I see it. It's perfectly logical that you are on your own if you are on your own. This is far from unique to the war. If I disagree with the majority then the automatically disagree with me. I am putting myself outside the fold every bit as much as I'm being put outside it.

The discription given is that he has been ostracised from the republican 'family' but I think it's fair to say that he is as responsible for that as anyone else.

Trout

Quote from: glens abu on October 29, 2010, 09:16:32 AM

Yes may he rest in peace,but what has it got to do with Gerry Adams who will not be at the funeral as it is a private cremation.You are like a lot of clowns on this forum who think they all know what Adams
is thinking and what he will do in certain situations and to be honest you know sweet FA.RIP Whitey

Is he not getting all the trappings? Beret, tricolour and gloves on the coffin, the great and the good at his funeral?
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

glens abu

Quote from: Trout on October 29, 2010, 10:31:36 AM
Quote from: glens abu on October 29, 2010, 09:16:32 AM

Yes may he rest in peace,but what has it got to do with Gerry Adams who will not be at the funeral as it is a private cremation.You are like a lot of clowns on this forum who think they all know what Adams
is thinking and what he will do in certain situations and to be honest you know sweet FA.RIP Whitey

Is he not getting all the trappings? Beret, tricolour and gloves on the coffin, the great and the good at his funeral?

No his family want it private,which is their right  dont you think?

TransitVanMan

Like the Dark this was a man betrayed by the organisation he had devoted his life to. 

They will always be remembered as steadfast republicans betrayed by leaders who, in seeking to prosper in terms of their political careers, were prepared to jettison as a political entity the republicanism which they had utilised as leverage.

RIP
Get in the Van!

Zapatista

Quote from: TransitVanMan on October 29, 2010, 12:15:03 PM
Like the Dark this was a man betrayed by the organisation he had devoted his life to. 

They will always be remembered as steadfast republicans betrayed by leaders who, in seeking to prosper in terms of their political careers, were prepared to jettison as a political entity the republicanism which they had utilised as leverage.

RIP

Do you think that the IRA should not have got involved in the peace process as Bradley and Hughes ended up disagreeing with it?

TransitVanMan

On the contrary, both fully endorsed the notion of peace.  However they had serious misgivings about the leaderships willingness to settle for something far less than they had demanded from the outset of the campaign, and at the end far less than they had demanded at the outset of the peace process. A key republican demand, unity, the demand which defined republicanism, had been cast aside.

Get in the Van!