Irish Generals planned to attack the six counties.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, August 31, 2009, 01:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

As someone stated in the previous related thread, if this had gone ahead the Union Jack would be flying in Dublin, Cork and Galway today.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 31, 2009, 01:30:27 PM
As someone stated in the previous related thread, if this had gone ahead the Union Jack would be flying in Dublin, Cork and Galway today.

I think it would have been a more symbolic gesture, get the yanks in and sort out the mess that was the wee six. EEC wouldn't have allowed Britain to declare war on another member state.
Tbc....

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 31, 2009, 01:44:10 PM

I think it would have been a more symbolic gesture, get the yanks in and sort out the mess that was the wee six. EEC wouldn't have allowed Britain to declare war on another member state.
By invading it would of been us who had declared war on Britain and in 1969 the eec was a lose bunch of nations . The Yanks would of supported the Brits due the the soviet being the other side of the wall in Berlin .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Roger

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 31, 2009, 01:44:10 PMEEC wouldn't have allowed Britain to declare war on another member state.
But they'd allow the Repubic to invade and attack another member state?

Gnevin

Quote from: Roger on August 31, 2009, 01:57:07 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 31, 2009, 01:44:10 PMEEC wouldn't have allowed Britain to declare war on another member state.
Just a point of order but both Ireland and the UK where not members in 69
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Roger

Quote from: Gnevin on August 31, 2009, 02:00:57 PM
Fair point.  Don't think the Republic intended to declare war. Just a terror campaign on strategic areas of NI. It was reported in the Times that the RTE programme states that they were approx 500 soldiers short of the required number to tackle NI's security forces. The 500 must have been on their lunch break or had no bicycle available for the land force assault or something. 

Orior

In my opinion, any sort of action would have been justified. Considering the injustices that have gone before and after it is to their shame that the Irish Government didnt do more.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zapatista

I doubt it. The whole idea of the north is to control and gerrymander. The Brits couldn't control all 32 before and they couldn't do it now either.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Fair enough forgot that, but Ireland as was said were not intending on "invading" from what I can gather from the piece they were intending to engage in guerilla activities (alá IRA), also imo international sympathy would have been with the Irish/Nationalist people and the yanks would have put massive pressure on the brits to sort things out the Irish american lobby was still very strong then.
Tbc....

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 31, 2009, 02:17:50 PM

Fair enough forgot that, but Ireland as was said were not intending on "invading" from what I can gather from the piece they were intending to engage in guerilla activities (alá IRA), also imo international sympathy would have been with the Irish/Nationalist people and the yanks would have put massive pressure on the brits to sort things out the Irish american lobby was still very strong then.

Sympathy is all well and good look and Palestine what you need is action the ground and no one would of offered that unless the Brits wanted it .

What the difference between invading and a guerilla activities surely guerilla activities are just the tatics you carry out after you invade.

These still would have been Irish troops, operating under Irish government orders.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2009, 02:12:41 PM
In my opinion, any sort of action would have been justified. Considering the injustices that have gone before and after it is to their shame that the Irish Government didnt do more.

Not sure if I should be apologising on behalf of the 26 counties but as a citizen I think the government of Ireland didn't do half enough to protect Catholics from blatant discrimination all throughout the period 1922-1972. The Provos tried to protect the Catholic areas from then onwards but it was too late and the troubles were born.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gnevin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2009, 09:15:33 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2009, 02:12:41 PM

Not sure if I should be apologising on behalf of the 26 counties but as a citizen I think the government of Ireland didn't do half enough to protect Catholics from blatant discrimination all throughout the period 1922-1972. The Provos tried to protect the Catholic areas from then onwards but it was too late and the troubles were born.

Would course of action would you suggest the Irish government at the time should of followed? A bloody and pointless invasion which could of taken down the entire state seems to the tipple of choice lately 

Would you of taken up the Brits offer and joined ww2?

heganboy

QuoteWould you of taken up the Brits offer

what does this mean?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gnevin