2009 Ashes

Started by lob her in lad, July 08, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

We won't get the same media hype this time. First of all, because it was done quite recently, and more importantly because both sides are substantially poorer this time than in 2005. It took a huge amount of individual brilliance in 2005 to beat a great Australian team, and that's where all the plaudits came from. This time around it was more about endeavour and patience, and even the most barmy cricket loving editor will appreciate that.

deiseach

Quote from: tyroneboi on August 23, 2009, 06:41:25 PM
Just curious as to why so many posters in this thread actually support England?

1) Mrs d. Her joy made my weekend
2) Australia. Nice to see them being brought down a peg or ten

deiseach

Quote from: stephenite on August 24, 2009, 12:16:44 PM
They're arrogant enough when winning, but they're pretty gracious when losing I find. Don't confuse their media with a national trait

Generally that's true, and Adam Gilchrist was probably the last Corinthian left in professional sport. But seeing Ricky Ponting bleating about the spirit of the game then second-guessing every decision is to see sporting hypocrisy at its most acute. They need to learn the art of losing, and the more practise they get the better

stephenite

Quote from: deiseach on August 24, 2009, 02:07:49 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 24, 2009, 12:16:44 PM
They're arrogant enough when winning, but they're pretty gracious when losing I find. Don't confuse their media with a national trait

Generally that's true, and Adam Gilchrist was probably the last Corinthian left in professional sport. But seeing Ricky Ponting bleating about the spirit of the game then second-guessing every decision is to see sporting hypocrisy at its most acute. They need to learn the art of losing, and the more practise they get the better

I'm not doubting you, I didn't see a lot of the tests (middle of the night) but where did Punter second guess every decision that was made? There are some lads in work, and one is adamant that Ponting is the most sporting Aussie cricket captain in eons, others disagree and I'd like the ammo 'cos I hate the Ponting fan

Aerlik

Dunno what it's like over east, Stephenite, but it's eerily quiet in the west.  Even the Dockers thumping the bombers made it to no.1 in the news.  Not for the fact that they won, but for the fact that the cricketers lost.  Hell damnit, even coming fourth in Miss Universe got a higher rating.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

stephenite

Quote from: Aerlik on August 25, 2009, 02:11:30 AM
Dunno what it's like over east, Stephenite, but it's eerily quiet in the west.  Even the Dockers thumping the bombers made it to no.1 in the news.  Not for the fact that they won, but for the fact that the cricketers lost.  Hell damnit, even coming fourth in Miss Universe got a higher rating.

Most of the media pundits are plastered all over the front pages of the main newspapers, it was headline news on Monday on all major news TV shows, Fox Sports News were running with it all day.

They are basically all saying the same thing. Engerland were the better team over the test series, the decision not to play a spinner was probably their undoing and the selectors are getting a going over for that.
Shane Warne is lambasting everyone in sight but that's just Shane Warne and him loving the sound of his own voice.

Anyone I've talked to has admitted that the better team won, but will all point out that Australia have had an amazing run over the years, that you can't just replace players like Warne, Glenn McGrath, Gilly and Justin Langer - once in a couple of generation players.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Minder on August 23, 2009, 09:22:06 PM
I heard that boyo Trott interviewed yesterday after his century and he sounded as English as Kevin Pietersen..........

His dad is as English as KP's mum. 

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!