2009 Ashes

Started by lob her in lad, July 08, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Watcher Pat

Heard England were in Control but had a mini collapse...True? Dont really watch cricket...Would watch if i knew there was going to be a winner in the next 3-4 hrs or so...I actually have a right grasp of the rules now too.. A fellow started work from Armagh CC and he explained all the rules(every day for the last 3) but they have sunk in now!!! Apparently it would have been better for the ozzies to follow on!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Chrisowc

England are 59-3 in the 2nd innings.  Batsmen are alway vulnerable early in their innings and having to bat for an hour before close lastnight was always going to be tricky with the batsmen in a no win situation.  Best case scenario for each batter was to be not out for not many runs.

There won't be a winner in the next 3-4 hours.  England will hope to bat for as long as possible today to get a lead of 350/400.  There is a good chance of a result tomorrow.

Not sure if Australia had to follow on (more than 200 behind after 1st innings) whether England would have enforced it.  The pitch is only getting harder to bat on so having to bat 4th is a big disadvantage here.  If Australia had followed, and with the pitch deteriorating, along with the huge pressure of the situation, even a target of 120 could have been imposing for England.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Chrisowc on August 22, 2009, 09:32:32 AM
England are 59-3 in the 2nd innings.  Batsmen are alway vulnerable early in their innings and having to bat for an hour before close lastnight was always going to be tricky with the batsmen in a no win situation.  Best case scenario for each batter was to be not out for not many runs.

There won't be a winner in the next 3-4 hours.  England will hope to bat for as long as possible today to get a lead of 350/400.  There is a good chance of a result tomorrow.

Not sure if Australia had to follow on (more than 200 behind after 1st innings) whether England would have enforced it.  The pitch is only getting harder to bat on so having to bat 4th is a big disadvantage here.  If Australia had followed, and with the pitch deteriorating, along with the huge pressure of the situation, even a target of 120 could have been imposing for England.

Sori but Tyrone play Cork tomorrow...So i won't see the result!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Mr. Nakata

Looking good for England at 157-4. Victory assured unless something mental happens.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on August 22, 2009, 01:43:36 PM
Looking good for England at 157-4. Victory assured unless something mental happens.
Ye never know....
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

brokencrossbar1

Engerland 462 ahead at tea with Trott on his way to a ton.  I reckon they will let him get that and/or reach a 500 lead before the day is out and declare.  2 day blitz of the Aussie batsmen to secure the Ashes.

Mr. Nakata

Good days cricket. Strauss was excellent and what a debut for Trott, maiden test century in front of a euphoric Oval crowd. Great atmosphere! Punter needs a miracle.

mylestheslasher

I don't mean to be funny but I am 33 years old, spent 4 years in Trinity college dublin and I have lived in Ireland all my life and I never met one person with an interest in Cricket, never mind someone the played it. Imagine my surprise when I see a 14 page thread on a GAA website on the same sport! As a matter of interest how did ye all get to like cricket?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 22, 2009, 09:06:46 PM
I don't mean to be funny but I am 33 years old, spent 4 years in Trinity college dublin and I have lived in Ireland all my life and I never met one person with an interest in Cricket, never mind someone the played it. Imagine my surprise when I see a 14 page thread on a GAA website on the same sport! As a matter of interest how did ye all get to like cricket?

I grew up on a Protestant housing estate, and Strabane has a fairly decent cricket side.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

the green man

I got into it a few years ago. Previous to that, I thought it was pretty boring with a lot of men standing about doing very little. Since I got to know the rules, its not a bad sport. Granted the 3 dayers can be a bit monotonous, but the 20/20 is good stuff. I really enjoyed the ashes in australia the last time. Along with rugby, its a game that I wished I had the chance to play. Still reckon I'd be a mean batsman!

Chrisowc

My uncles were all into it so I picked it up from there.  Played a bit with mates but didn't go to a grammer school so didn't take it up seriously.  Really wished I had. 

Love the atmosphere around a cricket match and would much rather watch a closely fought Test Match than any other sport.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

brokencrossbar1

We used to play it in the garden every summer.  I used to love watching Gooch, Botham et al against the Windies when Ambrose, Viv richards etc were playing in the early 80's.

stiffler

England win the ashes with a day to spare.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

5 Sams

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 23, 2009, 08:36:11 AM
We used to play it in the garden every summer.  I used to love watching Gooch, Botham et al against the Windies when Ambrose, Viv richards etc were playing in the early 80's.

I would have loved to see the Gooch playing against Ambrose ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

magpie seanie

Great stuff. Flintoff ends on a high (his missus is serious too, good luck to him).