2009 Ashes

Started by lob her in lad, July 08, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lob her in lad

Anybody on here got any thoughts on who will take the Ashes this year?

Will the Aussies prove too strong like '07 with another whitewash or will the English pull something special out of the bag like in '05??

It should be a good series if the weather stays any way decent.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Mr. Nakata

The 2005 series was exhilarating. Pure drama from start to finish. 2007 was a joke from the very first delivery, so with England at home again I'd be hoping for a more competitve series. I see that the Ashes is pay per view this summer. What a disgrace. Apparently only 10 high profile sporting events are sacrosanct and must be shown on terrestrial tv. ie world cup, european cup, grand national, wimbledon, fa cup etc. Would've thought the Ashes'd be safe as well.

Denn Forever

Strauss and Cook out.  75 for 2.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Silky

QuoteApparently only 10 high profile sporting events are sacrosanct and must be shown on terrestrial tv. ie world cup, european cup, grand national, wimbledon, fa cup etc. Would've thought the Ashes'd be safe as well.

Where do you live Mr Nakata? I never heard of this law before.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 08, 2009, 12:02:13 PM
The 2005 series was exhilarating. Pure drama from start to finish. 2007 was a joke from the very first delivery, so with England at home again I'd be hoping for a more competitve series. I see that the Ashes is pay per view this summer. What a disgrace. Apparently only 10 high profile sporting events are sacrosanct and must be shown on terrestrial tv. ie world cup, european cup, grand national, wimbledon, fa cup etc. Would've thought the Ashes'd be safe as well.

Is it not on Sky Sports 1? Its not pay per view although obviously you have to have a satellite. Didn't realise Britain had legislation regarding what had to be terrestrial tv.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

full back

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 08, 2009, 12:40:15 PM

Is it not on Sky Sports 1? Its not pay per view although obviously you have to have a satellite. Didn't realise Britain had legislation regarding what had to be terrestrial tv.

You have to pay for SS, so in essence it is a type of PPV

There is some law/legislation that requires certain events to be shown on terrestrial TV
The above events & I think the OPen is included in that as well

Yes I Would

Ozzies turning the screw 90-3.

Galwaybhoy

The World Cup and European Championships on terrestrial TV isn't British legislation, its FIFA and UEFA rules as far as I know.

Mr. Nakata

It was all over the news last night about how times have changed, Sky monopoly etc etc, however, these events are reviewed every so often and it was decided the Ashes could be removed from the list of 10 or so untouchables.

supersub

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 08, 2009, 01:11:47 PM

The World Cup and European Championships on terrestrial TV isn't British legislation, its FIFA and UEFA rules as far as I know.

It is the government who say the world and european championships have to be shown on terrestrial tv - not FIFA or anyone else. Sure Sepp Blatter said not so long ago for the government to make the world cup available on sky, and england would have a better chance of hosting the world cup - don't know how that works though.

lob her in lad

Quote from: supersub on July 08, 2009, 02:14:40 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 08, 2009, 01:11:47 PM

I have been learning a lot about this in uni this year, this will give you a clearer idea on what is and what isn't classes as a sporting event of national significance. I'm sure it would be along the same lines in Ireland where we follow most of the British precedents when it comes to the law, media etc.
http://www.culture.gov.uk/PDF/sport_on_television.pdf

It is the government who say the world and european championships have to be shown on terrestrial tv - not FIFA or anyone else. Sure Sepp Blatter said not so long ago for the government to make the world cup available on sky, and england would have a better chance of hosting the world cup - don't know how that works though.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

lob her in lad

Not sure what happened on that last post but I will start again,

I have been learning a lot about this in uni this year, this will give you a clearer idea on what is and what isn't classes as a sporting event of national significance. I'm sure it would be along the same lines in Ireland where we follow most of the British precedents when it comes to the law, media etc.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/PDF/sport_on_television.pdf

longball

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

supersub

Mr. Nakata

KP & Collingwood have steadied the ship for England. Good news.....