Lee Keegan - Player of the year or spoiler of the year?

Started by Fuzzman, May 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Now that the leagues are finished and the championship is about to get under way I thought would this be a good time to discuss the Lee Keegan v Diarmuid Connolly saga again as we can't be accused of influencing the referee before a big game?

Of course the Mayo lads won't be pleased that I'm focusing on one of their players and no doubt many will come back at me saying Tyrone have had several players who behaved the same over the years but I think it is still well worth the debate as this seems to rumble on every year now.

If you watch the video below from last year's replay, some people will argue that Keegan didn't do much wrong and that Connolly felt his arms on him and so he dived to the ground to get a black card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_bzJyj0tA
If you pause it on 9 seconds you will see Keegan's hands grabbing the front of Connolly's shirt and then he puts his arm around his shoulders and finally his hand goes onto Connolly's mouth. Connolly goes to ground then quite easily as he knew he was fouled but it's not until you go to ground that the ref will definitely make a decision.

Now that is the last incident between these two players but as we all know there were several more incidents before that one and also Keegan was playing a similar way against Sean Cavanagh in the quarterfinal.

Firstly I think the application of the rules regarding these two players have been a total disgrace.
Of course it's not an easy decision for the refs but I think because this has been an ongoing battle between the two players now for several years that something needs to be done about it. It is just too easy to say "Ah calm down, let them at it and they'll sort it out themselves" as Tomas O'Se said below
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-sums-up-the-diarmuid-connollylee-keegan-saga-perfectly-35095414.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYDFZxNQdw

Tom said "Jesus, there's nothing malicious going on there other than two fellas trying to get the better of each other."
Maybe it's because Tomás played as a defender and had to mark lots of top quality forwards over the years or maybe it's his anti Dublin bias but to me there is nothing fair about how Keegan tries to stop Connolly from playing.
Basically he pulls and drags his man, off the ball, for most of the game to prevent him from making runs into dangerous places to receive a pass with him often dragging him to the ground and the two players getting into a wrestling match. I think the rules needs to be changed so that there is not this silly punishment of booking the two players involved EVERY time one player gets involved with another player which ends up with this holding their shirt or worse their neck etc.

For many people Connolly has a bad history of getting sent off and over reacting but to me the rules of GAA should be there to promote fair play and be there to protect the player who wants to play the game fairly. As many manager has said before it is usually the forward who wants to get the ball and to attack and it's the job of the defender to stop his man from doing that. Of course we've seen times where the forward will try to cheat the referee by diving or feigning injury but if you look back over the incidents between these two players, 9 times out of 10 you see Connolly trying to make a run away from his man and Keegan getting in his way or dragging him down to the ground.
I am amazed how often the ref, linesmen and umpires see this happening but do very little to stop it. So then naturally the player himself then reacts and often both players end up getting a yellow card or sent off.
Ask yourself is this what we want? Do we think it's OK for the defender to antagonise the forward by various means to get a reaction and to see him being sent off? If Connolly played for Mayo and was their best forward would you feel the same way and just say "ah he's a big lad, he can look after himself".

To be honest with you, I am no big fan of Connolly but I do think we need to be trying to protect our best players to be allowed to play football rather than seeing "a job" being done on them and so they end up being sent off along with the player who started the whole thing. I just think the rules don't seem to protect the forward (or any player) who wants to play the ball rather than the man and too often the desired intention of the fouling player is achieved in that he is stopping the forward from playing well and getting scores in an unfair manner.

In fairness to Keegan, any time he's been black or red carded he just walks off and accepts it as he knows he's bending the rules and so living on the edge whereas lots of other players will claim their innocence.
I also know that Keegan is not the only player who uses this type of tactic to put players off and Connolly has shown he too can play him at his own game but I suppose I just am amazed how the CCCC are happy to let this ongoing battle happen year after year and nothing be done about it. The more he gets away with it the more it will be copied by other players.

whitey

I'd actually be more concerned about dangerous play from the likes Johnny Cooper who blatantly shoved  Darren OSullivan into the post after he had scored a goal in the semi final last year. Same player did a 2 footed high challenge in Diarmuid O Connor the year before which was a stonewall red, but of course her got the benefit of the doubt.

Syferus

What even is this thread? Keegan is a better footballer with a better head on his shoulders than Connolly. That's why he always beats him. Fin.

Beffs

Hurray.

More Lee V Diarmuid hoopla.

Coz we didn't have nearly enough of it last year.  ::)

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM
To be honest with you, I am no big fan of Connolly but I do think we need to be trying to protect our best players to be allowed to play football rather than seeing "a job" being done on them and so they end up being sent off along with the player who started the whole thing. I just think the rules don't seem to protect the forward (or any player) who wants to play the ball rather than the man and too often the desired intention of the fouling player is achieved in that he is stopping the forward from playing well and getting scores in an unfair manner.

In fairness to Keegan, any time he's been black or red carded he just walks off and accepts it as he knows he's bending the rules and so living on the edge whereas lots of other players will claim their innocence.
I also know that Keegan is not the only player who uses this type of tactic to put players off and Connolly has shown he too can play him at his own game but I suppose I just am amazed how the CCCC are happy to let this ongoing battle happen year after year and nothing be done about it. The more he gets away with it the more it will be copied by other players.

;D

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

So I guess that's that problem fixed then. Thanks Jinxy, glad you got to use those pics you stored away so carefully.

Hopefully we'll get to see some decent football being played now by Connolly and he will finally get his player of the year award rather than giving it to the man who stopped him.

east down gael

Do you feel the same way when Justin McMahon goes out and takes the lee keegan tactic to its maximum every time tyrone play Donegal?in fairness to keegan he also provides a huge attacking threat for Mayo,McMahon is nothing short of a disgrace every time he plays Donegal,adding nothing to the game and using every trampish act he can to stop Murphy playing.

Wildweasel74

Crete Boom

Now that the leagues are finished and the championship is about to get under way I thought would this be a good time to discuss the Lee Keegan v Diarmuid Connolly saga again as we can't be accused of influencing the referee before a big game?

Of course the Mayo lads won't be pleased that I'm focusing on one of their players and no doubt many will come back at me saying Tyrone have had several players who behaved the same over the years but I think it is still well worth the debate as this seems to rumble on every year now.

If you watch the video below from last year's replay, some people will argue that Keegan didn't do much wrong and that Connolly felt his arms on him and so he dived to the ground to get a black card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_bzJyj0tA
If you pause it on 9 seconds you will see Keegan's hands grabbing the front of Connolly's shirt and then he puts his arm around his shoulders and finally his hand goes onto Connolly's mouth. Connolly goes to ground then quite easily as he knew he was fouled but it's not until you go to ground that the ref will definitely make a decision.

Now that is the last incident between these two players but as we all know there were several more incidents before that one and also Keegan was playing a similar way against Sean Cavanagh in the quarterfinal.

Firstly I think the application of the rules regarding these two players have been a total disgrace.
Of course it's not an easy decision for the refs but I think because this has been an ongoing battle between the two players now for several years that something needs to be done about it. It is just too easy to say "Ah calm down, let them at it and they'll sort it out themselves" as Tomas O'Se said below
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-sums-up-the-diarmuid-connollylee-keegan-saga-perfectly-35095414.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYDFZxNQdw

Tom said "Jesus, there's nothing malicious going on there other than two fellas trying to get the better of each other."
Maybe it's because Tomás played as a defender and had to mark lots of top quality forwards over the years or maybe it's his anti Dublin bias but to me there is nothing fair about how Keegan tries to stop Connolly from playing.
Basically he pulls and drags his man, off the ball, for most of the game to prevent him from making runs into dangerous places to receive a pass with him often dragging him to the ground and the two players getting into a wrestling match. I think the rules needs to be changed so that there is not this silly punishment of booking the two players involved EVERY time one player gets involved with another player which ends up with this holding their shirt or worse their neck etc.

For many people Connolly has a bad history of getting sent off and over reacting but to me the rules of GAA should be there to promote fair play and be there to protect the player who wants to play the game fairly. As many manager has said before it is usually the forward who wants to get the ball and to attack and it's the job of the defender to stop his man from doing that. Of course we've seen times where the forward will try to cheat the referee by diving or feigning injury but if you look back over the incidents between these two players, 9 times out of 10 you see Connolly trying to make a run away from his man and Keegan getting in his way or dragging him down to the ground.
I am amazed how often the ref, linesmen and umpires see this happening but do very little to stop it. So then naturally the player himself then reacts and often both players end up getting a yellow card or sent off.
Ask yourself is this what we want? Do we think it's OK for the defender to antagonise the forward by various means to get a reaction and to see him being sent off? If Connolly played for Mayo and was their best forward would you feel the same way and just say "ah he's a big lad, he can look after himself".

If Tyrone hadn't blown that quarter final against Mayo and got all the way to the All Ireland final instead of Mayo would you care about how physical Keegan gets on or off the ball with a player?? Now I know you are going to say that shouldn't stop you from debating whether or not Keegan deserves his player of the year award but it might have a blinding influence on how you are framing your argument against Keegan.
I don't remember too many Donegal lads on here making a similar argument in 2015 after we had beaten them in the quarter final and Keegan was getting stuck in that day to??
It just is too similar to the McHale 1996 Meath are tramps/cheats that is why we lost argument from my own county which has been shown to have a flimsy basis when watching the two games again removed from all the excitement.
Put it this way in the winter of 1997 my personal take would have been strong on the Meath cheated their way to winning that final whereas now I would be more of the Mayo lost it on the first day with poor shooting and trying to defend a big lead too early.

From the Bunker

Have to say I enjoyed the physical tactics Tyrone employed for the last 5 minutes of the league game up in Omagh. I enjoyed it because when the opposition resort to those tactics, you know they know (deep down) they can't win playing football and have to use other methods. Not nice to watch, but makes victory even more sweeter.

Now don't be worrying your good self about Lee Keegan and some made up mickey mouse award. An award that will never go to a player from at least up to 25 counties in Ireland.

MayoBuck

Love how Tyrone lads are so bitter. What's your take on this Fuzzman?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3WN4TkcXRE&feature=youtu.be

I believe Connolly did something similar to Ryan McHugh in the quarters as well but got away with the auld yellow a piece. Don't mean to be slating connolly btw, in fairness he said he doesn't think there should be a black card.

Il Bomber Destro

It's strange how so many counties are happy enough to employ and defend the dark arts they publicly chastise Tyrone for.

If Keegan had been from Tyrone then his card would have been marked a long time ago. One rule for one and another for another.

tonto1888

I'd imagine he powers that be reckon that it adds to the spectacle, rightly or wrongly, and when you have the likes of sky involved and the money that goes with that they don't mind it as much as with other players.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Jinxy on May 09, 2017, 05:06:44 PM

;D

What was it Graham Geraghty said to that aboriginal lad?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 09, 2017, 07:51:44 PM
It's strange how so many counties are happy enough to employ and defend the dark arts they publicly chastise Tyrone for.

If Keegan had been from Tyrone then his card would have been marked a long time ago. One rule for one and another for another.

Yeah I know if he was playing for Tyrone against Dublin in an All Ireland Final and a poor kickouts led to him pulling on Connollys jersey and even allowing for how easily Connolly hit the turf (probably from watching Aidan O'Shea ;D ;D) he would 100% be black carded but because he had a Mayo shirt on he got away Scot fr.. ?? Insert fake news fact here!!! ;)