Can we help out a local soccer club?

Started by StephenC, September 12, 2020, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2020, 06:52:55 PM
Although clubs & committees make decisions that fly in the face of the GAA's rules & club constitutions all the time to the point where not only is it the norm, it is expected and even demanded. Paying people to manage teams.

Your absolutely right. But even if the GAA were to crack down as hard as they could on this, a brown envelope between a sponsor and an overrated team of overpaid mercenaries from out of the county, is not something they could investigate.

Whereas just one photograph of a kitted our Local United FC on St Patrick's GAA turf is evidence enough for a club's membership to get upset, and county boards to start an investigation.

—-

Rossfan, this is has nothing to do with the wee six.

A few years ago I asked our own committee about soccer training and got laughed off. I called them dinosaurs then. But as I became more familiar with both internal club politics and GAA rules, it turned out they were right. Nowadays I'd laugh at the same request.

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2020, 08:38:24 PM
Sorry, I thought you were taking the sole stance that GAA rules & club constitutions should not be ignored by club committees, and indeed that if they even considered it they should not be in their roles.

I thought it a noble stance - a man showing great regard for the founding ethos & principles of our association.

Ah well, it's hard to police - fcuk the constitution lads, who are we getting in this year?

I'm sure you see my point all the same.

Btw, I'd truly love to be smart enough to dream up a system to end paid managers. And should anyone ever do so, they'll have my support.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 15, 2020, 07:03:08 PM
Sure the GAA at top level broke its rules to allow 2 soccer teams to play a soccer match in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
They just closed their eyes and called it a "Charity event".
There might be "dozens of members" objecting in 6 Co clubs but round here you might get 1 or 2.
Personally I cant abide soccer as it's 90 minutes of boredom but I can't see any problem letting them use a GAA club facility provided they pay (in advance) and cover insurance and doesn't interfere with Club activities.
Like they did when they were playing Internationals in Croke Park.

PUC had signed an explicit agreement to waive rule 42 for funding. So not the case here.

Just rent them the pitch and hope nobody rats you out. Hundreds of clubs do it.

GiveItToTheShooters

The rule is pretty straightforward. No foreign games are to be played on GAA grounds.
Hope that answers your question.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 15, 2020, 09:49:26 PM
The rule is pretty straightforward. No foreign games are to be played on GAA grounds.
Hope that answers your question.

Except Croke Park. Or shared GAA grounds. Or GAA grounds on public parks.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2020, 08:38:24 PM
Sorry, I thought you were taking the sole stance that GAA rules & club constitutions should not be ignored by club committees, and indeed that if they even considered it they should not be in their roles.

I thought it a noble stance - a man showing great regard for the founding ethos & principles of our association.

Ah well, it's hard to police - fcuk the constitution lads, who are we getting in this year?

Do you source all your equipment and admin stuff in Ireland? Do you pay coaches? Do you operate in Irish? Does your club offer Irish dancing?

The point is its a silly rule that is ignored when it suits. Clubs are dying and can't monetise their assets that they maintain. The local committee are well capable of making the call as to the relationship with other sports. The GAA encouraged clubs to get astro pitches they cannot afford to maintain and they can't rent to the rest of the community.

This ehole thing should have been buried when the GAA were pilloried for refusing to allow that fundraiser in Omagh. Its archaic and no longer is required.