Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

What kind of crowd expected? I assume Dubs will strongly out number Galway
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

An Fhairche Abu

Galway crowd attendance was a disgrace in Salthill last Saturday, I wouldn't expect much better for the next game.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 08, 2018, 09:16:24 PM
Galway crowd attendance was a disgrace in Salthill last Saturday, I wouldn't expect much better for the next game.

Especially with the hurlers in the final soon
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 08, 2018, 03:31:35 PM
I really think Galway have taken the wind out of their own sails by last weeks performance ,
when they looked around for leadership none was coming
had they gone for it they would easilt have beaten monaghan but they just don't seem to realize what a great attacking force they are Walsh Comer Branniagn and burke is as good or better than most in the country but Manager kevin  walshe welsh Walsh has them hide bound with fear .
their only hope v Dublin is an very fast open game and a shootout , which has little change of happening,
as a  result it could be humbling for them

Corrected that for you.

Burke has been great. Anyone who can't see what he does doesn't know football IMO. I actually think he's been our best forward during the championship. Walsh very good for the most part. Comer more up and down.

Brannigan was probably our best forward during the league but his shooting especially has gone to pot recently.

Hmm, I disagree with our opinion so you know nothing John Snow. I lauded Burke previously for his intelligence but his scoring rate is not good enough to be considered as good as if not better than most in the country. Only Walsh would be in the conversation for top 6 forwards in the country.

Burke's assist rate is off the charts though. Up to last week at least he was statistically miles ahead of everyone else in the country in that regard. And he usually chips in with a couple himself.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: seafoid on August 08, 2018, 06:15:55 AM
Quote from: galwayman on August 07, 2018, 10:11:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2018, 09:53:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2018, 06:23:49 PM
A Galway win would be like Cork v Kerry 83 or Down v Kerry 91 or Mayo v Kerry 96

In fairness Kerry 1996 was a very inexperienced team.
None of those are in any way comparable.
Dublin have won 5 AIs in 7 years.
None of those 3 Kerry teams were reigning AI champions - in fact two of them hadn't won Munster in 5 years before that.
The all Ireland context is less important. Beating Dublin is psychological. Mayo couldn't do it. Tyrone couldn't do it. Kerry couldn't do it.
Since the end of the 60s ulster teams lost every time to Munster or Leinster opposition . Connacht teams couldn't manage it either. That was psychological.
Then Down beat Kerry. Everyone neutral expected Kerry to win. Everyone expects Dublin to win the next day.

Champions win in part because of the respect that the opposition gives them. Why do Real win so many Champions League finals ? 

It's interesting for Galway fans because the hurlers are in the incumbent role and the footballers are challenging and the dynamics for both are different.

Clare on Sunday had no problem scoring when 2 points down but they could not get an equalise in the last 10 minutes.

eh.. Mayo beat a Dublin team in 2012 that included Cluxton, Cian O'Sullivan; James McCarthy, Flynn, MDMA, Kilkenny, Connolly and Brogan.

As for the game this Sunday, the bad weather that's promised will definitely suit Galway and I think it will be closer than expected. At the same time though, Galway are 11/2 for a reason and it's hard to make a case for them having enough to actually win it. 

joemamas

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2018, 10:13:39 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 08, 2018, 03:31:35 PM
I really think Galway have taken the wind out of their own sails by last weeks performance ,
when they looked around for leadership none was coming
had they gone for it they would easilt have beaten monaghan but they just don't seem to realize what a great attacking force they are Walsh Comer Branniagn and burke is as good or better than most in the country but Manager kevin  walshe welsh Walsh has them hide bound with fear .
their only hope v Dublin is an very fast open game and a shootout , which has little change of happening,
as a  result it could be humbling for them

Corrected that for you.

Burke has been great. Anyone who can't see what he does doesn't know football IMO. I actually think he's been our best forward during the championship. Walsh very good for the most part. Comer more up and down.

Brannigan was probably our best forward during the league but his shooting especially has gone to pot recently.

Hmm, I disagree with our opinion so you know nothing John Snow. I lauded Burke previously for his intelligence but his scoring rate is not good enough to be considered as good as if not better than most in the country. Only Walsh would be in the conversation for top 6 forwards in the country.

Burke's assist rate is off the charts though. Up to last week at least he was statistically miles ahead of everyone else in the country in that regard. And he usually chips in with a couple himself.

Was at the game Saturday, thought he had two or three scoring chances in first half from inside 30 yards with wind, he choose to pass.

IMO not decisive enough

seafoid

Nobody seems to be giving Galway a chance but the sad fact about the state of the game is that Tweedledum and Tweedledee in the other semifinal would not be any better. After 3 and a half months of foostering around with provincials and qualifiers and Super 8s we get to the core problem. The GAA can't structure competitiveness. Maybe Horse Lawlor's goal will turn out to be the highlight of the summer with #newbridgeornowhere second.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Dubhaltach on August 08, 2018, 10:49:34 PM
A Galway win would be like Cork v Kerry 83 or Down v Kerry 91 or Mayo v Kerry 96

None of those 3 Kerry teams were reigning AI champions - in fact two of them hadn't won Munster in 5 years before that.
The all Ireland context is less important. Beating Dublin is psychological. Mayo couldn't do it. Tyrone couldn't do it. Kerry couldn't do it.
Since the end of the 60s ulster teams lost every time to Munster or Leinster opposition . Connacht teams couldn't manage it either. That was psychological.
Then Down beat Kerry. Everyone neutral expected Kerry to win. Everyone expects Dublin to win the next day.

Champions win in part because of the respect that the opposition gives them. Why do Real win so many Champions League finals ? 

It's interesting for Galway fans because the hurlers are in the incumbent role and the footballers are challenging and the dynamics for both are different.

Clare on Sunday had no problem scoring when 2 points down but they could not get an equalise in the last 10 minutes.

eh.. Mayo beat a Dublin team in 2012 that included Cluxton, Cian O'Sullivan; James McCarthy, Flynn, MDMA, Kilkenny, Connolly and Brogan.

As for the game this Sunday, the bad weather that's promised will definitely suit Galway and I think it will be closer than expected. At the same time though, Galway are 11/2 for a reason and it's hard to make a case for them having enough to actually win it.

This Dublin team has won in all sorts of weather conditions - most notably the 2015 All Ireland final when there was a downpour from start to finish. So I don't think a wet day would benefit Galway in any way.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 09, 2018, 02:38:38 PM

This Dublin team has won in all sorts of weather conditions - most notably the 2015 All Ireland final when there was a downpour from start to finish. So I don't think a wet day would benefit Galway in any way.

I presume he means a wet day often keeps the score down so games tend to be closer in the wet.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 09, 2018, 02:42:36 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 09, 2018, 02:38:38 PM

I presume he means a wet day often keeps the score down so games tend to be closer in the wet.

A fair point.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

easytiger95

I remember us destroying Tyrone in a downpour in 2011.

And, to be fair, I remember them destroying us in a similar downpour in 2008.

This will be tighter then people think.

Dubs not the force of before, specifically 2015/2016 which I think will be seen as the high water mark of Gavin's reign.

Still should win here, but whoever comes out of the other semi has a big chance in the final.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 09, 2018, 03:03:35 PM

Dubs not the force of before, specifically 2015/2016 which I think will be seen as the high water mark of Gavin's reign.

Still should win here, but whoever comes out of the other semi has a big chance in the final.
If the Dubs win the final will be a turkey shoot.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Zulu

On what basis are you predicting that? Nothing we've seen suggests Galway are significantly better than Monaghan or Tyrone and Dublin usually just get over the line in finals. Odd that you seem to give Galway a good chance this weekend yet expect Monaghan or Tyrone to be hammered. Can't see any logic in that line of thought.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 09, 2018, 03:03:35 PM

Are you sure about that?

2015 beat Mayo by after a replay in the semi final and beat Kerry by 3 point in a drab AI final
2016 Beat Kerry by 2 points in the semi final and beat Mayo by one in the AI final after a replay

Kerry and Mayo are now in transition while I don't think we have seen the best of Dublin yet especially in AI final.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Zulu on August 09, 2018, 03:44:40 PM
On what basis are you predicting that? Nothing we've seen suggests Galway are significantly better than Monaghan or Tyrone and Dublin usually just get over the line in finals. Odd that you seem to give Galway a good chance this weekend yet expect Monaghan or Tyrone to be hammered. Can't see any logic in that line of thought.
I'm not seeing that process of thought either, more of a chance to be two turkey shoots if anything.
I think Dublin have been absolutely cruising through the championship, I'd be very worried they are just getting to hitting their peak for this weekend and the final.