The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yewtree

What a way to grind out a result against old favourite from Northern Ireland Brendan Rogers last minute .Sets us well for  red Mancs in fortnight.

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on October 05, 2019, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 05, 2019, 02:48:07 PM
Feckin Lovren in, time to hide behind the settee.

At least AZ will be happy. He's always said he's better than Matip!
He did alright to be fair to him.
He did indeed. Solid 7/10.
Always loved his attitude, but also aware there could be a complete howler around the corner!

Main Street

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 05, 2019, 05:07:54 PM
Was it a peno? I didn't see it. Kevin Kilbane on final score said it was a dive.
Not quite a classic Salah 100% dive, Mane's foot did receive the lightest of touches, therefore the dramatic fall to the ground was just a 99% dive and 1% soft penalty.  However, Mane's prolonged agonised rolling around was 100% theatrical and cringeworthy, probably wasn't needed as the ref had given the penalty just as he was half way into his dive. Possibly Mane thought the ref had sussed his bluff and decided to prolong the charade in a desperate attempt to transform the surreal into sliver of doubt territory in order to avoid the humiliating yellow card.

tonto1888

As far as English football goes I support Liverpool. That was never a penalty yesterday

laoislad

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 06, 2019, 09:37:29 AM
As far as English football goes I support Liverpool. That was never a penalty yesterday
Mane was fouled in the box, therefore it was a penalty.  I'm not sure how people are having such a hard time understanding this. The fact that Mane made a meal of going down doesn't take away from the fact he was fouled before hand.  You don't kick someone from behind in the box and not expect to give away a penalty.
There was a foul committed, so it was a penalty  it's really that simple.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Angelo

Quote from: laoislad on October 06, 2019, 09:46:18 AM
Mane was fouled in the box, therefore it was a penalty.  I'm not sure how people are having such a hard time understanding this. The fact that Mane made a meal of going down doesn't take away from the fact he was fouled before hand.  You don't kick someone from behind in the box and not expect to give away a penalty.

It's not netball.

If a penalty is given for everytime a player receives the slightest touch in the box there is 30 in a game.

He should have been booked for simulation but the referee was absolutely hell bent on pulling the win out for Liverpool there. I saw the last 10 minutes of that game and there were at least 4 scandalous decisions that went Liverpools way, the foul given against Perez and ignored by Salah stopped one great goal scoring opportunity and created another, the fact that they all went Liverpool's way was no surprise given how eager he was to award that penalty.

I have no horse in the EPL race and that one sided officiating in a short period of time would make the likes of Hugh Dallas, Dougie McDonald, Stuart Dougal and Mike McCurry blush with embarrassment.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

Unfortunately I agree with you. Forwards go down for that kind of tackle and with the contact it just is a clear penalty. It just looked way worse than it could have for mane because he didn't go down until after the contact had happened. He needs to get more lessons from Mo ;D

Hound

Yep, of course it was a penalty. The luck we got was Albrighton stupidly kicking Mane.
The harder you work, the luckier you get. That's a fact. Liverpool in the 80s, United under Fergie, never stop working, never stop believing, keep on the attack. You won't get all breaks. But if you're going to get one, if the ball is in the opposition when it comes, it could prove vital.

Mane was unreal yesterday. Compare his effort to other strikers at some of the big clubs who are struggling a bit at the moment, and it's night and day.  Salah doesn't stop either. Angelo pointed it out earlier, although he obviously didn't see it clearly as he eyes were all watered.  But Salah's determination to get stuck in and tackle and dispossess the defender is what Liverpool is all about.

A pity City are so good too!  I think the depth of their squad could be the deciding factor. We rotate 3 positions at the moment (Centre half and two midfielders). Everyone else plays every important game. Whereas City are resting everyone from time to time. That might catch up with us.

Thought Origi did well when he came on.

Angelo

I guarantee you there's a more obvious penalty not given across every game in that league this weekend than that one yesterday if you're saying that's a penalty.

It was a dive, pure and simple, it's not netball.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyCake

Why didn't Albrighton hoof it into row Z?

laoislad

Tough run of fixtures coming up now. United will of course raise their game in a few weeks. Then Spurs and City and Palace away also all tough games. Even Villa away is tough.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: laoislad on October 06, 2019, 04:06:56 PM
Tough run of fixtures coming up now. United will of course raise their game in a few weeks. Then Spurs City with Palace away also all tough games. Even Villa away is tough.

They're in the middle of the tough run.

So far so good.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Armamike

Great weekend for Liverpool.  That was a penalty. Soft maybe, but there was a kick to the back of the foot.  Mane made the most of it, of course.  But when does the striker ever get a penalty for staying on his feet?  Albrington's reaction was telling too. He put his hands up the moment he clipped Mane. Milner ice cold as always from the spot.  A lot to like about this Liverpool side - keep going to the end.  Would have been a bit of a travesty to not win that game given the chances created.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Gabriel_Hurl

Joel Matip PL player of the month for September