Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: The Worker on May 29, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
How many of Utd's team would honestly get on for Barca??

Vidic & Rooney would start, but who else?

VDS would be a contender, only he is now retired. Evra would be 50/50

You think so??  My guess is 0.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2011, 08:26:06 AM
They are an average side, if those players lined up for say Stoke not a hope in hell they would have won the EPL. Playing for Man United gives them extra belief, not to mention the majority of 50/50 key decisions and are playing under the best manager ever to grace the English game.

If Man United's squad was put up for sale, the top European teams would be in for Vidic and Rooney and eh that's it, even their great hope Hernandez is really nothing more than a Mexican Andy Cole, you'd swear chicharito was spanish for off-side.

Wood for the trees.

You know very well if Arsenal had striker like hernandez to play along side VP they would have done better than their 4th place finsh & as i said already Barca can make anyone look average they are simply that good.

Quote from: gallsman on May 29, 2011, 11:16:10 AM
Quote from: The Worker on May 29, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
How many of Utd's team would honestly get on for Barca??

Vidic & Rooney would start, but who else?

VDS would be a contender, only he is now retired. Evra would be 50/50

Valdes is one of the most underrated keepers in Europe. He's been the best keeper in Spain for a number of years now, including Casillas. There wouldn't be a contest.

He's also one of the most underworked keepers in Europe.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

With Arsenal it's in the head, Wenger has a preference for 4-1-3-1-1, Hernandez wouldn't feature as is all round play isn't good enough yet and Arsenal only play long balls against teams that hold a high line and Walcott is playing.

Speaking of Arsenal, if they turned it that performance, 1 shot on target you can just imagine the abuse Wenger and the players would have received but then Arsenal are an easy target..
#newbridgeornowhere

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2011, 01:43:42 PM
With Arsenal it's in the head, Wenger has a preference for 4-1-3-1-1, Hernandez wouldn't feature as is all round play isn't good enough yet and Arsenal only play long balls against teams that hold a high line and Walcott is playing.

Speaking of Arsenal, if they turned it that performance, 1 shot on target you can just imagine the abuse Wenger and the players would have received but then Arsenal are an easy target..
Arsenal had 0 shots on target in the 3-1 defeat to Barca in Feb.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

Don't worry Screen i won't bring up your old posts to embarrass you (no doubt your deleting half of them now)

Moving on..

Season review
League title won for a record 19th
Youth cup success to prove the future is bright
Got to the final of the CL with ease only to be beaten by the best
Got to the Semi final of the FA cup only to be beaten by the eventual winners
Old Trafford was a fortress in EPL & CL
United went half the season unbeaten to equal their own record set in 99/00

Yes winning CL for the 4th time would have been the cherry on top of the cake but wasn't to be this season so... some new blood needed in the summer & some of the dead wood cleared out and United will be back better than ever.

P.S the humility United players,fans & fergie showed after the game last night was great to see if only the ABUs did the same when Man United win titles.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Worker

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 29, 2011, 01:54:00 PM

You fail to mention that that Arsenal game was played in the Nou Camp. When Arsenal played Barca in London they came out with their heads held high.

Dinny Breen

And they got vilified for it even though they were one Bendtner touch away from knocking Barca out and how did the leg three weeks prior to that match go!!! Anyhow this a Man U thread so I will leave it at that.
#newbridgeornowhere

Blowitupref

Quote from: The Worker on May 29, 2011, 03:46:56 PM

You fail to mention that that Arsenal game was played in the Nou Camp. When Arsenal played Barca in London they came out with their heads held high.

English teams will get the odd result v Barcelona at home however in the Camp Nou or neutral venue they have no chance.

gallsman

Where are EC and new devil? I want to see them display some humility for once.

As someone said earlier, you're Man Utd and you'll do whatever the f**k Barca tell you to.

EC Unique

Hands up. The best team by miles won. They are a class act and should have won by more. Gutted last night but still a great year for Utd. An interesting summer coming up with a few additions to come in.

Boycey

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2011, 03:47:22 PM

And they got vilified for it even though they were one Bendtner touch away from knocking Barca out and how did the leg three weeks prior to that match go!!! Anyhow this a Man U thread so I will leave it at that.

Vilified?? I think you have developed Arsenes persecution complex and your old memory is playing tricks on you, besides the odd bit of teasing I think most of the posts on here just expressed the view that Arsenal were beaten by a pretty special team (a bit like United yesterday really).

Football eh bloody hell as a famous man once said :P. Had United been edged out by Chelsea in the Quarter Finals but still won the league all would be rosy in the garden but because they over achieved and reached the Final before enduring yesterdays kicking I gotta listen to a summer of wiseguys telling me how crap we were/are.

See ya all in August, oh yeah well done Barca "Mes que un club"

ross4life

Quote from: Boycey on May 29, 2011, 05:27:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2011, 03:47:22 PM

Vilified?? I think you have developed Arsenes persecution complex and your old memory is playing tricks on you, besides the odd bit of teasing I think most of the posts on here just expressed the view that Arsenal were beaten by a pretty special team (a bit like United yesterday really).

Football eh bloody hell as a famous man once said :P. Had United been edged out by Chelsea in the Quarter Finals but still won the league all would be rosy in the garden but because they over achieved and reached the Final before enduring yesterdays kicking I gotta listen to a summer of wiseguys telling me how crap we were/are.

See ya all in August, oh yeah well done Barca "Mes que un club"

Good point well said Boycey.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

United were passed to death last night, and if they met Barcelona for the next 10 nights, the same thing would happen again. Last night saw more of the Glazer chickens coming home to roost re the complete lack of investment in United's midfield in recent seasons..More or less the same personnel were on duty from the 2009 Final in United's midfield and the result was the same......I found it embarassing last night at times, such was Barcelona's dominance all over the field. United looked physically in bits after just 30 minutes.

Blowitupref

Quote from: ross4life on May 29, 2011, 03:07:07 PM

Season review
League title won for a record 19th
Youth cup success to prove the future is bright
Got to the final of the CL with ease only to be beaten by the best
Got to the Semi final of the FA cup only to be beaten by the eventual winners
Old Trafford was a fortress in EPL & CL
United went half the season unbeaten to equal their own record set in 99/00

Yes winning CL for the 4th time would have been the cherry on top of the cake but wasn't to be this season so... some new blood needed in the summer & some of the dead wood cleared out and United will be back better than ever.

P.S the humility United players,fans & fergie showed after the game last night was great to see if only the ABUs did the same when Man United win titles.

I'd say most of not all United fans will be happy with this season especially going empty handed last year.

118cmal

Beaten by a much better side last night.  Barca are an awesome team and it's hard to see anything other than a Barca victory in next year's competition.

From a United point of view I though Vidic, Ferdinand and Rooney were good.  I was disappointed with Valencia.  Giggs and Carrick were chasing shadows.  I don't, however, think that spending massive money in the summer is the answer.  United could spend 300 million this summer and still not have as good a starting XI as Barcelona.  The midfield that United have is still good enough to win the PL.  There are three young midfielders who were outstanding in the FA Youth cup run - Pogba, Morrison and Tunnicliffe.  Ideally I'd like to see those lads given a chance and to be involved with the senior squad next year.

To those slagging off United, no team in Europe could live with Barca.  I saw a few pages back people were having a go at United's away record in the PL and conveniently omitting the fact that only 2 points were dropped at home all season.  United were the best team in England this year and I'd say there'll be a few fresh faces in the squad next year.

Ashley Young is all but signed apparently, rumoured to have had a medical on Friday.