Top 5 players of all time from your county

Started by seafoid, April 17, 2022, 12:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Quote from: NotedObserver on April 18, 2022, 10:05:01 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 18, 2022, 06:40:55 PM
Not too many Armagh contributions i notice, largely I suspect as we would feel restricted to the AI winning team - which is fair enough tbh.
McGrane
McGeeney
McConville
Marsden
Stevie McDonnell

Neil Smyth, Ciaran McGurk, Houley, Johnny Corvan all worthy of a mention (in my lifetime) and countless others I'm doing a disservice to.

Aaron Kernan worth a shout?
Paddy mo ??

SLIGONIAN

Mickey Kerins
Eamonn O Hara
Nace O Dowd

Big gap to the rest - Paul Taylor, Dessie Sloyan, Ross Donovan, Barnes Murphy, John Brennan, David Kelly

Current - Niall Murphy
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Orior

Joe Kiernan
Paddy Moriarity
Jimmy Smyth
Diarmuid Marsden
Ger Houlahan
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rosnarun

Cant believe the kerry Lads are leaving out Darragh O sé himself and Jacko the 2 best players I've seen. After that the Row can start.

As for Mayo

Aidan O sé
Lee Keegan
Tommy Conroy
Ciaran McDonald
Cillian o Connor

May look like recenty Bias but the team of the last ten years is by far the best Ive see, ans ive been Watching since 1975 when we lost to mickey kearns and barnes Murphy's Sligo
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Quote from: HokeyPokey on April 17, 2022, 12:57:15 PM
Peter Canavan
Frank McGuigan
Sean Cavanagh
Iggy Jones

Last one is a tough one, possibly one of Stephen O'Neill, Eugene McKenna, Brian Dooher, Conor Gormley or Phillip Jordan.
Iggy Jones was on the first Tyrone team to win an Ulster title. An outstanding player by all accounts.
In German they have a lovely phrase.
Wo Helden nicht vergessen werden kommen neue Helden

Where heroes are not forgotten new heroes will come 
Tyron's first Sam was the culmination of a long project.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Silver hill

Quote from: rosnarun on April 19, 2022, 11:13:37 AM
Cant believe the kerry Lads are leaving out Darragh O sé himself and Jacko the 2 best players I've seen. After that the Row can start.

As for Mayo

Aidan O sé
Lee Keegan
Tommy Conroy
Ciaran McDonald
Cillian o Connor

May look like recenty Bias but the team of the last ten years is by far the best Ive see, ans ive been Watching since 1975 when we lost to mickey kearns and barnes Murphy's Sligo

Lee keegan
Keith Higgins
Padraig Brogan (I know it was fleeting but he was sensational)
Ciaran McDonald
Willie Jo Padden

Shamrock Shore

Paul Barden (2000s)
Dessie Barry (1980s)
Brendan Barden (1960s)
Jimmy Hannify (1960s)
John 'Speedy' McCormack (1980s)

tc_manchester

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on April 17, 2022, 08:31:23 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on April 17, 2022, 12:57:15 PM
Peter Canavan
Frank McGuigan
Sean Cavanagh
Iggy Jones

Last one is a tough one, possibly one of Stephen O'Neill, Eugene McKenna, Brian Dooher, Conor Gormley or Phillip Jordan.
Eugene McKenna would get my vote

Definitely Eugene McKenna for me. I have never seen another midfielder since who could hang for a ball like him. When he did it their would be a deep intake of breath from the crowd. I remember being at a league game in Newcastle and he went crazy in the last ten minutes of the game and caught everything. I was chatting to Liam Grugan (who was playing that day) after the game that night and he said he went up for kick out and he felt a knee on his shoulder which was Eugene.

118cmal

Barry Owens
Marty McGrath
Peter McGinnity
Rory Gallagher
Ryan McCluskey

Horse Box

Conor Sweeney
Brian Fox
Declan Browne
Brian Burke
Michael Keating

screenexile

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 04:31:20 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on April 18, 2022, 03:58:14 PM
To be fair to the different playing positions in any team, I have decided to use poetic licence to select my SEVEN all time best Derry county players  ie one goalkeeper,two defenders,two midfielders and two forwards. (and I have seen them all!).
Goalkeeper :John Somers
Defenders: Kieran McKeever,Tony Scullion.
Midfielders : Jim McKeever,Anthony Tohill
Forwards : Mickey Niblock,SeanO'Connell.
Honorary Members:Sean Martin Lockhart,Henry Diamond,Henry Downey,Anthony McGurk,Gerry
                             O'Loughlin.Fergal Doherty,Gerry McElhinney,Mark Lynch,Enda Muldoon and Paddy
                             Bradley.

Excellent post. I think big Damien is certainly worthy of at least a mention as keeper. And I would add Mickey Lynch to your honorary members.

But getting back to the original post, I think it's impossible to name five. Tohill and Jim mckeever are the only two certs. Sean O'Connell merits a mention for longevity and being the only Derry man with four ulster senior medals. Henry as captain in 93 also. But couldn't narrow it down to five.

Scullion is a cert surely??

Orior

Quote from: rosnarun on April 19, 2022, 11:13:37 AM

As for Mayo

Aidan O sé
Lee Keegan
Tommy Conroy
Ciaran McDonald
Cillian o Connor

If I was Mayonaisse then I would say:

Aidan O sé
Lee Keegan
Tommy Conroy
Ciaran McDonald
Cora Staunton

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2022, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 18, 2022, 04:31:20 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on April 18, 2022, 03:58:14 PM
To be fair to the different playing positions in any team, I have decided to use poetic licence to select my SEVEN all time best Derry county players  ie one goalkeeper,two defenders,two midfielders and two forwards. (and I have seen them all!).
Goalkeeper :John Somers
Defenders: Kieran McKeever,Tony Scullion.
Midfielders : Jim McKeever,Anthony Tohill
Forwards : Mickey Niblock,SeanO'Connell.
Honorary Members:Sean Martin Lockhart,Henry Diamond,Henry Downey,Anthony McGurk,Gerry
                             O'Loughlin.Fergal Doherty,Gerry McElhinney,Mark Lynch,Enda Muldoon and Paddy
                             Bradley.

Excellent post. I think big Damien is certainly worthy of at least a mention as keeper. And I would add Mickey Lynch to your honorary members.

But getting back to the original post, I think it's impossible to name five. Tohill and Jim mckeever are the only two certs. Sean O'Connell merits a mention for longevity and being the only Derry man with four ulster senior medals. Henry as captain in 93 also. But couldn't narrow it down to five.

Scullion is a cert surely??

Very close yes, but others would make arguments for mckeever, Downey and Lockhart too as defenders. I'd have scullion ahead of all three btw.

mad tan

Shamrock Shore
Hard to disagree with your selection. But I hope you considered  Bobby Burns, Frank McNamee and Mick Casey.

Real Talk

My best five that I have seen playing :

Anthony McGurk
Ciaran McKeever
Sean O'Connell
Mickey Niblock
Anthony Tohill

Those are players than came first to mind