USFC: Armagh v Tyrone @ MAG. 10/6/12

Started by our_fella, May 15, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2012, 10:14:12 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 10, 2012, 10:06:24 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on June 10, 2012, 09:55:36 PM
did anyone hear what BRolly was saying about the game?

"Tyrone masters of the dark arts"  ::)

I usually enjoy his words after games but he could give no credit to Tyrone and put their win down to buying frees. Let himself down today.

He is trying too hard to be contraversial.

He's a natural in that regard. Doesn't have to try too hard.

To be honest, i am finding him hard to listen to these days - would have given him a listen to a few years ago, and enjoyed his chat. He is no doubt articulate and intelligent. BUt i think he is running out of steam...repeating the same shite all the time, and being controversial for the sake of it. Spillane makes him look good.

As an aside, I think his salivary gland is fucked
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

118cmal

When is the draw for the qualifiers?

Orangemac

Decision to bring on Kingham and launch balls into him was the wrong one. Tyrone's defence was in trouble every time we wemt forward up to that point.

Encouraging display all round, pity Aaron Kernan hadn't stayed on as he may have added a bit of composure in the last 5 minutes. Tyrone were just that bit cuter at winning frees and turning over ball when they needed to.

Having saw how much damage we did, I think Tyrone have a lot of work to do if they want to deal with Cork or Dublin come August.

babarino

As a neutral I thought experience won out. Armagh supporters should be very confident about the future, with some great talent coming through. Inexperience did cost them this match.

Tyrone remain the team to beat in Ulster.

mackers

The turning point in the game was not the sending off of Dyas but Armagh bringing Kingham on....we were on top at the time and instead of continuing to use Gavin McParland and Jamie Clarke we started launching high ball on top of Kingham.  I counted four balls kicked into him, we got one score off it and wasted three golden chances.  Tyrone could see what was coming and for at least one of the balls in they had Colm Cavanagh, Joe McMahon and Pascal McConnell on top of him.
Dyas had a great game for Armagh and hopefully he will kick on from here but himself and Caolan Rafferty will do anything but take on a shot themselves.
I thought Ciaran McKeever was wasted sitting in on O'Neill and then Mulligan, he should have been played further out the field. Anto Duffy and Brian Mallon had good games.
For the qualifiers I hope that the management team place their trust in the younger forwards, let McVerry, McParland, Grugan (if fit) and Jamie Clarke at it.  Please,please, please do not resort to Kingham at the edge of the square.
Jamie was a bit greedy today, which, in fairness, isn't normally like him.  Looked like the management had told him to shoot on sight.  Normally he's excellent in bringing other forwards into play.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Orchardman

i was happy enough with armagh today, there is the makings of a good team there. In the end though, it shows we dont expect that much any more. Despite the good crowd there today, it just seemed like a nice day out, nobody got that bothered really until it was level with 5-10 mins left. If armagh had of taken the lead it would have left a tasty finish though

if were gonna have a target man, maybe mcparland is the man. he's fairly strong and would be more mobile than kingham to take his own scores as well, with clarke, forker, rafferty and mcverry could be good forward line.

fair play to brian mallon today as well, being the only experienced man in the front 6, did a job

Encouraging from Armagh, if they had another scoring forward to help Clarke out things may have been different (pity McDonnell didn't give it another year). I agree with those who are praising Brian Mallon as hopefully now he can push on and start to fulfill his early promise. Also agree that the hit and hope balls in the last ten minutes just played into Tyrones hands and they were able to use the resuting possession to build their own attacks. It was refreshing to see Armagh play a more open game, but 19 scores conceded means they need to tighten things up at the back to have a chance of putting a winning run together in the qualifiers.
O'Neills Therapist

ONeill

2 things stood out for me:

That was some man marking job Moriarty did on Harte. There'll be an orange hand print on Peter's back tonight. Moriarty completely sacrificed any ball time and spent the game facing Harte or touching his jersey. Even when Harte went back to defend, Moriarty followed him in case he got his hands on the ball on his own endline. Remarkable application to his gameplan.

McCrory on Clarke. I'm sure the papers will give him low markings tomorrow but when you're going man-for-man, no one will get the better of Jamie Clarke. I thought McCrory did fine - Clarke (I don't think) never got a sniff of goal. He scored a few remarkable points that only he and O'Neill could do.

Colm Cavanagh - where did that come from?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armamike

Disappointing, Tyrone were there for the taking. A bit more belief was needed and a few guys to chip in with more scores.

Our minors blew it, hit by sucker punch goals at bad times. By far the better team for long periods. They paid the price for not stopping Tyrone runs from deep. Not cynical enough.
That's just, like your opinion man.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on June 11, 2012, 12:16:37 AM

That was some man marking job Moriarty did on Harte. There'll be an orange hand print on Peter's back tonight. Moriarty completely sacrificed any ball time and spent the game facing Harte or touching his jersey. Even when Harte went back to defend, Moriarty followed him in case he got his hands on the ball on his own endline. Remarkable application to his gameplan.

McCrory on Clarke. I'm sure the papers will give him low markings tomorrow but when you're going man-for-man, no one will get the better of Jamie Clarke. I thought McCrory did fine - Clarke (I don't think) never got a sniff of goal. He scored a few remarkable points that only he and O'Neill could do.

Was fascinated by that too, especially as a few years ago they were teacher and pupil. Bit like Mugsy and Peter only in reverse. Thought Peter did well.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on June 09, 2012, 09:02:31 AM
As a neutral, if a Down man can be that where Arma are concerned, I am looking forward to this clash and hoping, nay expecting it to be game to lift what has been a underpowered and dull Ulster Championship so far.

Com'on both teams give us a cracker.

Thanks Arma & Tyrone.  You delivered.

saffron sam2

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Wally.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

sheamy

Anyone else think Ciaran McKeever is hugely overrated? After Eoin Bradley made him look second rate last year, Stevie O'Neill repeated the dose yesterday.

nrico2006

I think a big factor was the switch of Joe McMahon to full back at half time.  Joe and Cavanagh were flying in the first half but the change allowed Armagh do gain a lot more of the ball aroud the middle in the 2nd half.  In saying that Joe was unreal at full-back, was unlucky to be fouled by Kingham and for the free to be awarded incorrectly to Armagh. 

What was wrong with Justin McMahon?  Seemed to be struggling when turned one stage in the first half and seemed to have no speed at all?  He has been very injury prone the past few years but is there some chronic injury he plays with? 

Thought Dermy Carlin and Sean O'Neill did well, with Colm Cavanagh involved in some great passages of play.  SON seems to have a serious issue with staying on his feet, could have did more damage if he had.  Penrose was unreal, his finishing and tracking back were top notch.  McNabb put in some great defensive work, with that great block standing out.  Brilliant dummy by SON that completely fooled McKeever who ended up running into his own man and being knocked down, funny to see. 

The performance yesterday far exceeded my expectations after the Kildare game.  Its a shame that Coney and O'Neill are out for the summer as we just seem to be missing a forward or two who win the ball, beat their man with pace and score.  SON and Mulligan just don't have that extra gear that they used to when it comes to beating their men.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NaomhBridAbú

fair observations - i'd say that maybe on a different day Moriarty may have been sent off. At times he was a little over zealous, but he kept Peter Harte in check.

Agree that McCrory will not get credit for the job he did on Jamie Clarke - Clarke is pure class. And despite his shape, he takes some serious hits, and never moans or tries to buy the ref...great player.

Colm Cavanagh's best performance in any jersey, i'd say...no fear at all, and managed to shut his mouth for the whole game...thought he was a contender for MOTM
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye