The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

It's gas that some people here think a rugby Test Match is somehow equivalent to a soccer friendly or GAA challenge match.
Why would you post on a thread about something you know nothing about when all you achieve is to highlight your complete ignorance?!

Just because rugby (and cricket, which is similar) Test Matches are meaningless to you, because you lack the basic comprehension to understand the sport, does not mean they are meaningless!

rodney trotter

It has more prestige ,but New Zealand were on the beer during the week. They had played 14 International since June while Ireland had played 4. They were coming to Europe on.a bit of a wind down.

Ireland beat the All Blacks in 16 and 18.and flopped where it mattered against Japan at the WC.

screenexile

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 15, 2021, 10:18:03 PM
It has more prestige ,but New Zealand were on the beer during the week. They had played 14 International since June while Ireland had played 4. They were coming to Europe on.a bit of a wind down.

Ireland beat the All Blacks in 16 and 18.and flopped where it mattered against Japan at the WC.

I don't think anyone on here is disputing any of that. Doesn't change the fact Ireland played well why can't anyone say that without getting jumped on?

Ultimately it won't matter unless we get a 6N out of it and a Semi Final at the next World Cup but we played well and it bodes well for the 6 Nations after Christmas song old stuff.

Milltown Row2

I'm just looking forward to the easy excuses for hitting the pub!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

The reason they were beaten at the RWC was because they were predictable. They need to work on this for next time.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on November 15, 2021, 10:10:03 PM
It's gas that some people here think a rugby Test Match is somehow equivalent to a soccer friendly or GAA challenge match.
Why would you post on a thread about something you know nothing about when all you achieve is to highlight your complete ignorance?!

Just because rugby (and cricket, which is similar) Test Matches are meaningless to you, because you lack the basic comprehension to understand the sport, does not mean they are meaningless!

I've never heard a proper explanation of the difference beyond "they just are"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 16, 2021, 07:00:52 AM

I think there is rankings and this helps with World Cup seedlings? I could be talking complete shit (not first time ;D )
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2021, 07:30:29 AM

I think there is rankings and this helps with World Cup seedlings? I could be talking complete shit (not first time ;D )

Is that not the case in soccer too though? And Ireland have did well in these tests before but it hasn't really effected their performance at the world cups no matter how they've been seeded. In soccer you could argue that getting a higher ranking is actually more important as it effects your group for qualification (which unlike rugby is actually very difficult).

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gerry-thornley-beating-the-all-blacks-feeling-can-never-be-taken-for-granted-1.4729608
Farrell and Mike Catt have gradually unleashed a freer attacking game, and a new breed of dynamic young Test match animals up front have helped this team reach previously unexplored parameters. They're clearly loving it and it's fun to watch, but it's not without carefully developed structures and even a little of the old pragmatism.

A tactic in 2013 was to rein in the offloads and not push passes for fear of risking intercepts. Interestingly, amid all the brilliance of the performance, there were only two offloads last Saturday compared to the 18 against Japan. Ireland didn't force things, keeping turnovers to a minimum and not coughing up any intercepts against the intercept kings, or much in the way of opportunities off turnovers. An example was the way Sexton pulled the ball back into his grasp rather than risk an intercept by Will Jordan and taking ball into contact when suffering his knee and ankle injury.

seafoid

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 16, 2021, 07:50:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2021, 07:30:29 AM

Is that not the case in soccer too though? And Ireland have did well in these tests before but it hasn't really effected their performance at the world cups no matter how they've been seeded. In soccer you could argue that getting a higher ranking is actually more important as it effects your group for qualification (which unlike rugby is actually very difficult).
2019 probably wasn't the worst RWC flop. 2007 was dreadful. 2011 was bad as well.

Itchy

Me either. I get that its one of the best teams in the world etc and it was a fine performance. BUT - there are no trophies, no medals, the team wasnt crowned as champions of anything. Calling it a "test" match (whatever that is supposed to mean) doesn't change those facts no matter what any of the D4 brigade tell you. Do the English or French spend as much time blowing about winning these glorified challenge games as in Ireland?

imtommygunn

The english do yes. I don't know about the french.

rodney trotter

Quote from: screenexile on November 15, 2021, 11:26:48 PM

I don't think anyone on here is disputing any of that. Doesn't change the fact Ireland played well why can't anyone say that without getting jumped on?

Ultimately it won't matter unless we get a 6N out of it and a Semi Final at the next World Cup but we played well and it bodes well for the 6 Nations after Christmas song old stuff.

Ireland did play very well.no doubt. They dominated the game.

After the 2018 test against NZ Ireland were being tipped to win the WC. Johnny Sexton will be 38.by the time of the next WC. Will he be still around or should they be planning with a.new 10?

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2021, 06:47:14 AM

The reason they were beaten at the RWC was because they were predictable. They need to work on this for next time.

Hence showing your hand this far out from a WC may be not the wisest thing to do, but no one goes out not to give it their all and hence why I think Saturdays performance was pleasing in that not only did Ireland dominate the ball in a way they've never done against any AB side, they weren't hanging on and if anything the 9 point win didn't tell the true tale of the dominance Ireland had.

One thing of concern is Irelands inability to come away with points when camped on the try line. The AB defence was superb but there's only so much crashing over the line you can do before accepting it's futile and a bit more width out back could have helped. Lowe's try came from sucking in AB defenders only for a few quick passes out the back putting Lowe in space to finish in the other corner.
More of that please.

O'Mahoney is a penalty giving away machine but he's on that edge that McCaw used to inhabit and must be a pain for the opposition, Farrell has found he's the man for the last 10 minutes. Beirne also better coming in fresh rather than starting and although I think he's better than Henderson in the round, Henderson can hammer away for 50 odd minutes before introducing Beirne..

Nice to see Doris going so well after all his concussion woes.