Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl121

I just go to the gym when I can maybe a couple of times a week. I can hit a top speed of more than 16 like, usually mid 20s in a sprint but average speed is 15 at best usually. I probably would need to get out with a group or talk some of my mates into getting bikes. Also probably need to spend a few weeks riding up and down the sperrins. I just feel like my fitness seems to stay the same level and every ride feels like the same effort (not easy and not threshold effort)

heffo

Quote from: illdecide on February 13, 2019, 10:42:38 PM
There's better men than me to advise you here but my guess is not to worry too much about your watts or pace over the winter but try and get more miles into the legs, the more times you get out the better you'll get and the speed will go up and the watts will follow.
What about joining a club and going out with them, that'll bring u on loads.

Same as.

Just get out on the bike and start cycling, if there is a club with a beginners group near you then even better. Too early to be worrying about watts

grounded

Quote from: markl121 on February 14, 2019, 08:44:03 AM
I just go to the gym when I can maybe a couple of times a week. I can hit a top speed of more than 16 like, usually mid 20s in a sprint but average speed is 15 at best usually. I probably would need to get out with a group or talk some of my mates into getting bikes. Also probably need to spend a few weeks riding up and down the sperrins. I just feel like my fitness seems to stay the same level and every ride feels like the same effort (not easy and not threshold effort)

Ahh ffs, sorry about that, makes more sense now.
          Unless your in a group its actually hard enough to maintain a high average speed. So i wouldnt worry too much.
           Get yourself out with a local club. You will soon improve!

markl121

Thanks for the replies guys I'll just get stuck in over summer ha

maddog

Quote from: markl121 on February 14, 2019, 04:19:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys I'll just get stuck in over summer ha

Get stuck in now. The old saying winter miles = summer smiles

maddog

Anyone doing lap the lough this year ? I see it starts in the Moy 89 miles

bennydorano

Zwift - how do people that have been using it for a while find it now? It's been a relatively decent Winter so far so I don't feel I'm getting value from Zwift tbh, £12.99 p/m is sharp enough too for what it is. Did Trainer Road for a while as well but soon realised it wasn't worth paying for it too. Those coaching plans are the same shit presented differently, smoke and mirrors a lot of it, but cyclists are a funny bunch

GJL

Quote from: maddog on February 15, 2019, 08:26:36 AM

I'll probably do it. I'm doing Mizen to Malin in September so will use the lap as part of my training.

markl121

Quote from: bennydorano on February 15, 2019, 09:20:11 AM
Zwift - how do people that have been using it for a while find it now? It's been a relatively decent Winter so far so I don't feel I'm getting value from Zwift tbh, £12.99 p/m is sharp enough too for what it is. Did Trainer Road for a while as well but soon realised it wasn't worth paying for it too. Those coaching plans are the same shit presented differently, smoke and mirrors a lot of it, but cyclists are a funny bunch
I've found that my way of using it (speed sensor on cheap turbo) it doesn't really make me feel like I'm part of the game. I end up looking at the effort level needed and just keeping the head down. I might cancel it. The gcn workouts on YouTube seem decent. Maybe if I had a direct drive smart trainer that mimicked the hills etc then zwift would be better.

markl121

What's lap the lough like difficulty wise? Might aim to do it this year

bennydorano

Quote from: markl121 on February 15, 2019, 10:01:15 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 15, 2019, 09:20:11 AM
I've found that my way of using it (speed sensor on cheap turbo) it doesn't really make me feel like I'm part of the game. I end up looking at the effort level needed and just keeping the head down. I might cancel it. The gcn workouts on YouTube seem decent. Maybe if I had a direct drive smart trainer that mimicked the hills etc then zwift would be better.
I'm doing it with power but doesn't automatically adjust for hills either, feel similarly. I also did the free Sufferfest videos on YouTube the past few years and they were a good job for intervals.

gerry

Quote from: markl121 on February 15, 2019, 10:06:20 AM
What's lap the lough like difficulty wise? Might aim to do it this year

Done it years ago and it wasn't so bad with only hill.   Be careful as loads of noobs doing it
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Randy

Hello All,

I am sure this has been covered already but looking for some advice of cycling shoes. I bought a racer a few years ago but was too lazy to use it. I now have a different mindset and began cycling a few weeks ago.. Only up to 30km yet and have gone out the last 3 Sunday mornings before the family are up.

I just wear a pair of runners but they don't fit into the pedal straps great so i was thinking of getting the proper shoes cycling shoes and of course i would need new pedals to suit.

Any advice on what make to get and where to buy would be great appreciated. .Thanks in advance.

maddog

Quote from: Randy on June 10, 2019, 02:50:03 PM
Hello All,

I am sure this has been covered already but looking for some advice of cycling shoes. I bought a racer a few years ago but was too lazy to use it. I now have a different mindset and began cycling a few weeks ago.. Only up to 30km yet and have gone out the last 3 Sunday mornings before the family are up.

I just wear a pair of runners but they don't fit into the pedal straps great so i was thinking of getting the proper shoes cycling shoes and of course i would need new pedals to suit.

Any advice on what make to get and where to buy would be great appreciated. .Thanks in advance.

If you intend just doing a bit of cycling but not going down the racing route you might want to consider SPD shoes and pedals as the cleats are recessed and means you can walk in the shoes without your toes sticking in the air. They tend to be more for commuters and mountain bikers but perfectly adequate for road use as well. Plenty of shoes on the market will take either type of cleat.You can get perfectly decent shoes for about £50 but obviously the pedals have to be bought as well. Shimano m324 pedals are a good choice if you want to be able to ride in the cleats or with trainers on. (double sided)

Randy

Quote from: maddog on June 10, 2019, 03:05:10 PM
Quote from: Randy on June 10, 2019, 02:50:03 PM
If you intend just doing a bit of cycling but not going down the racing route you might want to consider SPD shoes and pedals as the cleats are recessed and means you can walk in the shoes without your toes sticking in the air. They tend to be more for commuters and mountain bikers but perfectly adequate for road use as well. Plenty of shoes on the market will take either type of cleat.You can get perfectly decent shoes for about £50 but obviously the pedals have to be bought as well. Shimano m324 pedals are a good choice if you want to be able to ride in the cleats or with trainers on. (double sided)

Thank you very much for the advice that's great. I intend to cycle just to get healthier not to enter a race. Maybe join a cycling club to go on longer journeys in the future hopefully.