The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Boycey on July 25, 2019, 10:46:49 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 25, 2019, 09:46:50 PM
This innings was all over the place
If they get an early wicket tomorrow(which they should) the target is achievable but it will be tough.

This can only be a draw if it goes onto the final day right?

Barring an incredible last wicket stand by England or intervention from the weather there definitely won't be a draw with 2 days play left, there may be a tie however  :) but that's only happened twice ever.

Ahhhh.....Good lord......go on then, enlighten us. Im guessing that when the run totals match

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2019, 06:55:28 PM
England lead is 181 with one wicket left.

I suspect Ireland will struggle to get to 150.

I'd agree with this. England win wrapped up by tea tomorrow.

Still, a decent show by our chaps. Better than I expected.

Boycey

Spot on  ;D, a draw happens when neither side has forced a win at the end of the allotted time and a tie happens when the scores are equal at the end of the time! It's only happened twice in over 2000 test matches.

It will be one of the great shocks in all sports should Ireland win tomorrow. A team playing in their 3rd test match beating a team that's been playing for 150 odd years.

magpie seanie

If we can get the last wicket tomorrow without the addition of any more runs we've a chance. Tomorrow is onyl the third day....usually in a test when you're going for a taget you'd be batting on a 4th or 5th day pitch which would be significantly worse. Today ebbed and flowed and showed for me why Test cricket is the Daddy of them all. Some effort by our bowlers in that heat. Tomorrow could be even better. There's always the possibility of any side collapsing. Hope we don't and give it a good cut. It would be just unreal to win this match.

JimStynes

It's test cricket not on the way out and 20/20 and shorter versions of cricket becoming more popular? In terms of growing the sport in places like Ireland, It would be a lot more appealing having a shorter version rather sitting all day on Saturday.

Main Street

I watched a few games of our young lads at u19 play a 90 minute euro finals competitive game at full throttle in 38C heat, would bowling 20 or so balls be more demanding than that?

magpie seanie

Quote from: JimStynes on July 26, 2019, 12:02:19 AM
It's test cricket not on the way out and 20/20 and shorter versions of cricket becoming more popular? In terms of growing the sport in places like Ireland, It would be a lot more appealing having a shorter version rather sitting all day on Saturday.

I hope test cricket never dies. It's still the ultimate test of a player. As a kid I used to love watching tests on BBC2, trying to work out exactly what was going on. I enjoy the other forms of the game myself and there's no denying the popularity of T20 and 50 over cricket. It's like a really nice burger. Very tasty and enjoyable but there's nothing like a good steak. I accept I'm in the minority on that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Main Street on July 26, 2019, 02:03:17 AM
I watched a few games of our young lads at u19 play a 90 minute euro finals competitive game at full throttle in 38C heat, would bowling 20 or so balls be more demanding than that?

It's difficult to make the comparison. Cricket players would be out on the pitch much longer though clearly not as active. However, our bowlers yesterday bowled a lot more than 20 balls. My calculations for balls delivered yesterday are Murtagh 102, Adair 120, Rankin 102, Thompson 76. Those guys are fast/medium pacers so each ball is like a sprint or certainly 3/4 pace run. McBrine is a spinner (pretty much walks up) and delivered 60 balls. Certainly by the standards of the game is was a long, hot day in the field and it's good for us that the early finish came so our batsmen should be fresh to face the England openers. We should have a chance if we can see off the opening onslaught. I'm glad Anderson isn't playing.

Orior

Mad dogs and englishmen
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Boycey on July 25, 2019, 11:13:21 PM
It will be one of the great shocks in all sports should Ireland win tomorrow. A team playing in their 3rd test match beating a team that's been playing for 150 odd years.

This.

I'm open to correction on the facts but I recall hearing that New Zealand were playing something like 28 years as a Test side before they achieved their first win.

magpie seanie

Thompson gets the last wicket with the first ball. Huge swing on the delivery. Conditions great for bowling.....we'll be hoping for it to clear up and dry out ASAP. A huge and difficult hour coming where we just need to survive.

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2019, 11:15:16 AM
Thompson gets the last wicket with the first ball. Huge swing on the delivery. Conditions great for bowling.....we'll be hoping for it to clear up and dry out ASAP. A huge and difficult hour coming where we just need to survive.

HOWZATTTTT!!!

magpie seanie

In trouble early. Broad bowling well.

magpie seanie

gallsman

Yeah, Broad is too much for them. Hard to see them pulling it off now unless O'Brien pulls a monster out of nowhere.