Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Charging U12's into championship games....

Are we that desperate for money?

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on August 02, 2022, 06:13:53 PM
Yep!

Being a reserve manager, and watching your team's spine being ripped apart in a dead rubber SFC match, is as little fun as you can have in the GAA.

Tbh, I think that if a) we will continue with the back door in SFC/IFC , and b) we will continue with Reserves being finished before the first team championships, then I think the right system is that anyone who played (even for a minute) in 2 or more first team championship matches the previous season, should be excluded (and your named 13 has to come from this list). And in the unlikely event that a club doesn't end up with 13+ excluded players, it then reverts to the named 13 they dream up.

Onus should be on club secretaries to return a list of excluded players before the start of the season.

Excluded lists should be listed on the website, I do not see why they don't.

If playing reserve championships before senior etc then it should be excluded senior 16 intermediate 14 and junior 12 players.

The B competitions are good but seed the first round of fixtures as it will be Burren v Clonduff in the final of the PRFC B this weekend.

thewobbler

In roughly 12 hours you've gone from wondering why D2 teams aren't competitive at reserve level, to recommending seeding so we can ensure that it never happens again.

You're hard to keep up with.

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on August 03, 2022, 08:56:37 AM
In roughly 12 hours you've gone from wondering why D2 teams aren't competitive at reserve level, to recommending seeding so we can ensure that it never happens again.

Teachers.. you know what there like, career gets in the way of their drinking hobby, get a bit dopey during the summer so they do

wobbller

Quote from: Mourne Red on August 03, 2022, 11:43:09 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 03, 2022, 08:56:37 AM

Teachers.. you know what there like, career gets in the way of their drinking hobby, get a bit dopey during the summer so they do
And the other 3 seasons also.

upandwin

Serious question, what has happened Ballyholland this season? I know they've a couple of lads away to the states but they've had some really good runs in the championship this last few years and been very competitive in D1 for a while now. It's not just that they've been relegated but they haven't won a game in about 10 weeks which is unheard of for them. Any Harps people here have an insight? Know the management were  pushed out, was it because of the fallout?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: upandwin on August 03, 2022, 02:32:56 PM
Serious question, what has happened Ballyholland this season? I know they've a couple of lads away to the states but they've had some really good runs in the championship this last few years and been very competitive in D1 for a while now. It's not just that they've been relegated but they haven't won a game in about 10 weeks which is unheard of for them. Any Harps people here have an insight? Know the management were  pushed out, was it because of the fallout?

What fallout?? I assumed it was because of results???

Truth hurts

It's mad to think that Glenn is in trouble of heading to division 3, they need a win in the Stone tomorrow night

wobbller

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 04, 2022, 09:16:53 AM
It's mad to think that Glenn is in trouble of heading to division 3, they need a win in the Stone tomorrow night
That's the way leagues work.

Truth hurts

Heard from a reputable figure in Down GAA circles this morning in Urban that Laverty is senior manager and Benny the minor manager. They just have to finalize the backroom teams.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 25, 2022, 08:42:31 AM
I am just after grabbing a coffee in Brennans and I was told that wee James will be put forward by county management to the county board tonight to be county senior manager 2023.

This was from you just over a week ago . There are bound to be easier ways to get attention ....

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 05, 2022, 08:51:11 AM
Heard from a reputable figure in Down GAA circles this morning in Urban that Laverty is senior manager and Benny the minor manager. They just have to finalize the backroom teams.
Urban Cafe in the 'Town has been closed since Wednesday due to a Covid issue so was this a dream you had overnight or are you just nuts?

Down94

Heard from a source from within the club that Burren payed a certain high profile player the same amount they were set to receive from a club in America in order to stay this summer. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Down94 on August 05, 2022, 01:52:53 PM
Heard from a source from within the club that Burren payed a certain high profile player the same amount they were set to receive from a club in America in order to stay this summer. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Absolute fact. It's ok having the backing of a oligarch - we all don't have that privilege.

Massive games tonight - I expect CPN to beat Ford, Carryduff to win, Loughinisland and Rostrevor to win as well. Burren to beat Bridge and Kilcoo thirds to beat Clonduff.

rosskarr

Quote from: Down94 on August 05, 2022, 01:52:53 PM
Bit of a let down there with your first post.Old news!