Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 15, 2021, 09:47:21 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 15, 2021, 09:14:53 AM
The bet of the weekend is 7/4 Loughinisland, mark my words, you think Tyrone has been cute hoors!!

Nothing cute about us TH, keep talking about Clonduff and RGU being dark horses.. Noones talking about us which is what we like

You had loads of men at training over the weeks that you apparently have covid cases while putting in a lot of heavy work. You hear a lot while getting an ice-cream ;)

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 15, 2021, 09:44:56 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 15, 2021, 09:21:37 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 15, 2021, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 15, 2021, 08:47:15 AM
It was a little thoughtless by CCC.

But I do think it's possibly time that hurling folk in our county moved to bring their championships forward, so as not to clash with football.

I know we should in theory protect and honour the dual player. But if a coupon of dozen men (can it be many more than that) wish to pursue two sports equally to a very high level, is it fair to expect the rest of us to build our schedule around their narrow needs?

What are the reasons why hurling championships couldn't start earlier?

Probably the same reasons the football one wasn't started earlier which I'm only guessing is that with the various changes to the GAA calendars that they don't want to play championship through the summer period when people may be taking time off for holidays..

Only surmising.

But let's say next year Johnny. Would it be impractical to play the hurling championship a little earlier?

I've mentioned it before on here, and it's the major reason why I prefer u17 grades to u18 grades. In 2017 Liatroim were going well in the MFC, MCC, IHC and IFC simultaneously, with a handful of players involved in all four teams. Expecting CCC to be able to facilitate this was actually unreasonable and to be fair, I heard few complaints from Liatroim at the time (even though I believe they ended up underperforming in each grade). But it was an eye opener into just how difficult it can be to plan championships when they fully overlap.
The Intermediate and Junior hurling championships, where most of the dual players play, are on after the football championships so they mostly do avoid each other. The 2020 championship was held off so much last year it didn't happen so it was played in July this year. If one of the intermediate teams go up next year there will have to be a different plan to avoid the same issues.

Apart from one player from Ballygalget/RGU they only had to work around Bredagh so it shouldn't of happened.

Bredagh evidently would have been happy to play senior football on the friday and then the hurling on the Sunday. Not sure how the CCC ended up with Bredagh playing football on the Saturday which caused the issue with their hurlers but that isn't a big thing to take into account for the CCC.

Pre Covid the hurling championship had a backdoor format similar to the football and was timed to run into the Ulster Club championship semifinal/final normally in October/Nov time and that's only but fair.
Playing it earlier or later would have the winners sitting on their hands for a month or so and that's hardly ideal preparation.

There are indeed more issues with the intermediate and junior hurling championships as they're solely dual clubs by and large.

I see this year the provincial hurling championships are scheduled for Dec 2021 for the semi-final and Jan 2022 for the final. I can only think thats so whoever wins Ulster is then straight into an AI semi-final. There'll be a large gap anyway for the Down champions anyway but hurling is better played on a dry sod whereas for football it's less critical.

AIB Ulster GAA Hurling Senior Club Championship
(Year 2 of 3)

Semi Final (Saturday 11 / Sunday 12 December)

Aontroim V Doire

Final (Saturday 08 / Sunday 09 January)

An Dún V Semi Final Winner

All-Ireland Semi Final (Saturday 22 / Sunday 23 January)

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on September 15, 2021, 10:02:43 AM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 15, 2021, 09:44:56 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 15, 2021, 09:21:37 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 15, 2021, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 15, 2021, 08:47:15 AM
It was a little thoughtless by CCC.

But I do think it's possibly time that hurling folk in our county moved to bring their championships forward, so as not to clash with football.

I know we should in theory protect and honour the dual player. But if a coupon of dozen men (can it be many more than that) wish to pursue two sports equally to a very high level, is it fair to expect the rest of us to build our schedule around their narrow needs?

What are the reasons why hurling championships couldn't start earlier?

Probably the same reasons the football one wasn't started earlier which I'm only guessing is that with the various changes to the GAA calendars that they don't want to play championship through the summer period when people may be taking time off for holidays..

Only surmising.

But let's say next year Johnny. Would it be impractical to play the hurling championship a little earlier?

I've mentioned it before on here, and it's the major reason why I prefer u17 grades to u18 grades. In 2017 Liatroim were going well in the MFC, MCC, IHC and IFC simultaneously, with a handful of players involved in all four teams. Expecting CCC to be able to facilitate this was actually unreasonable and to be fair, I heard few complaints from Liatroim at the time (even though I believe they ended up underperforming in each grade). But it was an eye opener into just how difficult it can be to plan championships when they fully overlap.
The Intermediate and Junior hurling championships, where most of the dual players play, are on after the football championships so they mostly do avoid each other. The 2020 championship was held off so much last year it didn't happen so it was played in July this year. If one of the intermediate teams go up next year there will have to be a different plan to avoid the same issues.

Apart from one player from Ballygalget/RGU they only had to work around Bredagh so it shouldn't of happened.

Bredagh evidently would have been happy to play senior football on the friday and then the hurling on the Sunday. Not sure how the CCC ended up with Bredagh playing football on the Saturday which caused the issue with their hurlers but that isn't a big thing to take into account for the CCC.

Pre Covid the hurling championship had a backdoor format similar to the football and was timed to run into the Ulster Club championship semifinal/final normally in October/Nov time and that's only but fair.
Playing it earlier or later would have the winners sitting on their hands for a month or so and that's hardly ideal preparation.

There are indeed more issues with the intermediate and junior hurling championships as they're solely dual clubs by and large.

I see this year the provincial hurling championships are scheduled for Dec 2021 for the semi-final and Jan 2022 for the final. I can only think thats so whoever wins Ulster is then straight into an AI semi-final. There'll be a large gap anyway for the Down champions anyway but hurling is better played on a dry sod whereas for football it's less critical.

AIB Ulster GAA Hurling Senior Club Championship
(Year 2 of 3)

Semi Final (Saturday 11 / Sunday 12 December)

Aontroim V Doire

Final (Saturday 08 / Sunday 09 January)

An Dún V Semi Final Winner

All-Ireland Semi Final (Saturday 22 / Sunday 23 January)

Would they have been better to hold off until after the football this year do you think and run with the IHC & JHC or would the lack of refs stop that too?

Do Derry and Antrim do football & hurling championships week about?

upandwin

Does anyone actually have any insight in to when we will see the new Down Management team announced? Is it imminent or still to be interviewed?

Truth hurts

Deegan and O'Rourke to be announced soon with A N Other ex Queens university GAA great.

Smurfy123

I have heard all the names that everyone has heard
Deegan
Laverty
O Rourke
Oaks
Hackett

Do I think any of the above are Downs first choice picks no not in the slightest
Do I think they are struggling and above are the options now? Maybe
Do I think we have all been fooled and Down will name a big name manager soon? Yes

If it was any of the above what reason is there not to announce him before the championship starts tomorrow night? None

If they are still working on someone then that's the hold up. That is the only reason why a delay in naming a man is happening

Struggling to get who they want and are still in discussions

I don't believe any of the above are first choice picks but it could happen

No other reason why it should take over 9 weeks

Truth hurts

There are no Down matches scheduled on Pairc TV?

Godsown

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 15, 2021, 12:40:50 PM
Deegan
Laverty
O Rourke
Oaks
Hackett

Do I think any of the above are Downs first choice picks no not in the slightest
Do I think we have all been fooled and Down will name a big name manager soon? Yes

If it was any of the above what reason is there not to announce him before the championship starts tomorrow night? None

If they are still working on someone then that's the hold up. That is the only reason why a delay in naming a man is happening

Who are Oaks and Hackett?

johnnycool

Quote from: Godsown on September 15, 2021, 04:34:59 PM
Deegan
Laverty
O Rourke
Oaks
Hackett

Karl Oaks from Downpatrick and jack Hackett from Craggy Island;

Smurfy123

From Dublin I'm lead to believe
Manages Kilmacud Crokes

SamFever

Quote from: Godsown on September 15, 2021, 04:34:59 PM
Deegan
Laverty
O Rourke
Oaks
Hackett

KO, Another Queens alumini

supersub

Truth hurts

Quote from: supersub on September 16, 2021, 12:04:25 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 15, 2021, 03:21:33 PM
There are no Down matches scheduled on Pairc TV?

Check downgaa.tv

Thanks supersub, fair play to the county board for streaming these games.

general

In regard to streaming of the SFC;

All matches can be bought individually for £5 or a bundle offer for all six games is available at a price of £18. There is also a Super Sunday bundle for the three games at a price of £10

Hopefully the quality of the service is good. its great value for anyone who wants to watch from home.

https://downgaa.tv/events/?activity_type_checked_ids=&locations_checked_ids=&sport_teams_checked_ids=&competitions_teams_checked_ids=&start_date=&end_date=&search_for_an_event=

terrifictommy

Is there a back door this year, I didn't think so but seen a comment a few days ago that there is