Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 6621090 times)

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #35055 on: September 14, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
So in summary, according to you, the county board which is currently:

1. Not scheduling double headers.

2. Avoiding taking payments at the gate, in favour of losing a cut on every ticket to Stripe and the App producer.

3. Charging reduced prices.

Are only doing all this because theyíre batshit crazy bastards who donít understand capacity regulations in the six counties.

Makes perfect sense.

óó

Hit me with ďthatís for double headersĒ all you like. Prior to Covid youíd have paid more than £5 into any SFC game going back 10 years - whether you wanted to watch 1 game, 1.5 games or 2.

There is actually a per adult cost saving going on. Donít try to pretend otherwise. The maths behind it is primary one stuff.

SHEEDY

• View Profile
« Reply #35056 on: September 14, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
Odds for a couple of selected games are interesting;
Clonduff 1/3 draw 15/2 Rostrevor 11/4
Kilcoo 1/6 draw 12/1 Mayobridge 4/1
Carryduff 1/2 draw 7/1 RGU 15/8

Nobody thinks Rostrevor have a chance but plenty fancying Mayobridge who are bigger odds and according to the bookies have less chance of winning. Bookies odds also heavily favour Carryduff against RGU. There's nice wee value double to be had for those fancying Mayobridge and Downpatrick
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #35057 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »

2. Avoiding taking payments at the gate, in favour of losing a cut on every ticket to Stripe and the App producer.

Are only doing all this because theyíre batshit crazy bastards who donít understand capacity regulations in the six counties.

Makes perfect sense.

óó

Hit me with ďthatís for double headersĒ all you like. Prior to Covid youíd have paid more than £5 into any SFC game going back 10 years - whether you wanted to watch 1 game, 1.5 games or 2.

There is actually a per adult cost saving going on. Donít try to pretend otherwise. The maths behind it is primary one stuff.

There is no cost saving going on at all, either you are on the CB or very stupid. The CB have had a disaster and if you canít see the anger on social media from the decision to charge u16s you donít belong in the GAA. You just ignored my point where I proved you wrong about the double header you said it doesnít matter if you wanted to watch 1 game it was still £10.. it was £10 for 2 matches just because youíve no interest in the match before doesnít mean it was £10 for 1 match.

Also the buck stupid decision to schedule SHC and SFC matchís for Bredagh 24 hours apart is another example of how incompetent they are.

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #35058 on: September 14, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »
Down Facebook page deleted their post about pricing because of the backlash in the comments about charging u16s into matches... But TheWobbler will have you believe itís justified, thereís an idiot in every village as they say.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #35059 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:12 PM »
The joys of winning our first league a lost phone back on board now
Great win and great celebrations for a few days but now the focus is firmly on the big one
Itís an open one this year but Kilcoo still favourites

As for kids getting charged in
Now Iím no big fan of the county board but what do you want them to do?
Is £5 for a kid into a championship match really that bad?
Whatís the big outcry all about?

Expect the Down manager to be named soon
1 of Conor Laverty or Conor Deegans to be announced

ScarvaLegend

• View Profile
« Reply #35060 on: September 14, 2021, 10:58:38 PM »
I'd agree with Smurfy and wobbler, I don't understand the mass backlash. Everyone that posted negatively has ignored the fact that this is not a permanent change, it is temporary to allow for a restriction on the number of tickets that can be offered for each game. If the country is fully open this time next year, you can guarantee the under 16s will be allowed in FOC again.

Regarding the pricing, single matches in previous years were £8, double headers £10, so yes there has been a reduction on price on adult tickets.

Downtothewire

• View Profile
« Reply #35061 on: September 14, 2021, 11:04:09 PM »

Makes perfect sense.

óó

There is no cost saving going on at all, either you are on the CB or very stupid. The CB have had a disaster and if you canít see the anger on social media from the decision to charge u16s you donít belong in the GAA. You just ignored my point where I proved you wrong about the double header you said it doesnít matter if you wanted to watch 1 game it was still £10.. it was £10 for 2 matches just because youíve no interest in the match before doesnít mean it was £10 for 1 match.

Also the buck stupid decision to schedule SHC and SFC matchís for Bredagh 24 hours apart is another example of how incompetent they are.

Not the first time that has happened just ask Liatroim

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #35062 on: September 14, 2021, 11:29:10 PM »
Down Facebook page deleted their post about pricing because of the backlash in the comments about charging u16s into matches... But TheWobbler will have you believe itís justified, thereís an idiot in every village as they say.

If continually shouting louder and louder helps you convince yourself this a simple black and white issue, then I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

I prefer chatting to people with a more open mind. So Iím tuning out.

Enjoy the championship. It will never be cheaper again.

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #35063 on: September 15, 2021, 12:15:54 AM »

If continually shouting louder and louder helps you convince yourself this a simple black and white issue, then I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

I prefer chatting to people with a more open mind. So Iím tuning out.

Enjoy the championship. It will never be cheaper again.

When they introduced £2 entry for u16s for ďanti-socialĒ behaviour there was backlash on this board now they want to charge £5. Championship was cheaper back in 2019. Good night ✌🏻

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #35064 on: September 15, 2021, 08:26:50 AM »
Whatís wrong with charging kids £5?
If you donít want to pay the £5 then donít go
No doubt if the same people were asked to pay £50 for wee Johnny to attend a soccer match in England it wouldnít be an issue.
Itís acceptable to jump on the back off the GAA and expect everything for free
Ah the grab all association
What about the children getting all year membership for about 30 a year
I know here in Warrenpoint to attend our local soccer club itís that a month and if we are not happy then away on you go
And by the way Iím happy to pay it
£20 for 2 adults and 2 children to attend a championship match in Down is nothing Have a think about it

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #35065 on: September 15, 2021, 08:31:10 AM »

Makes perfect sense.

óó

Not the first time that has happened just ask Liatroim

Probably forgot they'd a hurling game on the Sunday.....

They've now moved the hurling to the tuesday night onto one of the floodlit pitches in Cherryvale which IIRC is only 130metres long. There'll be lads taking scores from their own 20 metre line....

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #35066 on: September 15, 2021, 08:47:15 AM »
It was a little thoughtless by CCC.

But I do think itís possibly time that hurling folk in our county moved to bring their championships forward, so as not to clash with football.

I know we should in theory protect and honour the dual player. But if a coupon of dozen men (can it be many more than that) wish to pursue two sports equally to a very high level, is it fair to expect the rest of us to build our schedule around their narrow needs?

What are the reasons why hurling championships couldnít start earlier?

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #35067 on: September 15, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »
I have to agree with Wobbler and Smurfy about the tickets prices, the past few years a first-round match would have been at least £8 with prices rising to £15 for the final. The ticketing is most likely due to risk assessments and ensuring the county board knows the exact capacity. The backlash from some people is laughable, complaining about paying a fiver to take their kid into a championship match to see a game of football, yet they don't complain when having to pay nearly a fiver in their local pub for a pint of beer. The county board gets a very hard time and usually by people who would not volunteer in their club.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #35068 on: September 15, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
It was a little thoughtless by CCC.

But I do think itís possibly time that hurling folk in our county moved to bring their championships forward, so as not to clash with football.

I know we should in theory protect and honour the dual player. But if a coupon of dozen men (can it be many more than that) wish to pursue two sports equally to a very high level, is it fair to expect the rest of us to build our schedule around their narrow needs?

What are the reasons why hurling championships couldnít start earlier?

Probably the same reasons the football one wasn't started earlier which I'm only guessing is that with the various changes to the GAA calendars that they don't want to play championship through the summer period when people may be taking time off for holidays..

Only surmising.

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #35069 on: September 15, 2021, 09:14:53 AM »
The bet of the weekend is 7/4 Loughinisland, mark my words, you think Tyrone has been cute hoors!!