Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Big draw tonight some interesting knockout ties could take place in the losers pot

Winners pot
Kilcoo
Burren
Clonduff
Ballyholland
Bredagh
Downpatrick
Longstone
Bford/Glenn

Losers
CPN
Mayobridge
Rostrevor
Castlewellan
Saul
Loughinisland
Carryduff
Glenn/Bford

It is going to be interesting

upandwin

Great weekend of Fixtures...lots of interesting results and a few eye catching displays.

Very very early days but from what I watched I'd sum it up like this:

Kilcoo are still the clear favourites for the SFC, not talking about footballing ability but their mentality and guile to find a way to win matches is second to none. They never got rattled yesterday and even though the Bridge played the better football at times in the first half, the Magpies just kept plugging away and stuck to their task. They trust the process.

Warrenpoint sadly won't feature for much longer, they're badly short some key players and will not see the quarter finals this year IMO, mad the difference a couple of weeks can make.

Burren and Clonduff will both fancy their chances this year and Burren in particular will be quietly confident. I think Burren will raise their game and beat Kilcoo if they meet each other. Clonduff I think will be a nearly team this year but they can win it over the next 3/4 years if they stick together.

Castlewellan are a badly fading force in Down football and they will have a long year ahead of them in D1 in 2022 after the display I witnessed against Bredagh. Carryduff are also struggling massively with a few injuries to key men forcing them through the back door and they might not see another final of senior championship for a long time IMO.

I fancied RGU to be the real outsiders for a Championship run and I'll stick by that...it will take a seriously good team to stop them , their only worry is that a few injuries to starting 15 will kill them as their strength and depth is none existent outside of their starters.

In the relegation fight for Intermediate championship I'm going to say the obvious choice is Saul. They're miles off the senior championship standard but IFC next year could do them no harm and this year should be celebrated by their players and supporters as a great experience to play against the biggest club in Down this year in SFC and give their lads a big day out.

thewobbler

Round 2 winners group
Clonduff v kilcoo
Glen v burren
Rgu Downpatrick v longstone
Bredagh v ballyholland

Losers draw
Carryduff v saul
Loughinisland v mayobridge
CPN v byransford
Castlewellan v rostrevor

Smurfy123

Some big draws
The stand out one being Clonduff and Kilcoo
It will get centre stage in Newry on Friday night or Sunday
What has happened to Bryansford senior footballers? That was terrible stuff tonight
A once dominant force in Down they have got nothing now

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 20, 2021, 09:47:05 PM
Some big draws
The stand out one being Clonduff and Kilcoo
It will get centre stage in Newry on Friday night or Sunday
What has happened to Bryansford senior footballers? That was terrible stuff tonight
A once dominant force in Down they have got nothing now

No credit to Glenn, no???

Smurfy123

Apologies Hedge
Glenn were full value for the win
A great performance and they never looked like loosing that match
A lack of fight and desire from the Ford

thebar

Well done Glenn on a deserved win tonight. Bryansford in a poor place with not much leadership on or off the field it would seem in terms of their senior team...maybe Poacher wasn't so slow and got out early doors?

Godsown

Very impressive display from Glenn tonight. Some great individual performances all over the park but they are a very cohesive unit and will be very dangerous. How'd they not get out of Div 2 ?

SamFever

Quote from: Godsown on September 20, 2021, 10:35:39 PM
Very impressive display from Glenn tonight. Some great individual performances all over the park but they are a very cohesive unit and will be very dangerous. How'd they not get out of Div 2 ?
They didn't win enough matches I'd say.Dromara for us🤷🏻‍♂️

Godsown

thebar

Quote from: Godsown on September 20, 2021, 10:35:39 PM
In fairness i seen Glen play the Stone earlier in the year and they were poor enough but missing a few key players at the time...Millar wasnt about for sure. Seems like they have got a few boys back...all helps.

BarryBreensBandage

Very proud of that Glenn win tonight.
I thought Bransford were handy enough tonight, but Glenn were more in control of the game.
That Glenn team can,  and I hope they do, give Burren a rattle. Nothing to lose.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

terrifictommy

I don't think the comment was dismissive of Glenn, more a question of what has happened with Bryansford. Poor league campaign and struggling in Championship. As for the Poacher comment - did he not abandon ship at the last minute throwing the whole thing in the air?

ApresMatch

Glenn, the Stone and Bredagh all well ahead of Castlewellan on their day in Div 2. Prob few others too. But the Town are up. Missed opportunities for few teams this year.

Johnnysboys

Nasty rumours going around about Kilcoo player today.. Is the cloak starting to slip??
Draws this week are very predictable apart from the Kilcoo v Clonduff game. Is it time to scrap the back door system??