Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champion The Wonder Horse

Worst performance from the Ulster champions in an All-Ireland semi-final since Monaghan in 1979.

Compare that performance to the semi-final in 2003. No aggression, no badness, no fight. No ruthlessness and unusual sentimentality from the management. Wrong team started, too many left on too long, no plan B. Very disappointing outcome. Tyrone guy beside me left at half time.

DickyRock

QuoteTyrone guy beside me left at half time

Should've stayed to the end. I have a huge dislike for people that leave early to beat the traffic. It was hard watching yesterday and we knew it was over fairly early, but these guys have put in some effort every year and despite what the performance was we owe it to them to stay to the end.

stew

Quote from: under the bar on August 27, 2017, 07:13:49 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 27, 2017, 07:06:43 PM
That game ended in 4th minute.I think.Mickey Harte's time is up.Tyrone are as far away.from Sam as ever.

In that case we will just have to settle for being the best in Ulster Tony!    What does todays result say for for Armagh?  😉

Absolutely nothing, we were not playing, come to think of it, neither were Tyrone!  :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Gael85 on August 28, 2017, 12:10:49 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 09:05:34 AM
The lack of intensity from Tyrone yesterday was the most disappointing thing.

The goal for a start was as a result of Sludden overhitting a simple hand pass, Dublin breaking and McNamee making the most pathetic attempt you'd see to stop O'Callaghan. If you look at the contrast with Dublin yesterday, they were hunting in packs, they were checking runs and niggling at their markers, the rare time a man got into a dangerous area he was stopped fairly or unfairly, but he was stopped. There was none of that from Tyrone yesterday which made it all the more disappointing.

Tyrone this year have been retreating back and then hitting teams on the 45 and turning them over, today was disgraceful. Dublin were allowed work the ball into the 30 yard line without a glove on them. Andrews, Rock and Mannion etc were all allowed to win ball in there without a glove laid on them and the lack of pressure applied was baffling. Was it down to tactics of the players afraid of their lives of what Dublin could do to them. Probably a bit of both.

The mentality of the side was all wrong today. The tactics on the Dublin kickouts were disgraceful, when we went to push up on the kickouts we were still leaving a man completely unmarked in a pocket of space between midfield and half back. When you push up on kickouts you have to go man for man on everyone, we didn't - we left one guy free all the time.

Colm Cavanagh battled gallantly, took a few great scores but outside of that it was fairly bleak. A rethink is needed for sure.

In fairness I think McNamee picked up a knock when Paddy Andrews tackled him after a couple minutes into game. Probably wasn't right after that for a few minutes

He came off the pitch totally shell shocked, like a few others he was totally out of his depth in skill and athleticism compared to the Dublin attackers he had to face.  After several years of strengthening and conditioning he has not developed in the same way as his Dublin counterparts while others on the Tyrone squad have become barrelled chested and muscle bound but not a patch on Dublin or Mayo players in terms of athleticism and being able to break the tackle, e.g. McMenaman drove through at least three Tyrone defenders for his crack on goal, they had no answer to him.

DickyRock

As far as Tyrone go. I do find it hard watching the game plan but you do excuse it when you are winning. I'm not sure where we go from here as numerous other have said there are not too many club players that you would draft in which would improve the team. I don't think a change in tactics will see us beating Dublin next year.

It's hard to see how anyone can defeat Dublin at this stage. Maybe Mayo may learn something from yesterday, but it will take a monumental game to beat the Dubs.

stew

I think Mickey Harte should resign but he wont, he has had a tremendous run as manager of Tyrone, three AI's and a slew of Ulsters is a tremendous achievement, his legacy is cemented forever, all of that said he is beginning  to mirror Wegner in that he is dead set in his ways and does not seem to know when to bow out, I hope he bows out on his terms but to be honest, based on his performance on the line yesterday, that might not be the case down the road here.

When things are going wrong with the gameplan, you change the gameplan! What you don't do is sit back and hope the points fairy shows up and hands your lone forward 1-10 whilst the other 14 are scratching their arses in defence.

Tyrone need a fresh approach, the blueprint for playing with Dublin was there for all to see last September, instead of killing games with negativity you need to attack them, use the wide open spaces and use your chances wisely, this defensive shite is dead against the top teams, Tyrone are a great outfit but if ever a manager was hurting his own team MH is hurting his with negativity and yesterday needs to have taught te man a lesson, if not they should get rid of him for his, and the countys good.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

WT4E

Connolly was sh!te - He never got a touch!!!!

Dave like the tv channel

Con O'Callaghan should have been black-carded after his rugby tackle. Andrews - red carded after his tackle, following his yellow.

"Operation Financially Dope & Then Keep Dublin In The Championship" continues.

Man City buy their way into another final. Whoop-dee-doo. Money, money, money. That's why Dublin are where they are and the GAA top brass have a lot to answer for.

Il Bomber Destro

A black card doesn't really effect Dublin, they've an equally as good player on the bench.

Scully avoided a certain black card yesterday for checking a run but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Sportacus

All this spoofing about tactical geniuses - there are no tactical geniuses and there is no need for tactical geniuses, football is a simple game.  Dublin have much superior players in almost every position and worked around the Tyrone defense system very nicely with a couple of simple asks of the players - e.g. don't kick it down Cavanagh's throat when he drops back, move it on fast so Tyrone don't get to gobble up the forward in possession, and be on your toes for the kickout because Cluxton isn't hanging about.  And with the riches he has on the bench, Galvin could have gone to a Plan B very easily with people like O'Gara and McMenamin raring to go.  That's where the real contrast between Galvin and Harte lies - the  current Tyrone style hasn't worked when it comes to the All Ireland crunch and after quite a few years of meticulous planning they have absolutely no Plan B.

The third best team in Ireland is probably the Dublin B team. 

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2017, 11:33:46 AM

It must be a big land for people like Bomber. I imagine. You might see Tyrone winning nothing in Croke Park for 20 years. It is in the range of shite .

Ah no, we'll never drop to the levels that Galway football currently has.
3 minus 9 is negatIve,  Bomber. And there are no Donnellans in Tyrone.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 28, 2017, 11:46:13 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on August 28, 2017, 10:42:33 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 09:05:34 AM
The lack of intensity from Tyrone yesterday was the most disappointing thing.

The goal for a start was as a result of Sludden overhitting a simple hand pass, Dublin breaking and McNamee making the most pathetic attempt you'd see to stop O'Callaghan. If you look at the contrast with Dublin yesterday, they were hunting in packs, they were checking runs and niggling at their markers, the rare time a man got into a dangerous area he was stopped fairly or unfairly, but he was stopped. There was none of that from Tyrone yesterday which made it all the more disappointing.

Tyrone this year have been retreating back and then hitting teams on the 45 and turning them over, today was disgraceful. Dublin were allowed work the ball into the 30 yard line without a glove on them. Andrews, Rock and Mannion etc were all allowed to win ball in there without a glove laid on them and the lack of pressure applied was baffling. Was it down to tactics of the players afraid of their lives of what Dublin could do to them. Probably a bit of both.

The mentality of the side was all wrong today. The tactics on the Dublin kickouts were disgraceful, when we went to push up on the kickouts we were still leaving a man completely unmarked in a pocket of space between midfield and half back. When you push up on kickouts you have to go man for man on everyone, we didn't - we left one guy free all the time.

Colm Cavanagh battled gallantly, took a few great scores but outside of that it was fairly bleak. A rethink is needed for sure.

Good post.

I don't think Dublin are as far ahead as yesterday suggests. Tyrone fell on their own sword, and played into the hands of Dublin, much the same way as Down (Tyrone), Armagh (Tyrone) and Monaghan (Dublin) did.

Handing the current champions that much possession was asking for trouble.

This meant Tyrone were always chasing the game, feeding off sporadic ventures into Dublin's half, and allowing Dublin to build their game.

Chasing a game is more exhaustive than leading or competing in a game; that, for me, is why Tyrone looked sharper than Down, Dublin looked sharper than Tyrone etc.

What disappointed me in the latter matches this year when huge scores were racked up against Down, Armagh, Monaghan and Tyrone was that not once did the management think, this is not working, lets go man to man for ten minutes, see what happens. Or something different.  Instead they stuck to plan A even though it was failing.
I have to hand it to Dublin, their skill and intensity was awesome, but you usually see that when teams are allowed to play and are on top.

I suppose the fact they are going for three in a row marks them out as the team of their generation, but I would like to see their intensity and game management matched in the final, otherwise, it will be a very handy All Ireland they pick up.

If you compare Dublin's approach to a lot of the other sides Tyrone played this year, Dublin had their approach correct in terms of dealing with Tyrone's defence - Dublin's major tactic was simply not to get caught in possession and allow the Tyrone players to employ their swarm tackle where the 2nd/3rd player in help to bottle up the player/force the turn-over.  Dublin simply didn't give Tyrone players the chance to get close enough to stand up the Dublin player and swarm the player in possession - it was relatively easy for Dublin to do this as all they had to do was keep the ball moving. They used the full width of the pitch and were patient enough to wait for gaps to open up. This was why it looked as if Tyrone were chasing shadows in terms of applying pressure - Dublin knew that you can always move the ball faster than a player can move - A lot of the other teams Tyrone came up against had neither the composure/smarts to do this and some were daft enough to do the completely wrong thing - constantly running through the middle, repeatedly taking the ball into contact situations (every time an opposition player comes near enough to tackle there's a possibility of a turnover) Once Tyrone were denied the ability to use their strongest weapon their entire gameplan was always short odds to crumble.

Also in spite of the weakness of the opposition Dublin have played so far in the championship, pretty much all the sides they have faced were using an approach not that dissimilar to Tyrone's approach in terms of having men back and trying to hit them on the counter - the question is will Mayo pose them some difficulties by adopting a more positive approach?

Some of the analysis on this site is superb

rrhf

Never at a Tyrone game before where we were completely  obliterated from the start if not on the scoreboard.
1) I can see the dubs winning the next 5 all Irelands they are that good and young.
2) there is no complacency in them. Super manager and modest ethic. Brilliant fan base and financial muscle to continue at it.
3) Tyrone don't have a system players or short term future that will make a dent on all Ireland semi finals or finals.
4) Tyrone are streets ahead of the rest of Ulster so there should be a few more handy titles to come. This is not a good thing for Tyrone or Ulster football.
5) the super 8s is set up perfectly for the dubs to hit 5 more titles with that team. Try beating them twice.
Come back in 5 years and tell me I'm wrong.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2017, 01:19:06 PM

It must be a big land for people like Bomber. I imagine. You might see Tyrone winning nothing in Croke Park for 20 years. It is in the range of shite .

There's no Championship win in Croke Park in more than 15 years for the Galway footballers either.

As I said when Tyrone fall into the state Galway football is in, I will then consider it a crisis.

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2017, 01:19:06 PM

There's no Championship win in Croke Park in more than 15 years for the Galway footballers either.

As I said when Tyrone fall into the state Galway football is in, I will then consider it a crisis.

It is like saying winter is a crisis, Bomber.
Lets see who wins the next Sam.