Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Christ is there any other sport in the world that obsesses as much about who's analysing in the studio as opposed to what's on the pitch as Gaelic Football?

square_ball

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2019, 11:03:24 PM
Quote from: square_ball on September 14, 2019, 10:59:51 PM
Christ is there any other sport in the world that obsesses as much about who's analysing in the studio as opposed to what's on the pitch as Gaelic Football?
Yes.

Yet to see it.

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2019, 11:19:55 PM
Quote from: square_ball on September 14, 2019, 11:12:04 PM
Yes.

Yet to see it.
Irish soccer - Eamon Dunphy
Irish rugby- George Hook

English/Scottish soccer - Souness, Hansen, Sutton, Green, Gray

People who are or were whinged about due to their commentary/analysis.
No comparison except possibly Dunphy. Both share that platform  where their value to the program was measured in show bizz enigma, contrived controversy and box office value as opposed to actual valuable analysis.

Owen Brannigan

Yes.

Yet to see it.
Irish rugby- George Hook

::)

Anyone on Sky soccer analysis. Do we need to bring up local pundits - Winker Watson, Sidebottom, etc? All on this Board.

tbrick18

Quote from: Main Street on September 15, 2019, 03:12:51 AM
Yes.

Yet to see it.
Irish rugby- George Hook

No comparison except possibly Dunphy. Both share that platform  where their value to the program was measured in show bizz enigma, contrived controversy and box office value as opposed to actual valuable analysis.

Nonsense.
Brolly was rarely far off in terms of analysis. He only said what people thought rather than pontificating the usual dross clichés.
Truth hurts but honest analysis and opinion trumps soundbites and clichés any day.

currychip

Absolutely.  Yesterday's RTE analysis was rubbish. Safe, anodyne contributions may offend no-one but at half-time are only good for providing an opportunity for getting on with dinner preparations, getting the dog out for a walk or ironing a shirt for Monday.  Football is entertainment, not science or politics.  Half time analysis should reflect this.  What a lot of people on here regard as leading edge analysis, eg the Sky offering, is dull.  If all we are going to get at half time is such drabness, thank god I have a dog.

MayoBuck

I'll go back to the Tyrone and Donegal game earlier this summer. I think it was the 1st live football game RTE showed. Brolly must have spent 5 minutes pre match talking about Corofin. Maybe other people enjoy that kind of "entertainment" but i certainly don't. Best decision RTE have made in a long time is getting rid of him.

currychip

Lots of chips on shoulders with the anti Brolly brigade, especially from counties against whom he has had a go, which is quite a few admittedly, including his own.  Wouldn't matter what he did or said.

Main Street

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 15, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
Yes.

Yet to see it.
Irish rugby- George Hook

Nonsense.
Brolly was rarely far off in terms of analysis. He only said what people thought rather than pontificating the usual dross clichés.
Truth hurts but honest analysis and opinion trumps soundbites and clichés any day.
My hole, you've just  used  the two biggest cliches,
"Honest analysis" is the biggest cliche used to defend both Brolly and Dunphy's attention seeking dross.  Another Dunphy Brolly cliche "man of the people", both set themselves up to be the man of the people versus the machine.

BennyCake

Quote from: currychip on September 15, 2019, 06:45:04 PM
Absolutely.  Yesterday's RTE analysis was rubbish. Safe, anodyne contributions may offend no-one but at half-time are only good for providing an opportunity for getting on with dinner preparations, getting the dog out for a walk or ironing a shirt for Monday.  Football is entertainment, not science or politics.  Half time analysis should reflect this.  What a lot of people on here regard as leading edge analysis, eg the Sky offering, is dull.  If all we are going to get at half time is such drabness, thank god I have a dog.

Why would analysis need to offend anyone? Isn't that why Brolly got the boot? Because that's what he did, continually.

currychip

Analysis should add something, e.g. understanding of the game beyond what you could do yourself, not just tell you what you already have perceived. Maybe something outside of the game.  For me, yesterday RTE's analysis was pretty rubbish.  In our house we started listening at half time, then fidgeted and faffed around until the game re-started.  One daughter even started homework.  Other houses might have been riveted.  Ours wasn't .

tbrick18

Quote from: Main Street on September 15, 2019, 07:07:53 PM
Yes.

Yet to see it.
Irish rugby- George Hook

Nonsense.
"Honest analysis" is the biggest cliche used to defend both Brolly and Dunphy's attention seeking dross.  Another Dunphy Brolly cliche "man of the people", both set themselves up to be the man of the people versus the machine.

So let me get this right, instead of "honest analysis" where the pundits say what they actually think you prefer the standard cliche type analysis we saw at the weekend which could have been pre-recorded? Where no-one says anything controversial perhaps about a ref who is having a stinker or a manager who should be gone?

Some people can't separate their personal dislike of someone from what they actually say or do.
I didn't always agree with brolly and yes he went on the odd rant, but at the same time he was telling it as he saw it. It was off the cuff and actually gave a more relevant viewpoint than the blandness of mcstay or whelan.

I suspect rte will lose a few half time viewers in the absence of brolly.

LeoMc

Quote from: currychip on September 15, 2019, 06:45:04 PM

Quote from: currychip on September 15, 2019, 08:53:38 PM
Analysis should add something, e.g. understanding of the game beyond what you could do yourself, not just tell you what you already have perceived. Maybe something outside of the game.  For me, yesterday RTE's analysis was pretty rubbish.  In our house we started listening at half time, then fidgeted and faffed around until the game re-started.  One daughter even started homework.  Other houses might have been riveted.  Ours wasn't .

So do you want analysis or not?

Taylor

Have to say it was pretty 'meh' on RTE at half time. In fact would go so far as to say it was boring.
Recorded the game on Sky and it was much more informative at half time.

On the Saturday Night Game (or whatever to feck it was called) the lads were all in front of a big screen a la Sky however it was still far behind Canavan in terms of info and quality

BennyCake

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 16, 2019, 07:47:09 AM
Quote from: Main Street on September 15, 2019, 07:07:53 PM
Yes.

Yet to see it.
Irish rugby- George Hook

Nonsense.

So let me get this right, instead of "honest analysis" where the pundits say what they actually think you prefer the standard cliche type analysis we saw at the weekend which could have been pre-recorded? Where no-one says anything controversial perhaps about a ref who is having a stinker or a manager who should be gone?

Some people can't separate their personal dislike of someone from what they actually say or do.
I didn't always agree with brolly and yes he went on the odd rant, but at the same time he was telling it as he saw it. It was off the cuff and actually gave a more relevant viewpoint than the blandness of mcstay or whelan.

I suspect rte will lose a few half time viewers in the absence of brolly.

And I suspect they'll gain many more viewers in the absence of Brolly.