Kerry 0-14 Sligo 1-10 - Heartache for Sligo

Started by SLIGONIAN, July 12, 2009, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baoithe

Oh I forgot to mention the ref. From my vantage point he was atrocious and it must be said all the Kerry supporters around me were in agreement. That said, it's our own fault we lost.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2009, 10:09:50 PM
On another note - I heard TV3's coverage was bad and David Brady, even by his considerably high standards, made an absolute w**ker of himself with some of his comments.

Yes i had the misfortune of watching that clown on TV3. The lad finds it difficult to string two sentences - you would have to wonder what kind of interview process was in place to hire him as an analyst. The worst thing about the delay to the start of the game was listening to him for an extra 20 minutes.
Canavan and himself had a disagreement at the end of the game. Brady suggested bizarrely that the penalty should have been kicked over the bar and gave some ridiculous explanation why. Canavan did his best to hide his amusement.

On the game itself. It was there for the taking. Our defence was heroic with many men behind the ball. Unfortunatley we didn't have the composure or long range point takers on the field in the second half against the wind to get over the line. I thought McPartland and Sweeney on earlier would have made a difference in that regard.
A lot to look forward to next year - if we can get Egan, Curran, O'Grady, Quinn back on the panel next year and perhaps promote David Maye we can be very competitive in Connaught next year and regain the title.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on July 20, 2009, 09:29:14 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2009, 10:09:50 PM
On another note - I heard TV3's coverage was bad and David Brady, even by his considerably high standards, made an absolute w**ker of himself with some of his comments.

Yes i had the misfortune of watching that clown on TV3. The lad finds it difficult to string two sentences - you would have to wonder what kind of interview process was in place to hire him as an analyst. The worst thing about the delay to the start of the game was listening to him for an extra 20 minutes.
Canavan and himself had a disagreement at the end of the game. Brady suggested bizarrely that the penalty should have been kicked over the bar and gave some ridiculous explanation why. Canavan did his best to hide his amusement.

On the game itself. It was there for the taking. Our defence was heroic with many men behind the ball. Unfortunatley we didn't have the composure or long range point takers on the field in the second half against the wind to get over the line. I thought McPartland and Sweeney on earlier would have made a difference in that regard.
A lot to look forward to next year - if we can get Egan, Curran, O'Grady, Quinn back on the panel next year and perhaps promote David Maye we can be very competitive in Connaught next year and regain the title.

Whats the story with David Maye, he didnt play for the u21s and I havent heard yet that hes played senior with Curry? I know his development is important for our future but are we holding him back?, look at Kelly wasnt he blooded in 06 as 18 yr old.

O Grady was outstanding for Harps, hope hes back next yr.

I presume the Quinn your on about is Mark Quinn ;), playing great stuff in my club and always has been consistent especially at CHB, no harm getting him involved. Johnny Martyn has to get more of a chance aswell. Colm McGee was outstanding for Tubber last yr, all 3 of those lads are worth developing, jees martyn is a loss, way ahead of mcnamara, kivelhan, naughton IMO for the HB line. Id say Gavin Gilsenan will be involved next yr.

Hopefully McPartland will be involved in the NFL next yr. Egan big loss all right and a pity hes away, Curran has his great days and would in form be worth a place for sure. All those players would strengthen the squad. Id like to see Donnacha Gallagher get more of a run next yr.

I will never agree with anyone who says we dont have the players.

Keep an on the club championship for me. Try not to kill each other.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stew

Sligo were desperately unlucky against Kerry, they had players who absolutely destroyed legends and I have not seen a Sligo team play with that level of committment since 2002. That level of committment will stand them in good stead in the years to come if they can learn from this performance. To say kerry is a shadow of their former selves and that they wouldnt get close to either Tyrone or Dublin is nonsense.

I was very impressed with Sligo and I think that they are very unlucky to be out, Kerry had the rub of the green again but shure isnt that what the good teams do, they always seem to find a way to get the job done. If I was a Sligo supporter i would be gutted, a brilliant opportunity squandered.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

isfeidirlinn

I would agree with the commitment being evident and the unity of purpose similar to 2002. Personally I thought the free flowing nature of Sligo's play, at times, was a la the best snipets of the games against Tyrone and Armagh 7 years ago minus the scoring that is. Anyone would be delighted with David Kelly's performance and I wouldnt doub that when the time comes to write his contribution to Sligo up the miss will be a postscript. Also have to say the photograph of Walsh consoling him and also what the man said after the game shows the inherent decency in the man, it is little wonder that the players responded. I think that with him and the three selectors there could very well be good days ahead again. As for those players coming back like many counties I imagine the real economy/world will take its toll. I remember seeing the programme from last years co final and the ammount of Eastern Harps employed in the construction area was fairly large. Hopefully the majority of the panel will be in a position to stick it out.

All in all a good year, on Sunday's performance I think we might have been a bit off Mayo but hopefully we might end the decade by having doubled the number of nestor cups we've managed to have. As for David Brady, God help us he's a pity. Thought it interesting that Kernan constantly referred to SLigo not going anywhere, Id say he might still have memories of Croke Park and Navan 02. Anyway here's hoping for a good league, maybe promotion, avoid the big two in the early stages of Connacht and sre who knows.  As for the remainder of this year, wouldnt it be chastening for Kerry to admire the semi finals and the final along with their beatiful scenery for company. Hard to look beyond Dublin or Tyrone but time will surely tell.

isfeidirlinn

Just to clarify the Kernan quote. By Sligo not going anywhere he meant they were going to continue to contest the game until the end. God Id hate to offend some of the sensitive souls here.

RedandGreenSniper

Have to say I was sickened that Sligo didn't win because they deserved to do so. David Kelly was outstanding (a definite All Star nomination and if he was on any other line on the field he'd be in with a great shout) and that's what makes the penalty miss all the more unfortunate. He was the best player on the pitch, forced Marc O Se to be taken off but people will recall the penalty miss first. I don't want to be too harsh but if he kept it low against Diarmuid Murphy then it was probably in.
Sligo have proven themselves to be a team of substance though and sickening as it was for them on Saturday, real progres has been made. Division 3 will be a chance for them to continue that upward curve and I wouldn't look forward to Mayo playing them in championship 2010.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

nrico2006

Quotethey are on borrowed time and only for Galvin would be gone. Still demorilised after last September.

I wouldn't say that, Declan O'Sullivan would be more important than Galvin.  I wouldn't mirror their run with Tyrones last year.  I have never seen Kerry as poor amd clueless in a long time and honestly don't think they will be in the shake up this year.  Daveys run for the penalty was amazing, but how the hell did the ref let Griffin stay on the pitch?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnpower

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 21, 2009, 09:58:57 AM
Quotethey are on borrowed time and only for Galvin would be gone. Still demorilised after last September.

I wouldn't say that, Declan O'Sullivan would be more important than Galvin.  I wouldn't mirror their run with Tyrones last year.  I have never seen Kerry as poor amd clueless in a long time and honestly don't think they will be in the shake up this year.  Daveys run for the penalty was amazing, but how the hell did the ref let Griffin stay on the pitch?

What are you referring to ? ???

nrico2006

Was it not Griffin who brought down Davey for the penalty?  Should he not have been sent off for the tackle, it was a certain goal chance and no attempt was made to play the ball.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnpower

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 21, 2009, 03:59:38 PM
Was it not Griffin who brought down Davey for the penalty?  Should he not have been sent off for the tackle, it was a certain goal chance and no attempt was made to play the ball.

Oh perhaps so ,that rule is applied more often in another code rarely see it in GAA .

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWas it not Griffin who brought down Davey for the penalty?  Should he not have been sent off for the tackle, it was a certain goal chance and no attempt was made to play the ball

No, out of picture you would have seen that Kelly was offside so it shouldnt have been a penalty anyway  ::)