Robert Dunlop killed in North West 200

Started by ExiledGael, May 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Hurler on the Bitch

Surely the racing this weekend must now be abandoned. If not... if they can stop people smoking in bars... surely, this madness will stop.

ziggysego

Can only hope that is will be cancelled this year. The right thing to do.
Testing Accessibility

DoYerJob Linesman

RIP Robert.  However, Robert is at peace, it is his family that has to live with the loss and hardship that his death willl bring.

This is not a sport, it is extremely dangerous, and a prolonged suicide if you ask me. These riders are not thinking of ther families when they get up on their bikes.

It should be banned,how many deaths should it take?
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

ONeill

Horrific news and somewhat inevitable.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

the green man

Quote from: Orior on May 15, 2008, 11:42:54 PM
I cant understand why people go to watch this stuff. I love F1 and track motor cycling, but that sport(?) is mad. Why are we made to wear seat belts in cars if people can still ride bikes at speed on the open road?

Thats the thing, every time these boys get on a bike for a race, they know it might be their last. I've relations that raced bikes in the 70's and one that died in the TT in the 80's, I'd never put me arse on a motorbike. But that's were these boys get their fix, their adrenaline rush. Some of us here train our balls of for one championship final, some drink, some take drugs, to get that high. Theses boys get it every time the take the seat on a bike, and they know that this time might be the last. Yes it's dangerous and all, but surely thats the thrill that they get. And that is why they continue to do it.

Hurler on the Bitch

J70

I feel sorry for the man's family, but I can't say I've much sympathy for people who take the kind of crazy risks that these sort of people do, especially a man who has seen his brother killed in identical circumstances.

Tyrones own

Dreadful news, followed both himself and Joey for years, very sad for the family.
RIP Robert
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

saffron sam2

As ONeill says, very sad but something tragically inevitable about it. Robert had used up his luck after the crash at the TT and that should have been enough for him to call it a day.

I am old enough to remember Tom Herron, Frank Kennedy and Brian Hamilton being killed at the NW in 1979 and can remember a steady stream at nearly every major meeting ever since. The time to stop road racing has long since past.

Condolences to the Dunlop family.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

BennyHarp

Terrible, terrible news! I agree with saffron sam - are we losing too many people to this sport - road racing is just too dangerous, if the greatest that ever lived i.e. the dunlops are having fatal accidents - what chance has the average riders??

At least he died doing something he loved! RIP Robert!
That was never a square ball!!

balladmaker

RIP Robert Dunlop, very very sad once again for the Dunlop family.

Hindsight is a great thing, but I always passed the comment that Robert Dunlop would go the same way as Joey.  When you heard Robert being interviewed, it was obvious that racing was like a drug to him, he just couldn't get it out of his blood if he wanted to. 

I don't think the decision as to whether this sport has a future or not should be left with those who partake in it.  It needs to be a decision for the greater community.  The cyclists are too much part of it in my opinion.

The sad thing is that Robert's two sons were also racing this weekend as well.  i hope the death of their father and uncle will make them think seriously about their future in this sport, or we could be hearing of another Dunlop tragedy in years to come.

RIP Robert Dunlop, he appeared to be, like his brother, one of life's gentlemen.

saffron

Sad loss alright condolences to the Dunlop family.

It does seem clear that road racing should be stopped but the people taking part are more than happy to put up with the risks and refuse to consider circuits.

The safety measures are ludicrous - they have the Dundrod one near me and you see them putting bales of hay up against concrete gate posts as if that will make any difference at 120 miles per hour. And does anybody remember Tandragee a few years ago where they decided that a straight was too quick so they put bales of hay in the middle of the road in an effort to get them to slow down, which they didnt, and so it just became twice as dangerous.

Have to say though that you cant but have absolute respect for the guys that do it - even if they are a little suicidal.

Rav67

They should at least have an upper age limit or something, Robert Dunlop was 48.  How can you be expected to control a bike at that speed at that age?

RIP