If all 32 County Manager Jobs were vacant..............who would ye want in?

Started by tyroneman, August 31, 2007, 01:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Well?????????????????

Personally I'd put MH back in place and failing that I'd have Brian McIver in

orangeman

You obviously mean Tyrone ?????

Well there aren't a lot of outstanding candidates within Tyrone presently - Probably you'd be looking at the past under 21 or present minor management to start with - however there are some doubters ( me not being one of them ) -

magpie seanie

I'd put Tommy Breheny back in in Sligo with John Kent as a selector. No question.

SLIGONIAN

Id have mickey Harte anytime for Sligo or John O Mahony. I think our current maangement are lucky rather than good as I ve said before good coaches team in great shape. But tactics way too negative and very poor team selection and slow to make changes or positional switches. Id like seanies opionion on my view? ;). I know from speaking to many sligo gaels their of a similiar mindset. But then again Napoleon did say I dont want a good general I want a lucky one!
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Sligonian - not a great man or used to batting for Mary's men but I'll have a go!

Quotetactics way too negative

Possibly a shade negative but fitted to the teams strengths and weaknesses. We had to play that way I believe with the players at our disposal. Simply we do not have forwards who can win ball, beat their man and score from play in intercounty football. This leaves you 2 options. go out and try to play that way and lose or adapt your tactics to focus on very solid defence and a system of attacking that optimises our chances.

Quotevery poor team selection

Cannot agree. The only cribs I'd have is McNamara at centre back which was overall, in the harsh light of day, a failure, S. Davey playing at all and introducing Doohan too late against Cork. These are minor complaints really. The best players in the county were playing. If there are better out there I haven't seen them.

Quoteslow to make changes or positional switches

Perhaps and there are a couple of times I'd say this was true (Doohan/O'Hara as mentioned above & J. Davey in Connacht final). However, you have to weigh this up against the options available to the managment. To be honest, they were/are limited.

So overall for what we have I wouldn't change it. Mickey Harte is a better manager (I think the best) but would cost a lot. O'Mahoney - did you not see how Mayo did this year? AI final last year. Thumped twice this year yet folk think he's some sort of messiah. He's a TD and would cost a fortune as well as being of dubious quality in my book.

SLIGONIAN

Thanks for your response. Appreciate it. I probably am being a bit harsh alright. I knew you be more objective than myself. I'll stop there because it wouldnt be fair of me to turn a good thread like into a sligo debate. Roll on 08 and retaining the Nestor cup..sligeach abu. ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

In order of preference...

1. Dessie Dolan Senior
2. Sean Boylan
3. Mickey Harte
4. Joe Kernan
5. Jack O'Connor
6. Brian McIver
7. Charlie Mulgrew
Tommy Lyons
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

MaroonAndWhite

Id take Jack O'Connor for Galway. I thought he was unreal down in Kerry considering the pressure that goes with the job down there. Or Joe Kernan....But that an ideal world....nobody but clowns and no-hopers interested in Galway job this time around  >:(

screenexile

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 31, 2007, 02:57:23 PM

1. Dessie Dolan Senior
2. Sean Boylan
3. Mickey Harte
4. Joe Kernan
5. Jack O'Connor
6. Brian McIver
7. Charlie Mulgrew
Tommy Lyons

Good list but I'd have Pillar above Mulgrew and O'Mahoney in there somewhere.

Personally I think Seamus McEneaney is a super manager. Does exactly what he says on the tin, he strikes you as the kind of manager that asks a lot of his players but it's not anything he wouldn't do himself. Along with that he has proven himself to be very tactically astute this year in the way he's played a lot of teams. For the players to have bought into his way of doing things (they've been off the drink pretty much the last 3 years!!) takes leadership and charisma of the highest order and I for one would be happy for him to take Derry!

Captain Scarlet

as a kildare man id still love boylan or big joe.
joe alreday told us to eff off and id say boylan is happy where is with the aul drug dealing on the side.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2007, 03:12:38 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 31, 2007, 02:57:23 PM

1. Dessie Dolan Senior
2. Sean Boylan
3. Mickey Harte
4. Joe Kernan
5. Jack O'Connor
6. Brian McIver
7. Charlie Mulgrew
Tommy Lyons

Good list but I'd have Pillar above Mulgrew and O'Mahoney in there somewhere.

Not a fan of Pillars, wouldn't let him near the shortlist. O'Mahony can blow hot and cold but he wouldn't be far off that list... Agree about Seamus McEneaney from what I've seen so far but he needs to reproduce that next year and the year after and then would he be able to reproduce the passion for another county??? Too many questions to be answered there for me...

Quotejoe alreday told us to eff off and id say boylan is happy where is with the aul drug dealing on the side.

:D :D :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

full back

Wouldnt mind seeing Paidi or Micko over the Orchard County, but only if they would do it for free :o - very little chance of that

BallyhaiseMan

1. Mickey Harte
2. Joe Kiernan
3. Jack O Connor
4. John O Mahony
5. Mick o Dwyer
6. Billy Morgan

lynchbhoy