Greg Blaney at St Biddys???

Started by tyroneman, June 11, 2007, 01:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Although I'm a bit out of touch with the Belfast scene - when did Greg, stalwart of Carryduff, Blaney switch allegiance to St Biddys?

Was the power of the Malone road too much to withstand or was the lure of Antrim football the big one?

I could see it if he moved away outta town but 2-3 miles away???

downgael

Greg Blaney has been involved with St Brigid's Club since it was formed in 1998 - he lives just off the Malone Road and when the club was formed his children joined there local club and so their father got involved

tyroneman

Ah......that makes more sense.

Strange though that he never sent the kids to Carryduff, though I suppose thier friends etc would all be from St Biddys catchment.

Mourne Rover

Tyroneman, Carryduff is not Greg Blaney's home club in the first place. He is from Kircubbin and started off as a hurler with Ballycran. He only began playing for Carryduff when he went to school at St Colman's because Ballycran had no football team at that stage. When Ballycran did field a team, he transfered back there. I'm fairly sure he was registered with Ballycran for at least one of his All Irelands. After he retired as a player, as someone living off the Malone Road, he was always fairly likely to help out with St Brigid's. However, if you ask him, I suspect he will tell you he is still a Down man through and through.