Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I've bought my first Disc brake yoke (12mm thru axle)  as my new Winter bike, having avoided Disc brakes up until now I feel like a total novice again. I was looking at a deal on budget Carbon Disc Wheels as a quick upgrade and Christ was I lost. Seems to be very little standardised with Disc Bikes & wheels?  lots of adaptors required etc... Looks like a bit of a minefield.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on May 15, 2020, 09:34:24 AM
I've bought my first Disc brake yoke (12mm thru axle)  as my new Winter bike, having avoided Disc brakes up until now I feel like a total novice again. I was looking at a deal on budget Carbon Disc Wheels as a quick upgrade and Christ was I lost. Seems to be very little standardised with Disc Bikes & wheels?  lots of adaptors required etc... Looks like a bit of a minefield.

Definitely a minefield and it takes a bit more maintenance with the disc brakes. I am useless at bike mechanic type stuff at the best of times as well. I like them in the winter though, whenever it rains at least you know you'll get the bike stopped.

illdecide

I'm riding my first disc brake bike (last 6 weeks), one piece of advice is take wheel off whilst cleaning/oiling the chain. One spec of petrol or oil etc near the disc is a disaster. I cleaned my chain last week with petrol and then oiled afterwards, everything went great (so i thought) and brakes worked perfect but was caught out last week in the rain and when the discs are wet they squealed like mad (so loud) due to the small splash of petrol/oil that i didn't know had contaminated the disc/pads.
Good luck with it BennyD
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

What did you go for?

bennydorano

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on May 15, 2020, 03:54:01 PM
Trek Emonda ALR5 - Aluminium (Purple Flip version), with 105

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trek-emonda-alr-5-disc-purple-flip.html

Very nice, good luck and health to enjoy it.
Too good for a winter hack !

illdecide

Did any of you buy tickets for the "Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0" from www.grandtourcompetitions.com

£9.99 for an entry into the bike, I believe it's being drawn tomorrow. Would be a lovely bike to win alright although I've just bought a lovely bike so prob would be wasted on me. Although as a cyclist you can never own enough bikes ;D.

P.S. not promoting this either, don't care if you buy or not...just curious if any of you had entered?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Quote from: illdecide on May 15, 2020, 10:16:36 AM

I'm riding my first disc brake bike (last 6 weeks), one piece of advice is take wheel off whilst cleaning/oiling the chain. One spec of petrol or oil etc near the disc is a disaster. I cleaned my chain last week with petrol and then oiled afterwards, everything went great (so i thought) and brakes worked perfect but was caught out last week in the rain and when the discs are wet they squealed like mad (so loud) due to the small splash of petrol/oil that i didn't know had contaminated the disc/pads.
Good luck with it BennyD

It may not be the oil, could be just all the muck/grime splashed up fron the road. I use a little brake disc cleaner on the disc and pads. If the pads have been badly contaminated by oil you can even try sanding them a little if they are metal. The resin pads are basically toast if they get contaminated by oil/brake fluid. At £18 a pop its an expensive mistake

grounded

Definitely a lot more fiddling around with the setup with disc brakes. For instance, swapping a new set of wheels in, will probably mean adjusting the disc caliper alignment.

bennydorano

Cheers, good to know, think I'll hold fire on any upgrades for a while.

laoislad

Trying to convince my young lad who is 6 to take off the stabilisers on his bike but he is very nervous about me doing it.
Any tips on getting him riding without them?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

quit yo jibbajabba

Cant claim any credit but our old childminder had a slope on her garden we arrived one day and one boy had learned to ride a bike going down it with similar result for the other boy a few days later if thats any use at all lol. Basically take them off and go down a (grass) hill probably assisting them for the first lock o times

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 16, 2020, 07:33:05 PM
Trying to convince my young lad who is 6 to take off the stabilisers on his bike but he is very nervous about me doing it.
I think with our I just held onto the saddle for a while to reassure whilst they peddle away. Eventually they'll peddle away without knowing you've let go of the saddle. There might be the odd spill but if you can get him back at it not falling is a good incentive to learn.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Might be too late but the balance bikes are great job. Only discovered thrm with my youngest. She's still only 3 and still on it but I think she might go straight to pedals from that. The oldest 2 took a while with stabilisers. I used to hold onto back of seat, then give thrm good push to get up speed, thry get the balance better then. Anyone recommend a good seat to hook onto hybrid bike for 3 year old?

screenexile

If you have a bike without stabilisers that fits take off the pedals and get him to use it as a balance bike for a while getting speed up and lifting his legs off the ground then. Once he gets the hang of the balance he can pedal already so he should be grand.

We did it with my eldest at 4 and within an hour and a half we had the pedals back on and she was fine by herself a couple of spills but she pretty much had it. Going downhill is a great help as talked about before.

It shouldn't take him too long.