Moving to Canada

Started by stiffler, January 10, 2009, 03:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Does anyone know is there a visa required for an irish passport holder to move to canada to work?

I have heard reports that a similar working holiday visa as australia is required....if so, is there any limit to the length of time you spend in the country or the length of time you work for the one employer?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

doire na raithe

Are you a student or recent graduate?

stiffler

Its for a work colleague who is thinking of heading over. Graduate.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

J70

I would have thought checking their government websites would be the obvious first stop:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Visas and Immigration - Canadian Embassy in Ireland
http://geo.international.gc.ca/canada-europa/ireland/embassy/advice_about_visas_and_immigration-en.aspx

Temporary Residency
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/site_map_nonimmigrant.htm

armaghniac

QuoteDoes anyone know is there a visa required for an irish passport holder to move to canada to work?

Of course there is!

bring your woolly underwear!! 

Winnipeg, CA (Airport)
Updated: 55 min 23 sec ago
Mostly Cloudy    -17 °C
Windchill:    -26 °C
Humidity:    72%
Dew Point:    -21 °C
Wind:    17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the South
Pressure:    1021 hPa (Falling)
Visibility:    24.1 kilometers
UV:    0 out of 16
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Real Laoislad

PM Gab Hurl he lives out there
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Family guy

Am thinking of heading 2 canada in the not to distant future as running outa work soon and doesnt seem to be much about,have been lucky to be busy for so long i guess,just wondering where would be the best places to go in canda and any advice really would be great

Gabriel_Hurl

Lads - will get back to you in the morning.

The news mightn't be too great for people planning on coming out though.

Gabriel_Hurl

The Canadian Government are no longer issuing the one year under-35 working visa to Irish people

Derry Dolly

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 06, 2010, 09:48:41 PM
The Canadian Government are no longer issuing the one year under-35 working visa to Irish people

do you know why this is? or does anyone else know? was thinking of going for a while myself  ???

screenexile

Still haven't decided myself if I'll ever head out there or not, I think I would like to go to Torontro for a year just for a change and to experience it but then it would depend on a lot of things I guess, lucky for me I was born there and can go to work there if I choose to.

I reckon the girlfriend would like to go too but if they have pulled the Under 35 Visa's then I'd say it's a no go. Is there talk of them ever coming back Gabe or is that it, and if you had a British Passport would the situation be different?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Derry Dolly on October 07, 2010, 11:39:20 AM

do you know why this is? or does anyone else know? was thinking of going for a while myself  ???

USIT said they are not happy about the amount of people trying to extend the U-35  Work Permit.

Your aren't supposed to be able to.

Derry Dolly

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 07, 2010, 02:28:31 PM
Quote from: Derry Dolly on October 07, 2010, 11:39:20 AM

USIT said they are not happy about the amount of people trying to extend the U-35  Work Permit.

Your aren't supposed to be able to.

thats a bit strange, surely they would just state at the beginning that it only applies for 12months.end of.  ???
are you out there on a working holiday visa or did you get a visa? (sorry to be nosey lol) do you like it?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Derry Dolly on October 07, 2010, 03:10:34 PMthats a bit strange, surely they would just state at the beginning that it only applies for 12months.end of.  ???

It does state that alright

Quote from: Derry Dolly on October 07, 2010, 03:10:34 PMare you out there on a working holiday visa or did you get a visa? (sorry to be nosey lol) do you like it?

Originally I came out here on a 1 year visa on the BUNAC Work Canada program

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

Then when I got here - my employers sponsored me to stay here - and I've just been getting rolling work visas since then.

I have applied for my permanent residence now - and I'm waiting on that being approved