Republic of Ireland

Started by Rossfan, April 18, 2016, 08:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I believe the 26 Cos officially became a Republic and also left the British "Commonwealth" on 18th April 1949.

PS it stopped being the " Free State" 11 or 12 years previously.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2016, 08:24:04 PM
I believe the 26 Cos officially became a Republic and also left the British "Commonwealth" on 18th April 1949.

PS it stopped being the " Free State" 11 or 12 years previously.

Sensitive little soul that you are +1

You'll always be a free stater to me.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

armaghniac

Windscale became Sellafield, but it is still a danger to health.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Was it not at the adoption of the constitution?

Countries like India are in the commonwealth but the queen is not the head of state.

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 19, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Countries like India are in the commonwealth but the queen is not the head of state.
Eilis 2 is head of state of NZ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Dev wrote the British monarchy out if the Constitution but didn't use the word Republic in it even though it brought in the office of President.
The State officially became a  Republic and formally left the British Commonwealth in 1949.
I believe foreign  Embassies in Dublin were "Legations" before 1949. Presumably ambassadors (or whatever title they had then) had to present their credentials at Buckingham Palace before proceeding to Dublin??

Shamrock Shore

The rumour at the time in 1949 was that John A. Costello, the Teashop, was in Canada at a meeting with the Canadian PM and at the official dinner whereas they had a toast to King George V there was no toast to President Sean T. O'Kelly.

Costello, kinda half sorted jarred, took umbrage, declared a republic over the petit fours and the rest is history.

Rossfan

I also heard that Clann na Poblachta ( "Take 3" converts from physical force republicanism) who were part of the Inter Party Govt wanted to leave their mark by getting the term Republic into being.

guy crouchback

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 19, 2016, 10:37:11 AM
The rumour at the time in 1949 was that John A. Costello, the Teashop, was in Canada at a meeting with the Canadian PM and at the official dinner whereas they had a toast to King George V there was no toast to President Sean T. O'Kelly.

Costello, kinda half sorted jarred, took umbrage, declared a republic over the petit fours and the rest is history.

so the story goes, on top of that the center piece on the table at said banquet was a silver model of a canon called roaring meg that was used at either the siege of Derry or the battle of the Boyne ( i cant recall exactly but i'm 90% it was Derry) this further infuriated costello.

Hardy

Orangeism has always been very strong in Canada and parts of the country, until relatively recent times, were not unlike the pre-troubles six counties, with order members predominating in public office, etc.

muppet

The 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty was the first time 'The British Empire' was replaced by 'British Commonwealth of Nations' in Official Britain.

The term first received imperial statutory recognition in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921, when the term British Commonwealth of Nations was substituted for British Empire in the wording of the oath taken by members of parliament of the Irish Free State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2016, 09:31:48 AM

Dev wrote the British monarchy out if the Constitution but didn't use the word Republic in it even though it brought in the office of President.
The State officially became a  Republic and formally left the British Commonwealth in 1949.
I believe foreign  Embassies in Dublin were "Legations" before 1949. Presumably ambassadors (or whatever title they had then) had to present their credentials at Buckingham Palace before proceeding to Dublin??

I often wonder why? Was it in the hope that partition would be ended in or around that time I wonder?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.