Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

His name is being widely circulated on news channels which seems premature given the fact that he has not been charged. We don't even know what his part was in a likely case of human trafficking or if indeed he was even aware of what was in the back of the trailer. I severely doubt if a lone haulier was behind this exploitation of 39 people for profit in what is an horrendous loss of life.   

Ambrose

Terrible tragedy and obviously the young man shouldn't have been named, he is after all entitled to the presumption of innocence, however people trying to make a political point, especially those in the public eye, really do need to think before they post inflammatory material.

QuoteLord John Kilclooney @KilclooneyJohn
The tragedy of 39 persons being killed in a lorry in Essex is terrible. It is now confirmed that the Bulgarian Registered lorry is owned by a person in the Republic of Ireland and, although the driver comes from NI, he may well have opted for RoI Passport to ease travel via EU!
You can't live off history and tradition forever

yellowcard

Quote from: Ambrose on October 23, 2019, 06:20:25 PM
Terrible tragedy and obviously the young man shouldn't have been named, he is after all entitled to the presumption of innocence, however people trying to make a political point, especially those in the public eye, really do need to think before they post inflammatory material.

QuoteLord John Kilclooney @KilclooneyJohn
The tragedy of 39 persons being killed in a lorry in Essex is terrible. It is now confirmed that the Bulgarian Registered lorry is owned by a person in the Republic of Ireland and, although the driver comes from NI, he may well have opted for RoI Passport to ease travel via EU!

John Taylor is another bitter former unionist leader. Those comments say more about him and his anti Irishness than anything. Whilst his comments even make a lot of sense, it appears that he is trying to make a political point out of a terrible human tragedy.     

David McKeown

I understand the arguments for not naming him but I can see and agree with the reasons for naming him as well. Over here we can't name until they've appeared in court once so it's a bit earlier. Like BCB I can't understand the murder suggestion. Also it was reported earlier in a few reputable places he had been charged with murder which baffles me. A murder charge requires an intention to kill or cause serious bodily injury. Police have to know this. I would like to know how they would have reasonable suspicion of that.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

From the sounds of things so far, Robinson picked up the trailer and was pulled over shortly after.

Unless they establish some other connection or involvement, it doesn't sound like he could have had anything to do with it.

Dire Ear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-50154673
Indian police have hailed the arrest of a notorious suspected poacher who they say killed sloth bears and ate their penises as a "very important catch"

MoChara

Quote from: Dire Ear on October 24, 2019, 07:02:29 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-50154673
Indian police have hailed the arrest of a notorious suspected poacher who they say killed sloth bears and ate their penises as a "very important catch"

I don't know what I expected him to look like but it was the fella int he photo lol

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: J70 on October 23, 2019, 07:32:37 PM
From the sounds of things so far, Robinson picked up the trailer and was pulled over shortly after.

Unless they establish some other connection or involvement, it doesn't sound like he could have had anything to do with it.

What has happened to innocent to proven guilty. Public and media are all too keen these days to be judge, jury and executor. The trailer came in off a boat from the continent and he had driven down from Holyhead to collect it. Any trailer or container shipped like across countries would have been fitted with seals. The driver would never know what is in the back of the trailer other than what is written on the paperwork and wouldn't be allowed to break the seals to open the doors until it gets to its destination. Let the relevant authorities carry out their investigations.

Not forgetting those poor people in the back - RIP. Doesn't bear to think about what they went through or what they were escaping from than made them so desperate to do this. As for the sick baxtards that took money off these people and put them into an airtight fridge container knowing they would have no chance - I hope they get all that is coming to them. A jail sentence is too good for them. 

trailer

The authorities who made the discovery was the Ambulance service. It is unclear who called them.
Few questions. Why was the lorry stopped where it was? Why would you stop there and open the back doors? 15 mins from the port? Surely that's not the destination in the middle of a road? You wouldn't normally open the doors until you'd reached the destination. These questions all point to one thing. I heard on the radio this morning that people who work in the industrial estate have seen people jumping from the back of lorries in that area before.

If Robinson knows the truth I would hope he'd fess up so these people traffickers can face justice. This is mass murder.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: trailer on October 24, 2019, 10:35:57 AM
The authorities who made the discovery was the Ambulance service. It is unclear who called them.
Few questions. Why was the lorry stopped where it was? Why would you stop there and open the back doors? 15 mins from the port? Surely that's not the destination in the middle of a road? You wouldn't normally open the doors until you'd reached the destination. These questions all point to one thing. I heard on the radio this morning that people who work in the industrial estate have seen people jumping from the back of lorries in that area before.

If Robinson knows the truth I would hope he'd fess up so these people traffickers can face justice. This is mass murder.

My guess on it is that I think he has done this before.  I'd say the MO was that he would pick up the trailer like you said with the proper paperwork,  people paid along the way to let the truck through,  they would go to an agreed drop off point like an industrial estate and the 'passengers' would disembark and go on their way.  The lorry would then go to it's final destination. 

I think that when the driver got to the drop off point he realised the reality and that's when he called the ambulance services.  He should not have been named but i do not believe that he was a complete unwitting innocent in this either.

GetOverTheBar

Talk is that the driver himself called the Ambulance etc.

On the second point, perhaps someone in the haulage industry could explain - maybe an alarm went off about the temperature or something? I was under the impression if it's a certain type of cargo you can't open it.

trailer

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 24, 2019, 10:58:42 AM

My guess on it is that I think he has done this before.  I'd say the MO was that he would pick up the trailer like you said with the proper paperwork,  people paid along the way to let the truck through,  they would go to an agreed drop off point like an industrial estate and the 'passengers' would disembark and go on their way.  The lorry would then go to it's final destination. 

I think that when the driver got to the drop off point he realised the reality and that's when he called the ambulance services.  He should not have been named but i do not believe that he was a complete unwitting innocent in this either.

I'd say Mo knows the score. Ironic he probably drove around the country hoping everyone would see him and his lorry. Now he probably wishes know one knows who he is.
His Facebook page would've got some hits yesterday. Lesson there on privacy as well.

LeoMc

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 24, 2019, 09:23:53 AM
Quote from: J70 on October 23, 2019, 07:32:37 PM

What has happened to innocent to proven guilty. Public and media are all too keen these days to be judge, jury and executor. The trailer came in off a boat from the continent and he had driven down from Holyhead to collect it. Any trailer or container shipped like across countries would have been fitted with seals. The driver would never know what is in the back of the trailer other than what is written on the paperwork and wouldn't be allowed to break the seals to open the doors until it gets to its destination. Let the relevant authorities carry out their investigations.

Not forgetting those poor people in the back - RIP. Doesn't bear to think about what they went through or what they were escaping from than made them so desperate to do this. As for the sick baxtards that took money off these people and put them into an airtight fridge container knowing they would have no chance - I hope they get all that is coming to them. A jail sentence is too good for them.

He should not have been named and he is Innocent until proven guilty.
I have seen the above argument made for him but it does not stack up with him pulling into a Industrial estate 15 minutes away to open the trailer up.

under the bar

Even *if* the lad did accept a few quid to collect the trailer at the docks and open it in the estate to let immigrants/asylum seekers out, it in no way makes him culpable for their deaths. That lies squarely with whoever locked them in the trailer with no means of survival or escape, accident or not.