Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Thinking of tackling the Causeway Coast Sportive in Sept. Would need to get more hill training in before I sign up to it though. Have my eye on Wicklow 200 if I was able to do the Causeway Coast.

Would love to do the Castlewellan and Dublin triathlons as well but I am working hard to get my swimming up to scratch before I tackle that!!

bennydorano

I've done 2 Wicklows, was meant to do Causeway last year but was injured at the time, but fellas i know who did both thought the Causeway was tougher, shorter yes, but the climbing is meant to be fiercer.

I wouldn't be taking it lightly Jim, Torr Head is meant to be some beast of a climb.

Milltown Row2

Letterkenny this Saturday. Near Churchill Jim.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on July 10, 2013, 08:26:49 PM
I've done 2 Wicklows, was meant to do Causeway last year but was injured at the time, but fellas i know who did both thought the Causeway was tougher, shorter yes, but the climbing is meant to be fiercer.

I wouldn't be taking it lightly Jim, Torr Head is meant to be some beast of a climb.

I have heard it is serious!! That's why I havent committed to it yet, need to see how the training goes before now and then. Im off over the summer so hope to get a good bit of training in. I did the Maracycle there a few weeks back and it wasnt too bad at all. No real climbs on it that are challenging, just took our time and plenty of stops along the way. A fella who nearly died with cancer about 2 years ago completed with us, some going!!

What sportives have you planned to do then?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2013, 09:57:43 PM

Good stuff Milltown, have a look at Castlewellan at end of august. looks good.

bennydorano

Not sure, just back from holidays so my post wicklow conditioning is gone! If weather is ok I'll probably do the Causeway myself, bar that dunno, might do the lap of the lough, events have conspired against me were it's concerned and I've never actually done it. The Innishowen 100 is another tough one in the middle of August, google Mamore Gap it's another beast apparently.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on July 10, 2013, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 10, 2013, 08:26:49 PM

I have heard it is serious!! That's why I havent committed to it yet, need to see how the training goes before now and then. Im off over the summer so hope to get a good bit of training in. I did the Maracycle there a few weeks back and it wasnt too bad at all. No real climbs on it that are challenging, just took our time and plenty of stops along the way. A fella who nearly died with cancer about 2 years ago completed with us, some going!!

What sportives have you planned to do then?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2013, 09:57:43 PM

Good stuff Milltown, have a look at Castlewellan at end of august. looks good.
Torr Head is brutal in a car! Assuming you approach from Cushendun hurling pitch it isn't one long climb onto the flat, there are a good few peaks and troughs beforeyou reach the road to Ballycastle. Keen boys.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on July 10, 2013, 10:47:04 PM
Not sure, just back from holidays so my post wicklow conditioning is gone! If weather is ok I'll probably do the Causeway myself, bar that dunno, might do the lap of the lough, events have conspired against me were it's concerned and I've never actually done it. The Innishowen 100 is another tough one in the middle of August, google Mamore Gap it's another beast apparently.

Im doing lap the lough with a few friends but will just do it for a bit of craic and stay at their pace. I am thinking about going around the lough on Friday actually. Handy enough spin hill wise, that bit from randalstown to toome would be the hardest. Mid August is ruled out for any races for me as I will only be back from holidays at that stage!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on July 10, 2013, 11:15:32 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 10, 2013, 10:47:04 PM

Im doing lap the lough with a few friends but will just do it for a bit of craic and stay at their pace. I am thinking about going around the lough on Friday actually. Handy enough spin hill wise, that bit from randalstown to toome would be the hardest. Mid August is ruled out for any races for me as I will only be back from holidays at that stage!

sent pm jim
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 10, 2013, 04:34:31 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 01:03:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2013, 12:37:56 PM
I've always used the old style toe clips, and touch wood I've never had a problem.

I dont fancy the twist ones - it means having to buy expensive shoes. Are they much better?

Also, after about 30-35 mile last Sunday my energy levels plummeted. I was drinking lucozade sport cherry flavour. Should I also be taking a banana or chocolate bar at 20 mile?

The old style clips i find are actually harder to use. I use Look pedals now and find them sound. You can get a pair of shoes for about £50, there is a world of difference between pedalling in cycling shoes and trainers. But the main thing is suppose is getting out there and enjoying it and being comfortable in whatever you choose. Its a long time from Paddy Crilly used to nail my cleats to my shoes in his old cobblers shop.

Is there though? What difference does it make?
I see lads out on the road when I'm cycling dressed like they are in the Tour de France with all the gear on them and I am keeping up to most and passing others with a pair of football shorts,t-shirt and a pair of runners on me.
They remind me of the fella on the Golf course dressed head to toe in Tiger Woods or whoever branded gear and spends half an hour lining up a two foot putt.
Unless you are competing in races/triathlons etc does it really make a difference what you wear when you are out cycling?
I don't think so.

I know what you are saying but i would be more concerned about the lads spending 2k on a bike to do 10 mile spins once a week rather than those that want to get kitted out properly. The idea of the clip in shoe is that its held in the one position and that the right part of your foot is over the centre of the pedal. The sole of the cycling shoe being much harder than a trainer will transform the energy and effort you put in to pedalling more effectively than a spongy trainer will. Also on a long enough ride chances are your foot will eventually get sore if in trainers. But if its not bothering you tear away as you are.
And here is the argument against clip ins.
http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=376&subjectId=9

maddog

Quote from: LeoMc on July 12, 2013, 12:21:16 AM
Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 10, 2013, 04:34:31 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 01:03:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2013, 12:37:56 PM
I've always used the old style toe clips, and touch wood I've never had a problem.

I dont fancy the twist ones - it means having to buy expensive shoes. Are they much better?

Also, after about 30-35 mile last Sunday my energy levels plummeted. I was drinking lucozade sport cherry flavour. Should I also be taking a banana or chocolate bar at 20 mile?

The old style clips i find are actually harder to use. I use Look pedals now and find them sound. You can get a pair of shoes for about £50, there is a world of difference between pedalling in cycling shoes and trainers. But the main thing is suppose is getting out there and enjoying it and being comfortable in whatever you choose. Its a long time from Paddy Crilly used to nail my cleats to my shoes in his old cobblers shop.

Is there though? What difference does it make?
I see lads out on the road when I'm cycling dressed like they are in the Tour de France with all the gear on them and I am keeping up to most and passing others with a pair of football shorts,t-shirt and a pair of runners on me.
They remind me of the fella on the Golf course dressed head to toe in Tiger Woods or whoever branded gear and spends half an hour lining up a two foot putt.
Unless you are competing in races/triathlons etc does it really make a difference what you wear when you are out cycling?
I don't think so.

I know what you are saying but i would be more concerned about the lads spending 2k on a bike to do 10 mile spins once a week rather than those that want to get kitted out properly. The idea of the clip in shoe is that its held in the one position and that the right part of your foot is over the centre of the pedal. The sole of the cycling shoe being much harder than a trainer will transform the energy and effort you put in to pedalling more effectively than a spongy trainer will. Also on a long enough ride chances are your foot will eventually get sore if in trainers. But if its not bothering you tear away as you are.
And here is the argument against clip ins.
http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=376&subjectId=9

It is everyones personal preference but i have yet to come across anyone that doesnt prefer clip ins once they have got used to them.

A good compromise  is the shimano double sided pedal which is good for getting away from traffic lights etc as you can use the flat side to get the speed up and then clip in.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/shimano-pd-m324-pedals

Milltown Row2

I'm still a novice on the bike but looking to better times, still think I've a lot to learn regarding getting in the right gear for the type of road, i.e gradient. Is there a chart out there for best gear to be in on the roads?

laoislad

What's the craic with cycling on motorways in Ireland? I had to drive down to Portlaoise today from Lucan and there was a fella cycling on the hard shoulder of the M7. I didn't think cyclists were allowed on motorways.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

You're not allowed on motorways, any chance it was just a dualler? I've been blown out of it by cars for cycling on the N4 down past Lucan, before it becomes a motorway.

On the pedals, theres no comparison.
Firstly safety, high speed crash you'll automatically clip out, the cages are a death trap because you're stuck in them.
Secondly just ur power output, one of the first things you do on a turbo trainer is one leg exercises, to try and smooth out ur stroke so that u apply power equally through the 360 degrees, a clip in pedal allows u do this, essentially pull up with ur much larger hamstring muscle. with cages ur foot is coming away from the pedal and lifting the plastic, out of position.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

JimStynes

103 mile done today. 4,724 feet of climbing going by strava. Spelga Dam for the first time today! it's a bollox! Pissed down on us for the last 40 odd mile.

gerry

Some cycling and climbing on a piss poor day. Where you checking out the route for the giro next may
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,