Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Anyone ever left their bike in to get serviced? Where's best place to get this done? Mine is not an expensive bike so wouldn't want to spend too much on it to be honest. How much would a service usually cost?

gerry

If you are on O2 and sign up to O2 moments you can get a free service with halfords until the end of June.  They check and adjust brakes and gears.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Last Man

Quote from: gerry on June 20, 2013, 01:29:11 PM
If you are on O2 and sign up to O2 moments you can get a free service with halfords until the end of June.  They check and adjust brakes and gears.
They wouldnt come highly recommended, I'd go to a local independent who's more protective of their reputation. No more 25quid should cover it.

RealSpiritof98

Cookson on a twitter Q&A as he running for UCI pres and Armatrong comes in with this

QuoteQuestion for @cooksonforuci - any plans to convene a Truth and Rec Commission  to FULLY understand the mistakes of previous

Would be interested to see if Armstrong fully participated in such an event

bennydorano

A service can vary wildly depending on the state of ur bike, if u need new cables, chain, cassette or brakepads ur £50+ straight away. I've yet to see a £25 service, but i wouldn't leave a bike into a shop for minor stuff. Halfords can be very hit & miss with servicing, not even sure they put their bike mechanics through the Cytec qualification.

If you know a regular (amenable) cyclist with 10/15 years experience they'll likely be well fit to service a bike for you.

Maguire01

Quote from: Last Man on June 20, 2013, 03:38:22 PM
Quote from: gerry on June 20, 2013, 01:29:11 PM
They wouldnt come highly recommended, I'd go to a local independent who's more protective of their reputation. No more 25quid should cover it.
I wouldn't use Halfords for a service either - and I have the O2 offer.

Tony Baloney

Cycleology in Armagh are apparently decent and not expensive.

Nally Stand

Whats the best option for buying a bike lads, in around £300-£400 range...a new bike or a higher spec but second hand bike? Any good sites online for second hand ones? Thanks!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Count 10

If it is a road bike you are after you can pick up a decent new one at Halfords....the Carrera Virtuoso is a great bike for the money

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165710_langId_-1?cm_re=Category+Pages-_-Under+the+fold-_-road

gumtree you may get a better second hand one but make sure you have the right frame size etc when buying.

laoislad

Quote from: Count 10 on June 21, 2013, 06:12:07 AM
If it is a road bike you are after you can pick up a decent new one at Halfords....the Carrera Virtuoso is a great bike for the money

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165710_langId_-1?cm_re=Category+Pages-_-Under+the+fold-_-road

gumtree you may get a better second hand one but make sure you have the right frame size etc when buying.

Bought this a few weeks ago. Great bike.
Doing between 10-15 miles a night since I got it. Was 13 stone 9 when I started and am now down to 12 stone 8.

Feeling great.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Nally Stand

Have been looking at that one alright. Is there much difference in having carbon forks or not?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

take_yer_points

Quote from: Mickey Linden on June 19, 2013, 10:44:39 PM
Anyone ever left their bike in to get serviced? Where's best place to get this done? Mine is not an expensive bike so wouldn't want to spend too much on it to be honest. How much would a service usually cost?

A few years back there was a fella in Belfast (Lawrence Street, off University Street) who taught you how to service your bike. You could book a Saturday morning and he'd show you how to do it but you would do all the work. I'm not sure of the price or if he's still there but always thought that was a great idea

Milltown Row2

Tried the clip on shoes for the bike there today, fell off twice in the garden trying to get the f**kers off!!!! A bloody nuisance was able to clip them off but fall off on the other side lol!! I've a race on Saturday but will use the cages instead until I become more competent!!

Any best tips to fixing such problems?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2013, 10:38:17 PM
Tried the clip on shoes for the bike there today, fell off twice in the garden trying to get the f**kers off!!!! A bloody nuisance was able to clip them off but fall off on the other side lol!! I've a race on Saturday but will use the cages instead until I become more competent!!

It's easier to practice using them on the road. The garden doesn't give you much time to twist your foot. Unless you practice by holding onto the wall and twisting your outside foot.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on July 09, 2013, 11:00:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2013, 10:38:17 PM

It's easier to practice using them on the road. The garden doesn't give you much time to twist your foot. Unless you practice by holding onto the wall and twisting your outside foot.

The road is harder to fall on!! But you're right will give it a bash next week, kids were laughing as I just fell over, here in doors was loving it!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea