Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Kennedy

Seeking a bit of advice on the cycling front here guys.
I currently have a mountain bike and have it to go on any forest, dirt or mountain tracks. I have recently decided to take it out on the road and would at least do at least 10-20 miles at most at the weekend.
I was advised probably better getting a set of hybrid tyres on the bike as they are better on the road. Is this true?

Now would I be better just getting an extra set of wheels with hybrid tyres and change them myself and at least if I wanted to go on any forest, dirt or mountain tracks I could just change them over.

Also where is the best place to get these wheels?
Where is the best place to get a set of mud flaps fitted and a drink holder fitted and more importantly at what cost?

Groucho

Quote from: bennydorano on December 11, 2011, 07:20:42 PM
Hit the deck today for the first time, that would put manners on you :-[ Not my fault - 2 fellas in front came down and I went into the back of one of them, sommersaulting hoogerland style over them, coming out of the clipless pedals mid air and landing on my side, wasn't too bad at the time (felt a bit sick for a couple of minutes) hip & elbow getting worse as the hours pass.  An oul doll was right behind us in her car, the look on her face was priceless.

OK .....you can count the paper clips tomorrow!! :D
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

bennydorano

Sounds like a messing match.  You might be safer picking up a cyclocross bike, can do ur off roading & would be a decent 'winter' road trainer

Groucho

Quote from: bennydorano on December 11, 2011, 08:34:31 PM
Sounds like a messing match.  You might be safer picking up a cyclocross bike, can do ur off roading & would be a decent 'winter' road trainer

Ok just look after the staples then!! :D
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Orior

I've never had that experience Bennydorano.

What is you first instinct? Is it to get your feet out from the toe clips?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Karl Kennedy

you reckon its a messing match? too much hassle?

bennydorano

I departed from the clipless pedals mid-air & it wasn't planned, momentum did it, we had been horsing it on too, but had luckily enuff slacked off a bit on impact, prob bout 16/17mph.

My first instinct was to get off the road, then there was a quick realisation the bike was in a heap & could get flattened, then i took off helmet & some layers cos i thought i was goin 2 vomit - a kick in the nuts/ hitting funny bone type feeling.

bennydorano

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on December 11, 2011, 09:22:54 PM

I know nothin about MB's but Hybrid  tyres are generally thinner - more like road tyres than MB tyres, would hardly be a straight swop? But if it was a straight swop it would definitely by a better tyre option on the road. With alternate wheels - will gearing need adjusted on every change? Brakes as well?

I would go to a local bike shop for some advice.

gerry

i fell of twice this year. the first one when i was riding across the beach in rossnowlagh in front of cars and walkers, very embarrising.  the second time was on a steep climb and i was out of the seat  climbing when the back wheel slipped on gravel and i keeled over with me still clipped in.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Orior

Quote from: gerry on December 11, 2011, 09:50:03 PM
i fell of twice this year. the first one when i was riding across the beach in rossnowlagh in front of cars and walkers, very embarrising.  the second time was on a steep climb and i was out of the seat  climbing when the back wheel slipped on gravel and i keeled over with me still clipped in.

Did your front wheel sink in the sand? Geez, I wish I had seen that, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

maddog

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on December 11, 2011, 08:16:05 PM
I currently have a mountain bike and have it to go on any forest, dirt or mountain tracks. I have recently decided to take it out on the road and would at least do at least 10-20 miles at most at the weekend.
I was advised probably better getting a set of hybrid tyres on the bike as they are better on the road. Is this true?

Now would I be better just getting an extra set of wheels with hybrid tyres and change them myself and at least if I wanted to go on any forest, dirt or mountain tracks I could just change them over.

Where is the best place to get a set of mud flaps fitted and a drink holder fitted and more importantly at what cost?

Cheapest option is to buy another set of wheels. Id say wheels tyres inner tubes and freewheel you could do for under a ton. I did the same thing for my mountain bike as the original tyres were like something off a landrover, but you can go as low as 1" slicks on the same rim section. You can mud guards cheap enough and a bottle cage you can get for a fiver.

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: maddog on December 11, 2011, 10:07:08 PM

Cheapest option is to buy another set of wheels. Id say wheels tyres inner tubes and freewheel you could do for under a ton. I did the same thing for my mountain bike as the original tyres were like something off a landrover, but you can go as low as 1" slicks on the same rim section. You can mud guards cheap enough and a bottle cage you can get for a fiver.
Cheers Maddog. Did you mean you bought an extra set of wheels? Yeah the mountain bike tyres are rough tyres alright but I guess thats the purpose of them.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on December 11, 2011, 09:39:05 PM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on December 11, 2011, 09:22:54 PM

I know nothin about MB's but Hybrid  tyres are generally thinner - more like road tyres than MB tyres, would hardly be a straight swop? But if it was a straight swop it would definitely by a better tyre option on the road. With alternate wheels - will gearing need adjusted on every change? Brakes as well?

I would go to a local bike shop for some advice.

Gearing shouldnt need adjusting as long as you make sure you have the same freewheel on both rear wheels. The brakes can be a pain - they dont need adjusting for width as your rim section should be the same, but you will need to take the cable out of the little cage to loosen them enough to get the wheel out. I always find then you need to readjust the little tensioner screw to get them braking evenly again. Its easy enough once shown.

maddog

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on December 11, 2011, 10:11:08 PM
Quote from: maddog on December 11, 2011, 10:07:08 PM

Cheers Maddog. Did you mean you bought an extra set of wheels? Yeah the mountain bike tyres are rough tyres alright but I guess thats the purpose of them.

yeah bought another set through ebay and just got a freewheel at local bike shop. What sort of grade of mountain bike is it ? What id be getting at is you wouldnt want to spend a lot if the bike itself wasnt that big a purchase in the first place.

gerry

Quote from: Orior on December 11, 2011, 10:00:49 PM
Quote from: gerry on December 11, 2011, 09:50:03 PM

Did your front wheel sink in the sand? Geez, I wish I had seen that, lol.

yep, i was coming back from a spin and was cycling across the beach with all the gear on when i lost the front wheel while leaving the beach.  there were about 3 cars behind me with 4 waiting to come onto the beach.  there was nothing else for it but to hang my head  and walk on
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,